The simFlight Network Forums

Rudder & Diff Brakes Control Lost

Hello Pete,

I use FSUIPC4 4.703 with FSX.

After a long VFR flight in a Cessna 172 - using AP either in NAV mode, or in GPS mode with a flight plan loaded - during my approach, after deactivating AP I realize that rudder control no longer works. Once on the ground neither rudder nor differential brakes work. I opened FSUIPC and the axis assignments/calibration seemed normal (the IN and OUT box values changed as expected). When I exited FSUIPC and resumed FSX, the controls worked as they should.

I use Saitek yoke/TQ and pedal/brake units.

I can't blame FSUIPC because I also tried operating rudder and brakes using the keyboard NUM keys. That didn't work either. I can recover from this annoyance and land normally by opening FSUIPC shortly before beginning an approach but that's not really a fix. Ever heard of anything like this? Does FSUIPC log anything that might help me diagnose this bug?

MH

• 2 weeks later...

I use FSUIPC4 4.703 with FSX.

There's a much later one, 4.743, now available -- see the Download Links subforum.

After a long VFR flight in a Cessna 172 - using AP either in NAV mode, or in GPS mode with a flight plan loaded - during my approach, after deactivating AP I realize that rudder control no longer works. Once on the ground neither rudder nor differential brakes work. I opened FSUIPC and the axis assignments/calibration seemed normal (the IN and OUT box values changed as expected). When I exited FSUIPC and resumed FSX, the controls worked as they should.

The usual cause of that is the controls "going to sleep" because Windows turns the power off to save it. You need to go into the Device Manager, find all of the USB hubs listed there, right click, select properties, power management, and turn it off.

I can't blame FSUIPC because I also tried operating rudder and brakes using the keyboard NUM keys. That didn't work either. I can recover from this annoyance and land normally by opening FSUIPC shortly before beginning an approach but that's not really a fix. Ever heard of anything like this? Does FSUIPC log anything that might help me diagnose this bug?

I've never heard of a problem which stops the FS-assigned keypresses working. Are you sure they are still assigned?

Certainly you can log Events (for the key controls) and Axis events (for the joystick controls) to verify they are being sent. If they are and the aircraft still doesn't respond then there's something amiss with the aircraft code.

Regards

Pete