The simFlight Network Forums

Elevator trim up and down button control

Hello,

If I want to control the elevator trim up and trim down buttons from another hardware and not choose the trim up and trim down feature of FS which offset do I have to read or update? Or if worst comes to worst which offset is being updated to understand if the elev trim button is up or down. 3370 series was not clear so I need help please.

barkay

If I want to control the elevator trim up and trim down buttons from another hardware and not choose the trim up and trim down feature of FS which offset do I have to read or update?

Why don't you want to use the FS controls for it?

Generally trim is not controlled by buttons, but by a trim wheel. Some aircraft have electric trim also using buttons on the yoke. What is it you wish to do, use a trim axis (like a wheel), or two buttons?

There are, of course, offsets listed which reflect the current elevator trim value, and which can by written to with a different value to change it. You can find those easily enough by searching the offsets list for "trim" (you'll also find aileron and rudder trim of course). If you merely want to send the FS trm up and trim down controls from a program you would send those controls via offset 3110, which accommodates any controls along with an optional parameter (though those particular controls take none).

Or if worst comes to worst which offset is being updated to understand if the elev trim button is up or down.

There's nothing to indicate a button up or down other than reading the button states, as FSUIPC does. If you want to test joystick buttons from your own program you would use either the "joyGetPosEx" Windows API, or the more modern DirectInput interface, which is a bit complicated. If FSUIPC is scanning the joystick in any case (because you have made some button assignments for it) then there are offsets in which you can read the button states. But why do you want to do this? If I understood what you are trying to achieve maybe I could provide more explicit help.

3370 series was not clear so I need help please.

What's "3370 series"? Sorry, you've lost me there.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

What I wanted to do is to assign the home built yoke switches via opencockpits cards and send a trim up or trim down command. I do not want to use joystick card for that. So I was searching for a value to update so that the aircraft gets the trim up or down command from my buttons. In opencockpits software it simply works as you identify the switch and give a command for a relevant function. In my case it is elevator trim up and down buttons.

Help?

barkay

What I wanted to do is to assign the home built yoke switches via opencockpits cards and send a trim up or trim down command. I do not want to use joystick card for that. So I was searching for a value to update so that the aircraft gets the trim up or down command from my buttons. In opencockpits software it simply works as you identify the switch and give a command for a relevant function. In my case it is elevator trim up and down buttons.

Aha! So you DO really want to use the FS controls for trim up and down.

In that case just write the appropriate control values to offset 3110, the one i referred you to. You can use that for any FS control (and most FSUIPC added controls). You can find the control values in the controls list installed in your FSUIPC documents folder.

BTW i still don't understand what "3370 series" is. I did Google it, but only came up with something about "Fiberlink 3370 3G/HD/SD-SDI & Data Series (3370 Fiber Optic Transmitter)".

Regards

Pete