The simFlight Network Forums

Saitek Separate Mixture Controls

Hi - I have run both the default Beech Baron BE58 and now have the Carenado version running.

All my control assignments work extremely well except the Mixture control levers (I run two Saitek sets of levers from the Pro Yoke System).

The two mixture control levers (working off the 2Y and 2Z axes) only give the fuel fully rich and fuel cut-off actions. I am sure I used to be able to 'lean-off' the fuel as per the real aircraft. What have I done wrong? I'm sure it must be me :sad:

I hope the answer isn't anything to do with a Lua! I'm not too good with that side of things.

Thanks in advance for any help ;-)

You need to ensure that it is calibrated correctly and that the calibration moves smoothly throughout the range.

I have Saitek TQs and use them without any problem for split throttles, mixtures and prop controls, so there's nothing specific to the Saitek controls that stops them working. Are you sure that you're assigning them as mixture controls and not fuel cut-off controls?

Those are the first two suggestions that come to mind.

Cheers,

Ian P.

You need to ensure that it is calibrated correctly and that the calibration moves smoothly throughout the range.

I have Saitek TQs and use them without any problem for split throttles, mixtures and prop controls, so there's nothing specific to the Saitek controls that stops them working. Are you sure that you're assigning them as mixture controls and not fuel cut-off controls?

Those are the first two suggestions that come to mind.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Yes, they are assigned as Mixture 1 and Mixture 2.

I 'appear' to have them calibrated correctly, by which I mean that within the calibration window each lever when moved shows full movement from +16320 to -16320 (plus/minus). I then click on the <Set> button for each position - Max- Min - just as I do for the throttle and prop control levers. I have the <No Reverse> selection ticked.

John

Yes, they are assigned as Mixture 1 and Mixture 2.

I 'appear' to have them calibrated correctly, by which I mean that within the calibration window each lever when moved shows full movement from +16320 to -16320 (plus/minus). I then click on the <Set> button for each position - Max- Min - just as I do for the throttle and prop control levers. I have the <No Reverse> selection ticked.

John

John

Are you assigning in FSX or FSUIPC4? Just make sure in either case that the axes are not assigned (duplicate) in both FSX and FSUIPC4 and if you are running the SST software (not drivers) that can interact with FSX/FSUIPC4 wrt to duplicate assignments. In fact, always check for duplicate axes as FSX can be sneaky and assign axes in any of your controllers including the mouse.

PeterH

John

Are you assigning in FSX or FSUIPC4? Just make sure in either case that the axes are not assigned (duplicate) in both FSX and FSUIPC4 and if you are running the SST software (not drivers) that can interact with FSX/FSUIPC4 wrt to duplicate assignments. In fact, always check for duplicate axes as FSX can be sneaky and assign axes in any of your controllers including the mouse.

PeterH

Peter, thanks for your interest.

I have assigned in FSUIPC4 only. I have just re-checked in FSX Controls and nothing appeared to be duplicated. Just to be sure, I have deleted all assignments (including keyboard) within FSX Controls, exited FSX and re-booted the computer. This has not changed anything (yet!).

Could you clarify - should I also remove the Saitek SST software altogether? If so, how do I do this? As well as your reply above I am also studying (very carefully :unsure: )the appendix you wrote for FSUIPC4. This appears to suggest that I do not use the Saitek SST software OR drivers - is this correct? At present, within Control Panel, Hardware, Device Manager, Throttle Quadrant USB, it shows 'Device working properly', but with the Saitek Driver installed. This suggests that I am using the SST software.

John

I don't think I have any drivers installed at the moment, I believe the Saitek devices are all running on generic Windows Human Interface Device drivers - that may well cause an effect, particularly if SST is assigning controls when it detects you have run a certain application. I have Logitech device software running for my steering wheel (which doesn't work on generic HID) and that changes the wheel setting depending on what application I am running.

Ian P.

John

Saitek have 2 pieces of software: 1) Drivers (see Ian P's reply above) [in Win 7 I have found these to be unnecessary]

2) SST programming software - when I wrote the appendix I found thet there seemed to be issues if used with FSX and FSUIPC4 and as the latter is excellent at assigning and calibrating axes etc, I uninstalled the SST programming software.

I didn't notice any issues with the drivers. However the SST P S is now a later version so things may have changed.

Regards

PeterH

John

Saitek have 2 pieces of software: 1) Drivers (see Ian P's reply above) [in Win 7 I have found these to be unnecessary]

2) SST programming software - when I wrote the appendix I found thet there seemed to be issues if used with FSX and FSUIPC4 and as the latter is excellent at assigning and calibrating axes etc, I uninstalled the SST programming software.

I didn't notice any issues with the drivers. However the SST P S is now a later version so things may have changed.

Regards

PeterH

:?: I know I'm being very boring, but how do I check if I have got the SST software loaded? If I do, how do I get rid of it?

I've looked at Control Panel>Programs but I don't see it listed. Is it buried within FSX?

John

Hi John

It should be in the Program Folder (maybe x86) - I haven't installed it for years so my memory is hazy. But there should be a shortcut to it (probably on the start menu too) and it only affects FSX if you initiated it to do so. You could use Belarc adviser to see what software is installed and it would show up there. If you have win XP 7/vista it will be listed in the "all programs" button. You would remember if you installed it because you have to assign axes and buttons before you can use it.

I would say that you do NOT have the SST software installed.

Regards

PeterH

I would say that you do NOT have the SST software installed.

Regards

PeterH

No - you are quite right, I do not have it installed.

Do you think I may need to re-install or repair? It would be quite a drastic step, but as I seem to be the only person with this problem .....

It's odd that everything else works fine for the Baron simulation.

When I fly the PMDG 747-400X the same two quadrant levers work as throttle number 4 and flap lever. It suggests there is nothing wrong with either the 'throttle quadrant' or the computer connections.

:sad: