The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Rudder Pedal Toe Brakes

Hi Folks

After many years of flight simming, I finally upgraded to a PFC yoke and rudder pedals.

PFC doesn't have a forum and my web searches tonight seem to point to FSUIPC as a possible solution for the following gliche.

Although I have (5) GoFlight modules and their throttle quadrant... I have been able to run everything through FSX + I don't have FSUIPC... but think I may finally need it and would appreciate some advice in that regard.

The PFC toe brakes lock on when pressed and have to use CTRL . to release them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Rick / Canada

PFC doesn't have a forum

Really? That seems to contradict what appears on its website at this page: http://www.flypfc.com/index.php?page_id=4

The PFC toe brakes lock on when pressed and have to use CTRL . to release them.

I've never heard of locking toe brakes. And Ctrl . operates the PARKING brake, not the toe brakes -- if engaging the parking brakes actually removes braking then it sounds like you have assigned to the parking brake not the toe brake axes. Or do you mean using Ctrl . twice, to toggle the parking brake on then off?

What is more likely the case is that your brakes aren't properly calibrated. Did you try calibrating in Windows game controllers applet? You should also apply a little null zone (one of FS's sliders) so that when you are using the rudders you are not accidentally also applying brakes. You should be able to apply a bit of top pressure on the levers before the brakes engage at all.

Pete

Good Morning Pete and thanks for the reply....

Yes... PFC does show a forum listed.... but I get "Server Not Found" when I try to access it.

I did calibrate under FSX / Windows 7 , but all it shows under PFC Pedal assignments under the control axis tab are: Brake (Left axis) Y Axis, Brake (Right Axis) X Axis, Rudder Axis, Z Rotation

Cannot assign anything under the Buttons/Keys tab: Brakes (apply/release)

It makes sense about the Parking Brake... but I don't have a joystick assignment under that event ????

First time I've ever had a problem calibrating controls... should have stayed with the 'cheap-stuff' :)

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a Great Day

Rick / Canada

Yes... PFC does show a forum listed.... but I get "Server Not Found" when I try to access it.

Strange. Used to work. You might need to make use of the 'phone support.

I did calibrate under FSX / Windows 7 , but all it shows under PFC Pedal assignments under the control axis tab are: Brake (Left axis) Y Axis, Brake (Right Axis) X Axis, Rudder Axis, Z Rotation

Cannot assign anything under the Buttons/Keys tab: Brakes (apply/release)

But your brake pedals ARE axes, so calibrate those two.

It makes sense about the Parking Brake... but I don't have a joystick assignment under that event ????

You mean they DO release with only one press of Ctrl . ?

First time I've ever had a problem calibrating controls... should have stayed with the 'cheap-stuff'

You don't say what the calibration problem is? Are you sure it isn't just the lack of a null zone setting in FS? The PFXC stuff is all really excellent, but calibration and so on isn't really much different from any other controls. For their USB stuff they have and supply a calibration program, I think.

Regards

Pete

Hi again Pete

Just got home from work and sent an E-Mail to PFC to see what's up with their Forum. I'll let you folks know what they say.

The brakes release after pressing [ . ] not [ cntrl . ]

I'm going to reset to defaults and start from square one... make sure there's a sufficient null zone and see what happens

You were correct.... Issue resolved !

Reset to default and worked my back from 100% sensitivity and null zone until the brakes failed to release again then bumped up the settings to where they did... and all seems to be well.

The word on the street is right Pete... You ARE the best !

Thanks again + have a Great Weekend !!

Rick / Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,I am having a similar problem but with FSUIPC assignment not FSX.My brakes work fine when assigned in FSX,but when I delete them in FSX and assign them in FSUIPC the "Brakes" light comes on and the brakes are on.Plane won't move.Hit CTRL B and the "Parking Brakes" come on.Hit CTRL B again and both go off.I have the brakes assigned in FSUIPC<left brake/right brake and calibrated.So right now I have my brakes assigned thru FSX and all other controls thru FSUIPC.No problem,but I would like to solve the problem.Thanks,Ron

Pete,I am having a similar problem but with FSUIPC assignment not FSX.My brakes work fine when assigned in FSX,but when I delete them in FSX and assign them in FSUIPC the "Brakes" light comes on and the brakes are on.Plane won't move.Hit CTRL B and the "Parking Brakes" come on.Hit CTRL B again and both go off.I have the brakes assigned in FSUIPC<left brake/right brake and calibrated.

Sounds exactly like you have calibrated them incorrectly. There is no way they will stay on if you've done it correctly. Note than many toe brake axes on pedals are reversed -- they provide their maximum value with feet off, minimum when fully pressed. Did you check the "REV" option before calibrating?

BTW why Ctrl B? Have you reassigned keys for brakes. FS always uses the . (full stop) for brakes and parking brakes.

Pete

Sounds exactly like you have calibrated them incorrectly. There is no way they will stay on if you've done it correctly. Note than many toe brake axes on pedals are reversed -- they provide their maximum value with feet off, minimum when fully pressed. Did you check the "REV" option before calibrating?

BTW why Ctrl B? Have you reassigned keys for brakes. FS always uses the . (full stop) for brakes and parking brakes.

Pete

Thanks for the reply.I have them working properly when assigned in FSX with reverse checked.Thanks for the explanation for that,I always wondered why we had to check reverse.It is in FSUIPC that I have the problem.I will try recalibrating there.I did not see a reverse check box in FSUIPC.I just set neg value,push the toe pedal then positive one,correct?They work when I apply them but they stay on.I will check my parking brake assignments is FSX.I once had them assigned to a button on my yoke,but I know that is not there anymore.Ron

I will try recalibrating there.I did not see a reverse check box in FSUIPC.

It's labelled "REV" but if you change it you MUST re-calibrate.

I just set neg value,push the toe pedal then positive one,correct?

If they go -ve to +ve when pushing, then they are already operating in the correct direction, so don't change the reverse box. However, why that conflicts with what you see in FS itself defeats me.

But in any case, from what you now tell me, it is plain that you are NOT following the steps to a good calibration! Please refer to the numbered steps in the User guide. That's why they are there, to help you calibrate correctly. To start with you should press the brakes somewhat BEFORE even selecting the minimum value, to ensure there is always a null zone free of brakes with pressure off or slight (as when using the rudder). Similarly set the maximum slightly before you reach the highest value to ensure you can always achieve maximum braking when needed.

Please, please, please follow the instructions. I really shouldn't need to repeat them here when they are clearly published. :-(

Pete

It's labelled "REV" but if you change it you MUST re-calibrate.

If they go -ve to +ve when pushing, then they are already operating in the correct direction, so don't change the reverse box. However, why that conflicts with what you see in FS itself defeats me.

But in any case, from what you now tell me, it is plain that you are NOT following the steps to a good calibration! Please refer to the numbered steps in the User guide. That's why they are there, to help you calibrate correctly. To start with you should press the brakes somewhat BEFORE even selecting the minimum value, to ensure there is always a null zone free of brakes with pressure off or slight (as when using the rudder). Similarly set the maximum slightly before you reach the highest value to ensure you can always achieve maximum braking when needed.

Please, please, please follow the instructions. I really shouldn't need to repeat them here when they are clearly published. :-(

Pete

Problem solved(I think).I had a stuck button on my yoke that was interfering with parking brakes.I now have them working with ".".I used FSUIPC to calibrate brakes and they seem to be working fine.I do use the manual but sometimes I get ahead of myself.Always had that problem.If all else fails,"read the instructions dummy!"Thanks for the support.Ron