The simFlight Network Forums

Downloading latest modules

Hi Pete

Hope you are well - just a question:

Just a thought on the updating of your various modules. You, quite rightly, extol us to use the latest versions of your software but the actual process of seeing if there is an update can be quite confusing.

On the modules sub-forums tab: the "Download links" shows a date of 17 January 2011 for FSUIP client dll for .NET.

Click on download links and under 'Updated Modules' the date is 25 January 2011for FSUIPC 4.657 and 3.989 w . . . , but on the 'Last Post Info' the date is Oct 19 2010. Is there any easy way to flag on the modules sub-forum download links a date that is for the latest of any download?

With regard to the 'Updated Modules' tab could this be changed to 'Updated FSUIPC/4, Wide Client, PFC /FSX Modules'?

Just a thought these changes might make it easier to update the module at the correct time.

I fully understand if this is quite difficult to achieve under the new system. :???:

Regards

PeterH

Click on download links and under 'Updated Modules' the date is 25 January 2011for FSUIPC 4.657 and 3.989 w . . . , but on the 'Last Post Info' the date is Oct 19 2010.

Unfortunately the only way to get that date changed is to delete the post and post a new one. I'm not going to do that I'm afraid.

Is there any easy way to flag on the modules sub-forum download links a date that is for the latest of any download?

Not that I've found. The best that seems to be possible is what I'm actually doing: flagging the latest update in the subtitle for the Updated Modules thread. Didn't you notice that? I include the date too!

With regard to the 'Updated Modules' tab could this be changed to 'Updated FSUIPC/4, Wide Client, PFC /FSX Modules'?

Until recently I used to add the date of the last change to the actual thread title, but I was asked to use the subtitle, as I do now, because changing the title wrecks any links folks have posted to that thread. Unlike the previous Forum software, links on this one appear to use the titles rather than a thread number.

Just a thought these changes might make it easier to update the module at the correct time.

It was precisely for this reason I started using the subtitles, which perhaps you've not noticed? Please look again. Currently the thread title and subtitle reads:

Updated modules

FSUIPC 4.657 and 3.989w [25th January 2011]

However, it is not all that important for folks to use the latest interim update. The oldest supported version is still always the one on the Schiratti website, the main download place. Most increments provided here change odd things as requested by individuals and then made available to all. I only ask folks to try the latest here if they have a problem. This is because there is always a chance that problem has been fixed and it saves everyone time -- I would only use the latest when checking, so it's best if things match. But apart from problems and folks wanting to make use of new facilities, there is not really any need to update increments, and especially not every day or week or whenever they are posted.

Regards

Pete