The simFlight Network Forums

Need Your Help Please Pete?

Hi Pete

Having had a calibration problem with a Saitek yoke, I removed, then tried to reinstall FSUIPC.

Halfway through the install, it crashes with the following error message:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: Install FSUIPC4.exe

Application Version: 4.7.4.2

Application Timestamp: 4e89ae00

Fault Module Name: Install FSUIPC4.exe

Fault Module Version: 4.7.4.2

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e89ae00

Exception Offset: 0000a005

Exception Code: c0000417

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: a37b

Additional Information 2: a37b5abb08e699103a33a1321bc17f76

Additional Information 3: 1c91

Additional Information 4: 1c91218377f543d419c81301cdf60416

Tried downloading a fresh exe from your site, but still the same. Never seen this before - any ideas?

Eeeek! Now I'm stuck with no FSUIPC :unsure:

Cheers

Having had a calibration problem with a Saitek yoke, I removed, then tried to reinstall FSUIPC.

Why reinstall FSUIPC? That won't change any of your calibrations or settings -- they are all contained in your FSUIPC4.INI file, which is unaffected by installation. If you simply wanted to rever to default settings, just delete the INI file and let it build a new one.
Halfway through the install, it crashes with the following error message:

The Install log up to the time of the crash would be of more use. I'd at least know what it was trying to do at the time. The crash data you provide is rather meaningless to me. What is "BEX" for instance?

I just googled it and find it either means "Buffer Overflow Exception", or "branch extended error", depending who you read, and may or may not arise from "Data Execution Protection", which I think is either a BIOS or windows setting or maybe both.

The error code "C0000417" appears to mean "STATUS_INVALID_CRUNTIME_PARAMETER", which could imply that there's some sort of problem in the C RunTime libraries installed in your system.

The offset, 0000A005 seems to be in something called "invoke watson", which is not annything I use and I think is related to crash detection in any case. If that's the case it seems the crash detection is crashing? Which is a bit mind-boggling.

Tried downloading a fresh exe from your site, but still the same.

Which "site"? Do you mean the Schiratti page with my stuff on it? Didn't you look in the Download Links subforum here?

Never seen this before - any ideas?

No, I've never seen it before. The Installer is a fairly standard sort of Windows program. it doesn't do much that is complicated at all. I need more information, such as the log and what the last line was in the Window on screen.

Eeeek! Now I'm stuck with no FSUIPC unsure.gif

What's the problem with putting the DLL into the Modules folder? What was your previous version, and what has changed. Why exactly are you reinstalling?

BTW, I'm not sure this is the answer, but I found this when reading about "BEX":

To configure DEP settings

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  2. Click the Advanced tab. Then, under Performance, click Settings.
  3. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
  4. Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
  5. Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
  6. If you selected the OptOut policy, click Add and add the applications that you do not want to use DEP with.

Maybe it'll help?

If it is a problem in the Installer I certainly need more information to narrow it down, starting with the log and progress shown on screen. I'd then need to add more logging to narrow it right down. Problem is I'm on holiday after tomorrow till the 31st, with a brief return on the 25th and 26th.

...and come to think of it Pete, could it be connected to this: My link

Can't see how anything related to any yoke or other USB devices has anything whatsoever to do with the FSUIPC4 installer, which is only doing things like copying files. There's nothing in it accessing any such devices.

Regards

Pete

Why reinstall FSUIPC? That won't change any of your calibrations or settings -- they are all contained in your FSUIPC4.INI file, which is unaffected by installation. If you simply wanted to rever to default settings, just delete the INI file and let it build a new one.

The Install log up to the time of the crash would be of more use. I'd at least know what it was trying to do at the time. The crash data you provide is rather meaningless to me. What is "BEX" for instance?

I just googled it and find it either means "Buffer Overflow Exception", or "branch extended error", depending who you read, and may or may not arise from "Data Execution Protection", which I think is either a BIOS or windows setting or maybe both.

The error code "C0000417" appears to mean "STATUS_INVALID_CRUNTIME_PARAMETER", which could imply that there's some sort of problem in the C RunTime libraries installed in your system.

The offset, 0000A005 seems to be in something called "invoke watson", which is not annything I use and I think is related to crash detection in any case. If that's the case it seems the crash detection is crashing? Which is a bit mind-boggling.

Which "site"? Do you mean the Schiratti page with my stuff on it? Didn't you look in the Download Links subforum here?

No, I've never seen it before. The Installer is a fairly standard sort of Windows program. it doesn't do much that is complicated at all. I need more information, such as the log and what the last line was in the Window on screen.

What's the problem with putting the DLL into the Modules folder? What was your previous version, and what has changed. Why exactly are you reinstalling?

BTW, I'm not sure this is the answer, but I found this when reading about "BEX":

To configure DEP settings

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  2. Click the Advanced tab. Then, under Performance, click Settings.
  3. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
  4. Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
  5. Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
  6. If you selected the OptOut policy, click Add and add the applications that you do not want to use DEP with.

Maybe it'll help?

If it is a problem in the Installer I certainly need more information to narrow it down, starting with the log and progress shown on screen. I'd then need to add more logging to narrow it right down. Problem is I'm on holiday after tomorrow till the 31st, with a brief return on the 25th and 26th.

Can't see how anything related to any yoke or other USB devices has anything whatsoever to do with the FSUIPC4 installer, which is only doing things like copying files. There's nothing in it accessing any such devices.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete

...and thanks for such a detailed response. I now have a lot more information and items to test. It was indeed from your Schiratti page, and I think I was just clutching at straws by reinstalling.

I have since found my last FSX backup (ext HDD fallen down the back of my desk!!!) and copied over the relevant FSUIPC files.

All i've done since last using FSX is install and play two FSP games. Ahhhhh... now there's an idea. I know at least one of those insisted on reinstalling some runtime stuff.

When I try to calibrate using FSUIPC, the slightest yoke movement takes the numbers from the -16000s straight to the +16000s. And yet, when using the basic Windows calib system, all is smooth. It's REALLY bizarre.

Thanks though - I'll test tonight (too sick just now :( )

When I try to calibrate using FSUIPC, the slightest yoke movement takes the numbers from the -16000s straight to the +16000s.

Are those the IN numbers? They sound like OUT numbers, which indicates very poor calibration. If so just opress RESET, then SET again and calibrate properly.

If they are the IN numbers, which seems very unlikely, there's something wrong before it gets to FSUIPC because the IN numbers reflect what it is getting from the joystick driver (assuming you assigned in FSUIPC) or direct from FS (if you assigned in FS).

I still want to see that Install log file please -- I need to work out what input it is getting from your computer which is causing a crash.

Pete

Are those the IN numbers? They sound like OUT numbers, which indicates very poor calibration. If so just opress RESET, then SET again and calibrate properly.

If they are the IN numbers, which seems very unlikely, there's something wrong before it gets to FSUIPC because the IN numbers reflect what it is getting from the joystick driver (assuming you assigned in FSUIPC) or direct from FS (if you assigned in FS).

I still want to see that Install log file please -- I need to work out what input it is getting from your computer which is causing a crash.

Pete

Hi Pete

Will get the log for you, but first, just in case it ever comes up again, here was the fix for the Saitek yoke issue, as reported HERE

"

Hello

I have used this advice from the Saitek forum in the past when my yoke calibration was playing up.

Apparently the values written to the registry are sometimes wrong leading to the inability to calibrate the yoke correctly.

I have snipped this directly from the Saitek forum.

--------------------------------

To recalibrate, first unplug the yoke.

Go to start/run and type regedit.

The registry editor will have a list of folders on the left hand side. Go down into the following folders in order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (CURRENT_USER if on VISTA)

System

CurrentControlSet

Control

Media Properties

Private Properties

Direct Input

Inside the Direct Input folder, delete any folder that begins VID_06A3.

Once done, close the editor. Plug the yoke back in and move all the axes (including throttle) through their full range of movement 4 times.

Now go to control panel/game controllers/properties to see if everything is ok on the test screen.

If the problem persists then test the device on another PC. If the problem still occurs then it is most likely a hardware fault"

Okay, Install log:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.703

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"AppPath"

... >>> OK! FOUND FSX! <<< ...

Looking in registry for ESP install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"AppPath"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"AppPath"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="F:\FSX\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

F:\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... Version 4.703 found.

FSX Modules folder already exists.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "F:\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Users\Dougal\AppData\Roaming"

Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one

Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"

... No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Dougal\AppData\Roaming"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Dougal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... There is a SimConnect.XML, checking for "local" section.

No previous "local" entry found, so adding it now ...

... "local" section of SimConnect.XML written okay

Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"

... No FSX.CFG there

"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.

Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

FSUIPC4.DLL installed and signature checked out okay!

Deleted GlobalSign Root fix program ... no longer relevant

===========================================================

All installer tasks completed okay!

Registration check for FSUIPC4 and WideFS was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

However, they say a picture is worth a thousand(?) words.

Two things required at my end I think...

1) Uninstall Prepare3D (don't like it anyway)

2) Set some time aside to 'update myself' in the FSUIPC forum (not looked in here for ages)

post-3423-0-18861200-1318536122_thumb.jp

Okay, Install log:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.703

The current installer is for 4.742, and the one previous to that was 4.728.

AND the install finished successfully as you can see:

All installer tasks completed okay!

Registration check for FSUIPC4 and WideFS was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

However, they say a picture is worth a thousand(?) words.

That is evidently not for the same run as the file! Since the Installer replaces the Log file as soon as it is run, and builds the file as it goes, you should have at least got a partial file from the run your picture shows. It seems that you are looking in the wrong modules folder for the Log?

The picture looks like it shows the problem in the Installer section for Prepar3D, and I'm pretty sure that's fixed in the current installer, 4.742. However, if it isn't I'm afraid the main information I need from your picture is obscured -- i.e. the AppPath= line. Is the AppPath it derives correct? Please, try to move the messageBox away from the information window next time.

Two things required at my end I think...

1) Uninstall Prepare3D (don't like it anyway)

Please try the current installer BEFORE doing that, so that I can either feel happy that the bug, if there is one, is fixed, or, conversely, get the needed Log file -- or at least an un-obscured picture of one!

Unfortunately unless this is done withing the next two hours it will be too late till October 25th ...

Thanks.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately unless this is done withing the next two hours it will be too late till October 25th ...

I managed to reproduce the Installer bug by renaming the Prepar3D.exe before running the installer. It gets into a loop and eventually crashes trying to generate the prompt for you to locate the EXE for it. It is a result of trying to extend the Installer to work correctly with Prepar3D without thoroughly going through all the relevant code dealing with possible errors.

Fixed in the latest installer being uploaded today.

Regards

Pete