The simFlight Network Forums

Idea reagarding wind options in FSUIPC

Hello Pete,

a little idea came to my mind as I was fiddling around with PMDG aircraft and the well known wind problem (which could gladly be solved by FSUIPC) using ASE.

But many other addons work flawlessly with no wind settings in FSUIPC and using Active Sky.

(This is no rant to ASE nor to PMDG!!)

Could it be possible to have the wind smoothing options tied to to a specific addon?

Like it is currently possible with buttons axes, calibration etc???

This would be a great feature if FSUIPC could set wind smooting automatically for PMDG and disable it for other addons, for example.

Is such a feature possible to implement?

Many thanks,

Günter

a little idea came to my mind as I was fiddling around with PMDG aircraft and the well known wind problem (which could gladly be solved by FSUIPC) using ASE.

What is this "well known wind problem using ASE"? Are you talking about FS9 or FSX?

As far as I'm aware there is one major wind bug in FSX (and FS9) which causes sudden 180 degree wind changes, an error in their interpolation between neighbouring stations, and which Active Sky strives to correct, not make worse!

Could it be possible to have the wind smoothing options tied to to a specific addon?

If you need them at all, why would you need to switch therm off? I use them all the time and i never use PMDG aircraft. What's the point?

Is such a feature possible to implement?

I suppose it might be possible, but it would certainly be very messy as there is no connection whatsoever between aircraft-specific and profile settings and the assorted weather facilities. And the smoothing hook into FS would still need to be in place so it means FSUIPC is still being called every time in order to deal with the winds.

I need to understand the reason for such a messy and apparently wasteful change before i even look into it.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

thanks for reply..

I talk about FSX, sorry.

PMDG Addons have the tendency with ASE to get into S-turns, wobbling etc.

There are countless threads about it and this could be prevented by enabling FSUIPCs Wind smoothing (Turbulence, gusts, variance)

Other addons do not have this behave and therefore I'd like to have this smoothing disabled to get some rough rides with ASE's wind.

Of course it is not too much work to enter FSUIPC menu enable and disable it, but I just wanted to ask...

If its a huge affort to you, then forget my question ;-)

thanks,

Günter

PMDG Addons have the tendency with ASE to get into S-turns, wobbling etc.

There are countless threads about it and this could be prevented by enabling FSUIPCs Wind smoothing (Turbulence, gusts, variance)

Other addons do not have this behave and therefore I'd like to have this smoothing disabled to get some rough rides with ASE's wind.

Hmmm. So it isn't the smoothing you are talking about, but the turbulence, gusts and variance? They are not part of smoothing -- they are separate parameters in FS's weather.

I have smoothing on all the time because it helps remove FSX's (and FS9's) terrible sudden wind shifts, which are errors not deliberate effects. I assume you do not want those re-introduced for any aircraft, whether PMDG or not?

Of course it is not too much work to enter FSUIPC menu enable and disable it, but I just wanted to ask...

Well, I can put something on my list to look at , but please clarify first: exactly what menu items ARE you disabling or enabling? I think the subject is a bit muddled here.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I was asking something about this on AVSIM but nobody had any answer... about FSUIPC.ini values...

Default FSUIPC.ini values:

TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0

TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40

What is recommended on AVSIM:

Change the following Values to the ones listed below

TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80

My question was do we get half less turbulence than with default values?

You can read about it here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/346862-my-new-weather-config-works-perfect-with-the-ngx/page__st__75

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350389-my-weather-config-for-pmdg-planes-part-ii/

Those settings are supposed to eliminate S-turns on PMDG NGX if you use ASE. While I don't like S-turn (go figure) I do like some turbulence.

• 3 months later...

Pete,

"Well, yes -- half the amplitude at half the frequency, so a quarter really"

I am lost.

I was having a major problems S-Turns and Violent turbulence with PMDG 787-800NGX , 747X.

I changed values to:

TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

No more S turns and Violent Turbulence effects. For to have RW turbulence effects, what values I should use.

Thanks

Sanal

I was having a major problems S-Turns and Violent turbulence with PMDG 787-800NGX , 747X.

I changed values to:

TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

No more S turns and Violent Turbulence effects. For to have RW turbulence effects, what values I should use.

The default values were arrived at by lots of testing and would be realistic values, but the PMDG aircraft are well known to be rather over-sensitive. You are lucky if you can leave the turbulence on at all. I think most PMDG users suppress it altogether, both in clouds and wind layers.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for quick reply. I am not much technical person. If I understood correctly.

1-I should sty with default values

TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0

2-I should Supress Wind Effects check turbulence, Gusts, Variance

3-Clouds Check mark Supress all Cloud Turbulence

Am I on right track?

Regards

Sanal

Thanks for quick reply. I am not much technical person. If I understood correctly.

1-I should sty with default values

TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0

2-I should Supress Wind Effects check turbulence, Gusts, Variance

3-Clouds Check mark Supress all Cloud Turbulence

Am I on right track?

Er, I'm now confused! I thought you said you'd adjusted the values to ones you were happy with? Why do you want to change now? I was only answering the question you asked about what RW turbulence was like.

There's no point in doing anything with the turbulence values if you are going to suppress all turbulence.

Pete

I am sorry, I did not explain my self clearly.

I was experiencing s-turns and turbulence related crashes with PMDG airplanes. I searched AVSIM and others form.

I saw a post with a solution to the problem. (http://forum.avsim.n...planes-part-ii/). I followed the post and made changes accordingly with FSUPIC (TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80), FSX.Cfg and AS2012. It was successful. S-Turns and violent turbulence effects stooped. Solution to problem was so powerful, there were no even smallest turbulence effects on airplanes.

Now, I am trying to find a solution, adding some RW Turbulence effects on PMDG planes. I was trying to get your guidance .

Thanks

Sanal

I am sorry, I did not explain my self clearly.

I was experiencing s-turns and turbulence related crashes with PMDG airplanes. I searched AVSIM and others form.

I saw a post with a solution to the problem. (http://forum.avsim.n...planes-part-ii/). I followed the post and made changes accordingly with FSUPIC (TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80), FSX.Cfg and AS2012. It was successful. S-Turns and violent turbulence effects stooped. Solution to problem was so powerful, there were no even smallest turbulence effects on airplanes.

Now, I am trying to find a solution, adding some RW Turbulence effects on PMDG planes. I was trying to get your guidance

Sorry, the only things I've ever heard are that folks don't fly PMDG with any turbulence, at least not of the type FSUIPC can simulate. You might want to try a weather program such as Active Sky, see if that gives you what you want.

Alternatively, just experiment with FSUIPC parameter values between the two you've already tried. Maybe you'll find some values which don't upset the sensitive aircraft but which give you something you think is okay.

Regards

Pete