The simFlight Network Forums

Wide FS

Hello

Am I trying to do something that will not work,or have I got to adjust some of my settings. For many years I have enjoyed my WideFs talking to my other M/c's on XP

I have now changed my main Flight Sim M/C to Win-7 which is as far as I know still on the same network,but I am unable to get my WideFs to connect to my Win-7 machine to work in FS2004.

Any simple solution would be most welcome but I'm no expert on any of this protocol adjustments and I have to call in a man that does.

Regards Roy EGMC

Am I trying to do something that will not work,or have I got to adjust some of my settings. For many years I have enjoyed my WideFs talking to my other M/c's on XP

I have now changed my main Flight Sim M/C to Win-7 which is as far as I know still on the same network,but I am unable to get my WideFs to connect to my Win-7 machine to work in FS2004.

Did you read the part of the WideFS user guide about configuring the network, especially the part with a RED banner suggesting that it is important to read some of it?

Any simple solution would be most welcome but I'm no expert on any of this protocol adjustments and I have to call in a man that does.

There's no such thing as 'protocol adjustments' for WideFS. You either name your workgroup consistently across all your computers, which is the most sensible thing to do, or you tell WideClient the name of your server which it otherwise cannot find when its not in the same workgroup. Win7 and Vista have different default workgroup names to XP.

Pete

In answer to your question about reading The Red Banner mine has not got a red banner,however in add in lines suggested do I have to type ServerName= and then NameofServer as shown and the same with the Protocol line Protocol=TCP

In answer to your question about reading The Red Banner mine has not got a red banner

If your WideFS User guide does not have this:

Configure your Network

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS TO READ AT LEAST PART OF THIS!

WideFS uses ...

section then I don't know what version you downloaded, because that's been there a long time now!

however in add in lines suggested do I have to type ServerName= and then NameofServer as shown and the same with the Protocol line Protocol=TCP

If you can't work out how to make your two PCs belong to the same workgroup, yes, you can do that, but you'd be better off having computers properly networked in the same group. Right click the "Computer" or "My Computer" icon on the desktop and look for the Computer Name section. On XP it's a tab, and in there you can change the WorkGroup name. In Vista and Win7 the Properties show it part way down and you can edit it by clicking the 'change settings' option to the right.

Pete