The simFlight Network Forums

Microsoft Flight and FSUIPC

Hi Pete:

First - many thanks from all of us for all your great work done with FS over many years.

My question is simply: do you have plans to support Microsoft Flight with a version of FSUIPC?

Or... is there not enough information from MS yet for you to make the decision, or have you had enough of all this hard work?!

Very interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks for your time.

- Skydriver

My question is simply: do you have plans to support Microsoft Flight with a version of FSUIPC?

Not if it means a re-write, like FSX did, and I suspect it would do. I really can't see them maintaining any level of compatibility after all the stick they came in for trying to do that with FSX (and failing in any case).

Or... is there not enough information from MS yet for you to make the decision, or have you had enough of all this hard work?!

It's not so much that it's hard work -- i enjoy it -- it's more that I am getting old (68 next month) and want to spend some time doing other things, like actually flying in my cockpit, finishing my model railway, and doing more travelling before I'm completely immobile!

Regards

Pete

-- it's more that I am getting old (68 next month) and want to spend some time doing other things, like actually flying in my cockpit, finishing my model railway, and doing more travelling before I'm completely immobile!

Regards

Pete

Ah, come on Pete, 68 is young. icon_biggrin.gif I'm heading for 67 in October and feel like 30 (well, in my mind anyway). icon_wink.gif

Alan

Not if it means a re-write, like FSX did, and I suspect it would do. I really can't see them maintaining any level of compatibility after all the stick they came in for trying to do that with FSX (and failing in any case).

My friends and I were wondering if MS will at least have 'Flight' able to read FSX * data * such as aircraft and airports, even if it will not provide a means for developers to write add-ons for it which actually read and write realtime data.

It's not so much that it's hard work -- i enjoy it -- it's more that I am getting old (68 next month) and want to spend some time doing other things, like actually flying in my cockpit, finishing my model railway, and doing more travelling before I'm completely immobile!

Regards

Pete

Glad you enjoy it! Didn't know you were a model railway man. Excellent! Which gauge? Digital locos? Pictures...? :)

- Skydriver

My friends and I were wondering if MS will at least have 'Flight' able to read FSX * data * such as aircraft and airports ...

Seems to me that's the least likely area for compatibility, because many graphics experts in the field seem to point to the way the data is defined as one of the main things holding FS back, and that it was nigh time for a fresh start. The BGL style definition files have been around with things gradually bolted onto them for many years, even back before Windows.

Didn't know you were a model railway man. Excellent! Which gauge? Digital locos? Pictures...? smile.gif

N-Gauge scale, mixed UK late steam era, mostly ex LMS + GWR areas.

Not digital at all -- it predates that by a long way. Started building it in 1982. Cab control with track switching. The track power is controlled by banks of relays which it turn are controlled by a computer (an Amiga at present -- till i rewrite the software for a PC). The computer can operate the braking on the trains, with up to 6 trains running. It knows where they are by infra red detectors under the track and reflective foils under the locos and rolling stock -- so it knows how long they are too and which points they've cleared. Positions are drawn on screen as are signal states. It can be all hand operated or left to the computer. There are loco sheds, goods yards, carriage sidings and turntables only manually controlled.

Can't find any pix at present. I'll take some next time I do some work on it. might be weeks, months or years, though. Flight simming's been taking priority since I failed to get a PPL due to my RP.

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...

Pete - have you had time to work on the layout? Sounds like a fascinating alternative to a 'digitally' (as in Hornby etc) controlled railway.

It wasn't an "alternative" when I started -- the digital options came along well after the main layout was finished.

And, no, no time recently.

Regards

Pete