The simFlight Network Forums

Computer graphics issue

Hi

This is not directly FSUIPC related, although I cannot open the FSUIPC from within FS9 without the sim freezing up and crashing.

I have a problem with my video card/drivers (ATI 5850) and I am hoping someone with a bit more computer knowledge than me can help.

I recenty tried to update my ATI drivers. Downloaded latest from AMD/ATI website (64 bit drivers). Uninstalled the ATI CCC and install manager (which I understand uninstalls existing drivers). Then ran the downloaded driver file which installed ok. However on reboot I either get the blue screen of death, or if not the device manager tells me the drivers are not working. So I have to use the device manager to roll back to previous drivers. This works , but I am getting issues such as crashes when I open FSUIPC.

What I want to do is completely uninstall existing ATI drivers and clean up any remaining driver files so i can try a really clean install. I have had a look at programs such as Driver Sweeper and Driver Boost, but I am frightened to death they will delete/clean up the wrong files (there are so many beginning ati... in System32 folder or System32/drivers folder)!

Can anyone provide any help so I can try a clean install. I am running Windows7 64 bit Home Premium.

I will be eternally grateful.

Peter

This is not directly FSUIPC related, although I cannot open the FSUIPC from within FS9 without the sim freezing up and crashing.

Really? In both Windowed and full screen modes? If it is only in full screen mode then it is a video driver problem.

What I want to do is completely uninstall existing ATI drivers and clean up any remaining driver files so i can try a really clean install. I have had a look at programs such as Driver Sweeper and Driver Boost, but I am frightened to death they will delete/clean up the wrong files (there are so many beginning ati... in System32 folder or System32/drivers folder)!

I'm afraid I've never used any ATI drivers, having always stuck with nVidia based cards. The more recent nVidia drivers offer a "clean install" option, and they then do the full uninstall for you automatically. Before that I only used to do an uninstall from the Windows Settings-Add & Remove Programs (or just "Programs" these days I think), which certainly never removed all the bits and pieces.

I looked at Driver Sweeper once, but like you I was reluctant to get it to do anything much because i didn't know what all the references involved. There's also a program called Revo Uninstaller, which is good for most applications but I've never tried it on drivers.

Can anyone provide any help so I can try a clean install. I am running Windows7 64 bit Home Premium.

Perhaps you should ask over in one of the more hardware or general help Forums? Maybe someone here can help, but more probably not.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

The freeze occurs in windowed mode, which I use all the time now. On this computer full screen mode would give me display problems so I have been running in windowed mode for ove a year now with no issues. Maybe my vidoe card is on its way out.

edit: actually, I can open the FSUIPC window from the FS9 menu, but when I perform a task such as trying to create a mouse macro, I get the freeze up.

Peter