The simFlight Network Forums

Should I Reinstall Acceleration

When I first purchased FSUIPC and installed it I ran into what I believe is the dreaded SimConnect trust problem. FSX would not load. I tried many things, but eventually I reinstalled FSX and FSUIPC. I immediately tried FSX, and praise the Lord it loaded. Now, I'm afraid to reload Acceleration. I mean, it didn't work with it, what if I load it again and FSX quits again? I don't know of anything in Acceleration I really want to use; I'm not into the extra missions or flying with others online, so do I really need Acceleration. Would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Alan

When I first purchased FSUIPC and installed it I ran into what I believe is the dreaded SimConnect trust problem. FSX would not load. I tried many things, but eventually I reinstalled FSX and FSUIPC. I immediately tried FSX, and praise the Lord it loaded.

Hmm. Sorry, don't know what the difference might be.

Now, I'm afraid to reload Acceleration. I mean, it didn't work with it, what if I load it again and FSX quits again?

Acceleration contains SP1 and SP2 versions of SimConnect. Both are actually not only faster than the original, but also more likely to avoid that Trust bug.

I don't know of anything in Acceleration I really want to use; I'm not into the extra missions or flying with others online, so do I really need Acceleration. Would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Since I've never been able to reproduce the trust bug on any of four different systems I'm not really in the best position to advise. But don't forget that the SP1 and SP2 updates to FSX are free and can be applied separately. That's another alternative route. However, all of my attempts to reproduce this elusive problem have been with the full Acceleration.

The contributions to the forum only represent a minute proportion of all FSX users, and not a very large proportion of FSUIPC users. Even allowing that there will be folks with the same problem not reporting here, it is still a very much minority problem. I know that's no comfort to those who actually get it happening, but it does explain the lack of a proper solution. Microsoft certainly knew about the problem before they ceased FSX development (and in fact before SP2 was released), but no one in the FS team could reproduce it either.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted, but I have to be honest.

Regards

Pete

Pete, thanks for the quick response. Let me ask the question a different way? Is there anything in SP1 or SP2 which is a MUST have. If not, I think I will just let well enough alone.

Most add-ons by now require at least SP1, and as Andy says, more and more SP2. And now you have FSUIPC installed and trusted the trust bug should not reoccur.

To be even surer, go to Internet Explorer. select Tools -- Internet Options -- Content -- Publishers -- Trusted Publishers, and make sure SimFlight GmbH is listed there. If not, right click on FSUIPC4.DLL, select Properties -- Digital Signature, select the certificate and click -- Details -- View -- Install Certificate. Click Next or OK all the way through. Then go back to Internet Explorer and find the Certificate in the Other Publishers list. Export it to a file, and go to the Trusted Publishers section again and import it.

Sorry that's so complicated, but that's the way MS manage certificates. Note that it might be slightly different depending on which version of IE you have installed on your PC.

I think I will add this hint to the FAQ for the trust problem.

Regards

Pete

Pete and Andy, your replies and advice are very much appreciated. I will reinstall Acceleration, hopefully tonight, after doing the certification procedure suggested by Pete. I'll be back if I have more problems, but here's hoping all goes well. Pete, is this indicative of your overall customer support? If so, you have to be one of the best, if not the best, that I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. It is very much appreciated.

Alan