The simFlight Network Forums

Strange behaviour of ASE and RC

Since I installed FSUIPC 4.70 (I'm pretty sure, since I didn't touch ASE or RC nor install anything for those addons or changed any files for them) I'm getting strange ASE & RC behavior... before I never had this problem I already red about RC designating the opposite runway... now when 50NM before landing the weather report gives me the opposite runway than later I get from Approach. I use UT2 (50NM spawn distance) and MTX together. Also I started getting strange (too high) winds aloft.. for example in ASE program screen it says -50C but in FSX I'm getting -20C ... the other day it just stayed at +21C even at flight level.. again, all that started to happen when I updated FSUIPC. It may be something else but it looks like it's connected to the update. Anybody else with that problem? Before I was using 4.6..something..something.. update.

Since I installed FSUIPC 4.70 (I'm pretty sure, since I didn't touch ASE or RC nor install anything for those addons or changed any files for them) I'm getting strange ASE & RC behavior... before I never had this problem I already red about RC designating the opposite runway... now when 50NM before landing the weather report gives me the opposite runway than later I get from Approach. I use UT2 (50NM spawn distance) and MTX together. Also I started getting strange (too high) winds aloft.. for example in ASE program screen it says -50C but in FSX I'm getting -20C ... the other day it just stayed at +21C even at flight level.. again, all that started to happen when I updated FSUIPC. It may be something else but it looks like it's connected to the update. Anybody else with that problem? Before I was using 4.6..something..something.. update.

There's no change in any area related to weather in FSUIPC 4.70 specifically -- the changes for ASE DWC mode went in a while ago. I can't tell from what you say whether you were already using the new ASE-derived weather for RC or not. If not then possibly you are seeing some problem with ASE's new facilities to provide proper local METAR's when using global weather (i.e. its DWC facilities). I think they were wrong until the updated build B646.

If you don't want RC to read the specific local weather from ASE, set or add UseASEWeather=No into fSUIPC4.INI [General] section before loading FSX.

By default FSUIPC4 only gets the weather data direct from ASE when the latter is setting FSX into global weather mode. This is to overcome the incorrect weather reported otherwise. DWC mode makes the weather the same all over the world.

However, none of this can possibly affect the actual weather in FSX. Your "strange (too high) winds aloft" (huh?) and "in ASE program screen it says -50C but in FSX I'm getting -20C ... the other day it just stayed at +21C even at flight level" cannot be anything to do with FSUIPC whatsoever as it doesn't have any control over the weather if you are using ASE. Only ASE has any say in what FSX is doing in those areas.

Regards

Pete

Yeah, I know it's a bit cryptic, but that's exactly what I'm seeing and English is not my first language..

I was using version 4.669 before. I have UseASEWeather=Yes under General since that's what is recommended at RC forum. I use DWC (Standard mode gives me too much stutters every 10 minutes when updating). I use ASE version B642 since this is the latest version I found on their website. Where can one get B646?

First I'll try to install the newest ASE version if that won't help I'll try 4.669 again and see if it makes any difference.. can I just copy fsuipc.dll file (4.669) over newly installed 4.70(B)?

I was using version 4.669 before.

That was the release candidate for 4.70 and is identical in all but number.

I have UseASEWeather=Yes under General since that's what is recommended at RC forum.

No idea why. That forces FSUIPC to supply weather to RC from ASE in all ASE modes, not just DWC modes. I did see one such recommendation and questioned it then. Strange how some folks want to do things.

I use DWC (Standard mode gives me too much stutters every 10 minutes when updating). I use ASE version B642 since this is the latest version I found on their website. Where can one get B646?

Isn't it generally available yet? Perhaps Damian is still waiting for feedback from the RC users -- this is discussed on the RC Forum and I'm sure the link was published there to get the fixed version for folks to try. Go to the RC Forum and do a search on "B646". I'm sure it'll find it. Better also ask at HiFi Sims why it isn't released yet. Maybe Damian forgot or has gone on holiday?

First I'll try to install the newest ASE version if that won't help I'll try 4.669 again and see if it makes any difference.. can I just copy fsuipc.dll file (4.669) over newly installed 4.70(B)?

You can but there's no point. They are identical, just a re-build for release.

Pete

All,

RC Integration was in B638.

SP2 is B642 so the RC things are in that.

B646 in the RC forum is attempting to fix the calm wind situations and runway assignments in ASE/FSX/RC.

There is even a B647 but that fixes another issue.

We are trying to get these little fixes into place before releasing another full fledged SP.

Pete,

I have FSUIPC registered, version 4.667, and ASE Build 644. I use Standard Mode only in ASE,

I have the "UseASEWeather=Yes" in the General section of the fsuipc4.ini file.

But from what you have said above, it appears that I should change the "yes" to a "no" since "yes" only applies to DWC mode.

Is that correct? Thanks.

I have FSUIPC registered, version 4.667, and ASE Build 644. I use Standard Mode only in ASE,

I have the "UseASEWeather=Yes" in the General section of the fsuipc4.ini file.

Why?

But from what you have said above, it appears that I should change the "yes" to a "no" since "yes" only applies to DWC mode.

Not so. The parameter really should be omitted altogether -- just delete the whole line. As documented, and explained for the umpteenth time it seems, "Yes" forces the use of ASE Weather for FS Metars, the "No" forces it not to use ASE weather, whilst simply omitting it, as per default and as recommended, makes it use ASE weather when it needs to -- i.e. in DWC mode -- but not when it doesn't.

The automatic action is best unless you have a jolly good reason to override it. I don't understand why folks are overriding it, and presumably without even reading the documentation about it! Someone has started this nonsense somewhere! :-(

Regards

Pete

Here's the root of this, as you say, nonsense...

http://forum.avsim.n...-ase-fsx-users/

Ah, I remember that. I couldn't reply there (it is locked like all those 'pinned' topics), but i did write to "ronzie" about it asking him to revise it. he said he would, but I don't think he can change it either. Probably got lost in JDs work list. :-(

It talks about old unsupported versions of FSUIPC4 and WideClient, too!

Regards

Pete