The simFlight Network Forums

Mouse macro & Short name substring

I have just recently installed the IFLY 737 and have been making all the necessary assignments using FSUIPC. My question revolves around the following:

Some functions on the IFLY cannot be assigned to some of the keys, e.g. [, ]' ", /, \, keys. So I created a mouse macro assigning those keys to a desired function. They work just fine. What I want to know is, if there is a way to have those macros work with other models of the IFLY 737. For example, I have macros assigned to the 737-800 and they appear to work well with all the liveries I have for the 738. But if I switch to the 600 or 700 models, they do not work. I'm not using Profiles. Since I have the settings for Substring in the .ini, is there a way I can get those macros to work with the various models without going through each model and remaking those assignments? All the other assignments transfer to all models, but not the macros.

Thanks for the help.

Jim D.

What I want to know is, if there is a way to have those macros work with other models of the IFLY 737. For example, I have macros assigned to the 737-800 and they appear to work well with all the liveries I have for the 738. But if I switch to the 600 or 700 models, they do not work. I'm not using Profiles. Since I have the settings for Substring in the .ini, is there a way I can get those macros to work with the various models without going through each model and remaking those assignments? All the other assignments transfer to all models, but not the macros.

If you have the parameter "ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring" in the [General] part of the FSUIPC INI file, all you need to do is go through the INI, finding each [... ] section heading which mentions the aircraft name and edit that name to a shorter name which contains a part which occurs in all of the IFLY 737 names, possibly, for example, "IFLY 737"?

You only then need one section of each type, like

[Keys.IFLY 737]

[buttons.IFLY 737]

[JoystickCalibrations.IFLY 737]

[Axes.IFLY 737]

so just delete those others which you don't need. Be sure to keep the ones in which you've done all the work. They'll presumably be the largest?

Regards

Pete

If you have the parameter "ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring" in the [General] part of the FSUIPC INI file, all you need to do is go through the INI, finding each [... ] section heading which mentions the aircraft name and edit that name to a shorter name which contains a part which occurs in all of the IFLY 737 names, possibly, for example, "IFLY 737"?

You only then need one section of each type, like

[Keys.IFLY 737]

[buttons.IFLY 737]

[JoystickCalibrations.IFLY 737]

[Axes.IFLY 737]

so just delete those others which you don't need. Be sure to keep the ones in which you've done all the work. They'll presumably be the largest?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, I have the sections set up like that already and all works as it should. However, when creating a macro, there is a new section in the ini with the heading [Macro]. Should I delete the heading and move the macro settings into the proper section? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks for the response.

Jim D.

Yes, I have the sections set up like that already and all works as it should. However, when creating a macro, there is a new section in the ini with the heading [Macro].

No, there's a section called [MacroFiles] which simply assigns index numbers to each macro file you have in your Modules folder.

Macro assignments are in the [Keys...], [Axes ...] and [buttons ...] sections, which can be specific to each aircraft, as I said.

Should I delete the heading and move the macro settings into the proper section? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

I've really no idea what you are talking about here. Mouse macros are saved in macro files, with the name you provide and a filetype of .mcro. That's where they are stored. The [MacroFiles] index numbers those files, and the macros are related to Buttons and Keys in their respective sections.

Please explain. Don't rush off and do anything yet ...

Pete

No, there's a section called [MacroFiles] which simply assigns index numbers to each macro file you have in your Modules folder.

Macro assignments are in the [Keys...], [Axes ...] and [buttons ...] sections, which can be specific to each aircraft, as I said.

I've really no idea what you are talking about here. Mouse macros are saved in macro files, with the name you provide and a filetype of .mcro. That's where they are stored. The [MacroFiles] index numbers those files, and the macros are related to Buttons and Keys in their respective sections.

Please explain. Don't rush off and do anything yet ...

Pete

Here's what appeared in the ini file after I assigned the buttons and keys for the IFLY 737.

Then I made the macros as shown in [MacroFiles], except for #4 which I may have started and never completed.

[Keys.iFly]

1=36,8,M4:4,0

2=35,8,1007,0

4=221,8,M4:6,0

6=220,8,M3:1,0

8=191,8,M4:3,0

10=222,8,M4:2,0

12=219,8,M4:1,0

[buttons.iFly]

0=P1,2,C65910,0

1=P1,3,C65911,0

2=P1,11,C65914,0

3=P0,14,C65752,0

4=P0,15,C66483,0

5=P0,16,CM1:1,0

6=P0,17,CM1:1,0

7=P0,18,CM2:1,0

8=P0,19,CM2:1,0

9=R0,21,C65966,10

10=U0,21,C65964,10

11=R0,22,C65971,0

12=U0,22,C65969,0

13=P1,4,C65913,0

14=P1,5,C65912,0

[MacroFiles]

1=IFLY AUTO BRAKE

2=IFLY FValve 1

3=IFLY FValve 2

4=IFLY

The macros work with the 800 model as that is where I made the assignments but do not work with other models like the 700.

So the question is, Can these macros work with all iFLY models without having to make assignments in each model? Or can I change the [MacroFile] heading to [buttons.iFLY] so they apply to all models? Just fishing here.

Jim

Here's what appeared in the ini file after I assigned the buttons and keys for the IFLY 737.

Then I made the macros as shown in [MacroFiles], except for #4 which I may have started and never completed.

Yes, as I said, the section is [MacroFiles] and that is simply an index to the files on disc. The macro actions are assigned to Keys and Buttons in their own sections, see the bold parts in your own settings:

[Keys.iFly]

1=36,8,M4:4,0

2=35,8,1007,0

4=221,8,M4:6,0

6=220,8,M3:1,0

8=191,8,M4:3,0

10=222,8,M4:2,0

12=219,8,M4:1,0

[buttons.iFly]

0=P1,2,C65910,0

1=P1,3,C65911,0

2=P1,11,C65914,0

3=P0,14,C65752,0

4=P0,15,C66483,0

5=P0,16,CM1:1,0

6=P0,17,CM1:1,0

7=P0,18,CM2:1,0

8=P0,19,CM2:1,0

9=R0,21,C65966,10

10=U0,21,C65964,10

11=R0,22,C65971,0

12=U0,22,C65969,0

13=P1,4,C65913,0

14=P1,5,C65912,0

In Keys the M means Macro, the number following that is the file number, the number after the : is the macro number in the file, and the last number is the parameter for it, if any. In Buttons it is the same but starts with a C to indicate Control (as opposed to K for Keystroke -- the right and left parts of the Button Assignments tab.

The macros work with the 800 model as that is where I made the assignments but do not work with other models like the 700.

In the Macro files themselves, doesn't it identify the Gauge name which processes these mouse macros? If each model uses different gauges then the macros are not transferable -- each macro you make relates to CODE within the Gauge, and different gauge code will have the functions in different places. FSUIPC has to know where is the code to call when you press the key or button.

Regards

Pete

Yes, as I said, the section is [MacroFiles] and that is simply an index to the files on disc. The macro actions are assigned to Keys and Buttons in their own sections, see the bold parts in your own settings:

In Keys the M means Macro, the number following that is the file number, the number after the : is the macro number in the file, and the last number is the parameter for it, if any. In Buttons it is the same but starts with a C to indicate Control (as opposed to K for Keystroke -- the right and left parts of the Button Assignments tab.

In the Macro files themselves, doesn't it identify the Gauge name which processes these mouse macros? If each model uses different gauges then the macros are not transferable -- each macro you make relates to CODE within the Gauge, and different gauge code will have the functions in different places. FSUIPC has to know where is the code to call when you press the key or button.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'm not sure if the gauges are different in each model, but they might be. If they are, that explains the problem.

I appreciate the explanations and I will press on.

Jim D.

I'm not sure if the gauges are different in each model, but they might be. If they are, that explains the problem.

Just look inside the Macro files (the ones with filetype .mcro) in your FS Modules folder. They are text files, like the FSUIPC INI file. If the macros are dependent upon a specific Gauge file, it will show the name in the "Module" line.

Try creating a macro with one of the other IFly aircraft and see if it uses the same gauge. If so, then the original macros you made for that gauge should work okay -- although there is one other possibility. If the gauges have the same name but are loaded from a different place and are at different revision levels, that could also explain it. Details of the gauges used by an aircraft are contained in its PANEL.CFG file, and the correct Panel folder is determined by the "Panel=..." line in the Aircraft.CFG Again, all these files are text files in the same sort of format as FSUIPC's INI file.file.

Regards

Pete

Just look inside the Macro files (the ones with filetype .mcro) in your FS Modules folder. They are text files, like the FSUIPC INI file. If the macros are dependent upon a specific Gauge file, it will show the name in the "Module" line.

Try creating a macro with one of the other IFly aircraft and see if it uses the same gauge. If so, then the original macros you made for that gauge should work okay -- although there is one other possibility. If the gauges have the same name but are loaded from a different place and are at different revision levels, that could also explain it. Details of the gauges used by an aircraft are contained in its PANEL.CFG file, and the correct Panel folder is determined by the "Panel=..." line in the Aircraft.CFG Again, all these files are text files in the same sort of format as FSUIPC's INI file.file.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry it took longer than I thought to respond. It appears that different guages are used for different aircraft nessitating the need to make macros for each plane, unless you see something different.

[Macros]

Module="iFly737-800.GAU"

1=V SPD Dwn=RX1c2600*X5190

2=V SPD Up=RX1c2900*X5190

3=V/S=RX1c1630*X5190

4=AP ON/OFF=RX1bfe70*Xa190

5=Auto Brake Rght=RX2181c0*X8390

6=RTO=RX218210*Xa190

7=IFLY FValve 1=RX211010*Xa190

Module1="iFly737-600.GAU"

7=fuel valve 1=R1:X20f330*Xa190

8=Ver Spd Dn=R1:X1c1b80*X5190

Thanks for the help.

Jim D.

It appears that different guages are used for different aircraft nessitating the need to make macros for each plane, unless you see something different.

Module="iFly737-800.GAU"

Module1="iFly737-600.GAU"

Yes, confirmed. Sorry, there's no other way in that case.

Regards

Pete