The simFlight Network Forums

Profile Specific Question

I have question concerning Profile Specific. I had set up my controls etc., for the Bombardier and changed the aircraft to the Carenado. When I entered FSUIPC and clicked on Axes it asked my if I wanted to apply the General Assignments To This Aircraft. I clicked on YES. I was expecting the Bombardier settings to load so I could modify them but it reverted to a standard assignment where for instance my yoke settings were blank and had no calibrations. I must be doing something wrong so how can I start with an airplane I had already set up so I can modify it?

Thanks

Alan

I have question concerning Profile Specific. I had set up my controls etc., for the Bombardier and changed the aircraft to the Carenado. When I entered FSUIPC and clicked on Axes it asked my if I wanted to apply the General Assignments To This Aircraft. I clicked on YES. I was expecting the Bombardier settings to load so I could modify them but it reverted to a standard assignment where for instance my yoke settings were blank and had no calibrations.

The "General Assignments" are those with no specific aircraft associated with them. It sounds like your Bombardier assignments were specific to the Bombardier, and you've not actually done any default calibrations which can be applied to previously unloaded aircraft.

I must be doing something wrong so how can I start with an airplane I had already set up so I can modify it?

There's no facility in the User Interface to copy one set of aircraft settings to another. You would have to edit the FSUIPC INI file. Just make copies of the sections for the Bombardier and change the aircraft name to suit. There might be specific Keys, Axes, Buttons and JoystickCalibration sections.

You can edit the INI file whilst FS is running, and then in the various FSUIPC option tabs just tell it to "reload" so it reads your changes for that section.

BTW you entitled this thread "Profile Specific Question", but it sounds like you aren't using Profiles, but Aircraft Specific settings. If you are just starting out on this it might be better to switch to Profiles before going too far, as they are much easier to apply and manage.

Regards

Pete

The "General Assignments" are those with no specific aircraft associated with them. It sounds like your Bombardier assignments were specific to the Bombardier, and you've not actually done any default calibrations which can be applied to previously unloaded aircraft.

There's no facility in the User Interface to copy one set of aircraft settings to another. You would have to edit the FSUIPC INI file. Just make copies of the sections for the Bombardier and change the aircraft name to suit. There might be specific Keys, Axes, Buttons and JoystickCalibration sections.

You can edit the INI file whilst FS is running, and then in the various FSUIPC option tabs just tell it to "reload" so it reads your changes for that section.

BTW you entitled this thread "Profile Specific Question", but it sounds like you aren't using Profiles, but Aircraft Specific settings. If you are just starting out on this it might be better to switch to Profiles before going too far, as they are much easier to apply and manage.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Yes I am using Profiles as I converted a week ago and the check box says Profiles and not Aircraft (I need to change the titles from aircraft to types). Perhaps a future release of FSUIPC could include the ability to copy profiles. I will edit the INI file as suggested.

Thanks

Alan

Yes I am using Profiles as I converted a week ago and the check box says Profiles and not Aircraft (I need to change the titles from aircraft to types). Perhaps a future release of FSUIPC could include the ability to copy profiles.

Maybe. The current design was based on the idea that you'd do a generic assignment and calibration set to start with, and then the variations for each class of airplane forming the named Profiles afterwards, all from that common base.

However, I'll certainly think about a facility to choose another Profile to start with instead.

Regards

Pete

However, I'll certainly think about a facility to choose another Profile to start with instead.

I had a look at this and it was relatively easy to do. I've tested it briefly here, but I'm not a heavy user of Profiles as I only fly one aircraft (my cockpit is a 737NG and won't suit anything else).

If you or anyone else would like to test out the new facility, to base new Profiles on an existing one, please let me know which version you need -- FSUIPC3 or FSUIPC4 -- as the code change is similar to both but I only want to build one until I'm sure it's a good move.

Best Regards

Pete

I had a look at this and it was relatively easy to do. I've tested it briefly here, but I'm not a heavy user of Profiles as I only fly one aircraft (my cockpit is a 737NG and won't suit anything else).

If you or anyone else would like to test out the new facility, to base new Profiles on an existing one, please let me know which version you need -- FSUIPC3 or FSUIPC4 -- as the code change is similar to both but I only want to build one until I'm sure it's a good move.

Best Regards

Pete

Pete

I have FSUIPC 4

Alan

I have FSUIPC 4

Ah, good, 'cos that's the one I did first.

Try

FSUIPC 4.717

It should be intuitive to use the enhancement. As well as "New ..." you have a "New, based on ..." option. Selecting that will allow you to select the Profile the new one shjould be based on, then you get to provide the new name, as before.

The FSUIPC log will show one of the "based on" Profile aircraft being selected, then your current one. This is due to the way I've had to implement the feature -- basically it finds an aircraft using the based-on Profile so it can load its settings calling all the (unchanged) loading functions, then changes back to your aircraft and saves them. Bingo, all new sections for the new profile, ready for your changes.

Make a copy of your FSUIPC4.INI file before using this, just in case I've messed anything up!

Regards

Pete

Ah, good, 'cos that's the one I did first.

Try

FSUIPC 4.717

It should be intuitive to use the enhancement. As well as "New ..." you have a "New, based on ..." option. Selecting that will allow you to select the Profile the new one shjould be based on, then you get to provide the new name, as before.

The FSUIPC log will show one of the "based on" Profile aircraft being selected, then your current one. This is due to the way I've had to implement the feature -- basically it finds an aircraft using the based-on Profile so it can load its settings calling all the (unchanged) loading functions, then changes back to your aircraft and saves them. Bingo, all new sections for the new profile, ready for your changes.

Make a copy of your FSUIPC4.INI file before using this, just in case I've messed anything up!

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Alan

Pete

Just clicked on your link and was sent to this URL

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4717.zip

Page shows:

Not Found

The requested URL /beta/FSUIPC4717.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Alan

Edited by English Rebel

I installed the file you sent but cannot see where I can copy a Profile. I did notice that under Axes, the check box for Profile Specific is grayed out.

You've already assigned that aircraft to a Profile, then!

There's no facility to UNDO profile assignments except by editing the INI file and removing the aircraft name from it's [Profile.<profilename>] section.

Pete

You've already assigned that aircraft to a Profile, then!

There's no facility to UNDO profile assignments except by editing the INI file and removing the aircraft name from it's [Profile.<profilename>] section.

Pete

Pete

So what is new in the .DLL I downloaded? I thought you added a feature to copy a profile without editing the .INI file but I don't see it.

Thanks

Alan

So what is new in the .DLL I downloaded? I thought you added a feature to copy a profile without editing the .INI file but I don't see it.

1. You posted this exact same message twice. I deleted one of them rather than reply twice.

2. You didn't read what I told you? Look:

It is a facility to BASE A NEW profile on an EXISTING one -- to save you having to copy things in the INI file. If you aren't creating a new profile, what do you think copying an existing one can possibly do? You aren't thinking or making sense.

Pete

Mr. Dowson,

I'm sort of busting in on this thread, for which I apologize, but I also was looking for simpler means of using the profile technique to manage controls and have downloaded this particular modification. It did as advertised and I was able to succesfully modify a previously created profile ("Twin Engine Piston) to create a new one (Twin Engine Turbo Prop). I will admit I have not gotten all the ins and outs figured out regards calibrating the seperate profiles to achieve the best results (key I think for a turbo prop), but that's another discussion and I continue my research.

Thought you might be able to use the feedback. My only controller is a CH Elipse, using FSX (Acceleration) OS Win 7 (64 bit).

regards,

Chris

... I also was looking for simpler means of using the profile technique to manage controls and have downloaded this particular modification. It did as advertised and I was able to succesfully modify a previously created profile ("Twin Engine Piston) to create a new one (Twin Engine Turbo Prop).

... Thought you might be able to use the feedback.

Thank you very much. It seems the chap who originally asked for the facility has found other things to do so I never really heard back from him after his initial misunderstanding.

Regards

Pete