The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient

Hi Pete, can you offer advice? I recently upgraded my PM Glass Cockpit builds to 487. I run one main Server P.C. with FSUIPC (latest build) and four Client P.C.s My Server runs Windows 7 64bit and Clients Windows 2000 pro. I was having a couple of problems, and noticed a Post in the PM forum saying to solve 'their' problem they updated their WideClient program. I have just tried this, and WideClient will not start. Is this because it is no longer compatible with Windows 2000? Starts O.K. on 'this' P.C. running XP 64 bit. I placed my older WideClient program back, and that starts O.K.

I appreciate I can upgrade all four clients O.S., but don't want to do this unless really necessary.

Thanks, Steven

I have just tried this, and WideClient will not start. Is this because it is no longer compatible with Windows 2000? Starts O.K. on 'this' P.C. running XP 64 bit. I placed my older WideClient program back, and that starts O.K.

Sorry, but I can't really support any operating system earlier than XP. There are too many new facilities used. Even with XP some things don't work before SP1.

I appreciate I can upgrade all four clients O.S., but don't want to do this unless really necessary.

You can stick to the old version of the Client -- it will still work with the newer Servers, but it won't support any of the newer facilities or improvements, and I cannot help a lot if you get any problems.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

My Server runs Windows 7 64bit and Clients Windows 2000 pro. I was having a couple of problems, and noticed a Post in the PM forum saying to solve 'their' problem they updated their WideClient program. I have just tried this, and WideClient will not start. Is this because it is no longer compatible with Windows 2000? Starts O.K. on 'this' P.C. running XP 64 bit. I placed my older WideClient program back, and that starts O.K.

Hi Steven, just want to report, that I have the same problem as you with the new WideClient on totally eleven older laptops with win2K Pro installed supporting my main Win7 computer. The laptops have no security tools, six of them have only Win2K Pro, WideClient and vasFMC installed representing the avionics, further five laptops have Win2K Pro, WideClient, registered FSUIPC, WideView and FS9 installed for the outside view.

The task manager shows WideClient for a few micro seconds before closing it again. There is no chance to run it. The last version runs without any problems.

As I don't want to buy six, or even eleven new operating systems, I decided to reinstall the previous running WideClient again, so far. Hoping for not to be limited to much by missing the new features.

Regards Remy