The simFlight Network Forums

Key Assignment

Hi Pete,

I have been trying to locate and assign a key or button to FSUIPC to get the Top Down -View for FS9 . I thought I had an assignment once for this through FSUIPC but cannot recall what it was.....can you help me here w/ details if possible.

Thank You much as Always

Vincent

I have been trying to locate and assign a key or button to FSUIPC to get the Top Down -View for FS9 . I thought I had an assignment once for this through FSUIPC but cannot recall what it was.....can you help me here w/ details if possible.

Probably "View Down". Have you tried that one?

Some of the View commands only operate as direct view changes in 2D cockpit mode -- in 3D mode they tend to pan instead. I'm not sure about this one.

Regards

Pete

Probably "View Down". Have you tried that one?

Some of the View commands only operate as direct view changes in 2D cockpit mode -- in 3D mode they tend to pan instead. I'm not sure about this one.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, I did try that one and many others...I don't know what I had in the past but I did have it at one time....maybe through FS9 cmds, but I have been using your program for as long as I can remember. I will continue to explore and if successful will let you know. Again Thank you as always..Vincent

I think the default top down view key on the keyboard is F9 does that work?

It could be, I don't know, I do not use FS9 cmds and have removed everyone of them so as not to conflict w/ FSUIPC and other acrft in house assignments. I suppose it is possible and probable that at one time I permitted the use of some CMDS by FS9 in conjunction w/ Petes program but this would have been some time ago. I hope my memory will hit me at some point....ha

P.S. It is possible w/ a mouse right click when outside of acrft to get the view desired thru menu but this is not the desired method.

Thanks Andy for your reply

Edited by TWA55

I think the default top down view key on the keyboard is F9 does that work?

If you know the keyboard shortcut for it, then all you need to do is enable event logging in FSUIPC, use the shortcut, then see what the log says.

I've just loaded FS9 and tried F9 but that doesn't seem to do anything. Shift+Num5 does the job, and logging the control sent does indeed show it is "VIEW DOWN". Releasing Shift+Num5 sends "VIEW RESET". I assigned F9 to VIEW DOWN and that works (without the reset, of course).

So, Vincent, I'm afraid I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Here it works in both 2D and VC mode. This is with a default aircraft. Maybe something you are using or have installed stops that control?

Regards

Pete

If you know the keyboard shortcut for it, then all you need to do is enable event logging in FSUIPC, use the shortcut, then see what the log says.

I've just loaded FS9 and tried F9 but that doesn't seem to do anything. Shift+Num5 does the job, and logging the control sent does indeed show it is "VIEW DOWN". Releasing Shift+Num5 sends "VIEW RESET". I assigned F9 to VIEW DOWN and that works (without the reset, of course).

So, Vincent, I'm afraid I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Here it works in both 2D and VC mode. This is with a default aircraft. Maybe something you are using or have installed stops that control?

Regards

Pete

I think there may be some confusion here and maybe my fault, View Down works in FSUIPC w/ the key assignment I assigned...what I am looking for is the Top Down-View in FS9 which is different. The FSUIPC Veiw Down is not the same as Top Down-View. Top Down View will show a small red cross as the airplane and this view is adjustable to various elevations, so as to see the entire airport. This view affords the simmer the ability to see exactly where the plane is in relation to the entire airport, very useful at night when you nn to see the acrft position in relation to gates , taxiways and runwys. If you look at the FS9 menu for View then View Mode ...top_down..... you will see what I mean. If I have mis-understood I apologize, I appreciate all the assistance here, Vincent

The FSUIPC Veiw Down is not the same as Top Down-View. Top Down View will show a small red cross as the airplane and this view is adjustable to various elevations, so as to see the entire airport. This view affords the simmer the ability to see exactly where the plane is in relation to the entire airport, very useful at night when you nn to see the acrft position in relation to gates , taxiways and runwys. If you look at the FS9 menu for View then View Mode ...top_down..... you will see what I mean.

Ah, what I think of as map view. Yes. In FSX that is easy enough as it is one of the Cameras. FSX has separately definable camera and there are some standard ones including that.

I find it a little difficult to help directly as I've not been a true FS9 user now for 6 years, being exclusively on FSX. In order to work it out for FS9 I'd need to try each control in turn till I found one that worked. looking at the list of FS9 controls I would suspect it could be one of the six VIEW AUX controls. Or you might simply need to toggle with something like VIEW MODE?

There's also FLIGHT MAP, NEW MAP, and MAP ZOOM FINE IN/OUT controls. They sound more likely perhaps?

There's a possibly alternative using FSUIPC's offsets. You'd need an "Offset Byte Set" with offset x8320 and parameter 5, as per this data from the offsets list:

8320 1

Byte value, the view mode in the currently selected window (read/write):

FS2004: 1=cockpit, 2=virtual cockpit, 3=tower, 4=spot plane, 5=top down

FS2002: 0=cockpit, 1=virtual cockpit, 2=tower, 4=spot plane, 7=top down

Regards

Pete

Ah, what I think of as map view. Yes. In FSX that is easy enough as it is one of the Cameras. FSX has separately definable camera and there are some standard ones including that.

I find it a little difficult to help directly as I've not been a true FS9 user now for 6 years, being exclusively on FSX. In order to work it out for FS9 I'd need to try each control in turn till I found one that worked. looking at the list of FS9 controls I would suspect it could be one of the six VIEW AUX controls. Or you might simply need to toggle with something like VIEW MODE?

There's also FLIGHT MAP, NEW MAP, and MAP ZOOM FINE IN/OUT controls. They sound more likely perhaps?

There's a possibly alternative using FSUIPC's offsets. You'd need an "Offset Byte Set" with offset x8320 and parameter 5, as per this data from the offsets list:

Regards

Pete

Thank's Pete, I will at some point recall what I did, getting old can be a bummer in some ways, Ha Ha , I hope you are spending more time w/ family these days. Take care and Thank you for all you have contributed to this great hobby. Vincent

Have you tried any of my suggestions? Certainly, even if all the others fail, the one using the FSUIPC offset should work okay.

Pete

I will be chking it out this weekend.....nn to read up on the manual about offsets....Thank you again, Vincent