The simFlight Network Forums

Using config profiles in new installation

I am upgrading from W7 32 to 64 bit which means I have to reinstall everything including, of course, FSUIPC. My question is can I save the old config file that contains the specific airplane profiles I have already set up and just copy those profiles over to the new config file? It would sure make life a lot easier. Or maybe I should switch to using profiles instead of a/c specific.

I am upgrading from W7 32 to 64 bit which means I have to reinstall everything including, of course, FSUIPC. My question is can I save the old config file that contains the specific airplane profiles I have already set up and just copy those profiles over to the new config file? It would sure make life a lot easier. Or maybe I should switch to using profiles instead of a/c specific.

Just save the FSUIPC INI file (the "configuration settings") plus any macro files (.mcro) and Lua plug-ins (.lua) you may have created, downloaded or whatever. These are all in the FS Modules folder. You can put them in the new Modules folder after installing FS and FSUIPC, and re-registering same.

There's is no problem transferring aircraft specific or Profile settings, as the names used don't change. However, if you have more than one controller (yoke, pedals, throttle) on separate USB connections you might want to consider using the Joystick lettering facilities in FSUIPC before you lose your current setup. The joystick numbering using the Windows-assigned IDs which identify your different control devices might change in the new setup, and this will make all your current assignments get mixed up on wrong devices. FSUIPC can track devices, but it needs to be told to use letters instead of the ID numbers, over which it has no control. There's a chapter about all this in the User Guide.

Regards

Pete

I was able to copy two specific a/c profiles from the old config file to the new and it worked then I thought why not just switch to using Profiles and I did. That is really the way to go. I just renamed my Lear - 45 to Twin Engine Jet and added the stock CRJ and 737and it worked. I also deleted the "paint..." portion of the description for each of those so that all paints would be picked up of course it worked. I will be installing Captain Sim 757 today and expect it to work too. Thanks Pete! Great addition to your program.