The simFlight Network Forums

Win 7 to xp Connection issues

Hi everyone.

My name is Branden, i am helping out a friend of mine get his flight sim 9 game running FSUIPC and widesf working on another unit.

Server: (running FS9)

Win 7 home premium 64 bit

Client: Win XP pro 32 bit

I am getting all sorts of issues just trying to get them to communicate.

Plan-g Log file:

Most common error

Error opening FSUIPC: FSUIPC.FSUIPCException: FSUIPC Error #14: FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING. FSUIPC is not running.

at FSUIPC.FSUIPCConnection.Open(FlightSim RequiredFlightSimVersion)

at FS.FSUIPC.Connect()

I can access files on the 7 machine, see the network ect..

Can also run tracerts from both units, both come out correct.

I obviously cannot run ipx protocols on the 7 machine, but widefs is supposed to run on tcp.

...........................................................................................................................................................

I'm Branden's friend. Branden is the mgr of a used computer store.

He is one of the most computer savvy people i know.

Brenden admitted that he has not done this type of cfg before.

Branden spent over 7 hours over two days no joy.

Branden built both computers

He did EVERY thing suggested on several forums.

Over the years (FS98 to present) I have never been able to use WideFS

I need conformation "Does WideFs indeed work between Win7 / XP"

yes or no

That said

FSUIPC is a great app.

Server: (running FS9)

Win 7 home premium 64 bit

Client: Win XP pro 32 bit

I am getting all sorts of issues just trying to get them to communicate.

You need a working network before you can expect WideFS to connect.

Plan-g Log file:

Sorry, a log file for another product is for the Support of that product, so you need to go there. If you want help with my products I need to see the logs from my products -- the WideServer.log from the FS PC and the WideClient.log from the Client PC. That's why such logs are produced, so you can help me help you!

I obviously cannot run ipx protocols on the 7 machine, but widefs is supposed to run on tcp.

WideFS can use TCP, UDP or IPX, or all three for different clients. IPX is not commonly used these days, but really only because it isn't installed by default on current Windows versions -- it is an optional install. But TCP or UDP are fine.

He did EVERY thing suggested on several forums.

Did he ever bother to read the WideFS documentation supplied? In particular did he look at the section early on in the User Guide about configuring the network?

Over the years (FS98 to present) I have never been able to use WideFS

I need conformation "Does WideFs indeed work between Win7 / XP"

yes or no

Yes of course. As documented it works automatically -- with no parameters needing changing -- only if all PCs are in the same Workgroup. If you want different workgroups then you must tell the client where the Server is, exactly as documented. By default Win7 and XP use different Workgroup names, It is best to make them the same. All my PCs are in a workgroup called "PETES".

Why spend 7 hours searching forums but not bother to look at supplied documentation? It makes no sense!

Pete

Well Pete. I think I'm beating a dead horse

but lets just pretend that we have done every thing that the manual says.

and i have a working network, which i do, and lets pretend I don't have bad hardware or corrupt software issues.Which I don't, Pretend that Brenden is a VERY good computer tech and a find young man to boot.

What do you think could be the problem could be?

Would the WideFs log help.

Would my Computer system specifications help. Very high end multy core Win7.

Were just trying to figure this out.

Gerry

and i have a working network, which i do, and lets pretend I don't have bad hardware or corrupt software issues.Which I don't, Pretend that Brenden is a VERY good computer tech and a find young man to boot. What do you think could be the problem could be?

I think that either you haven't done everything that the manual says, or you don't have a working network configuration for WideFS or you have a firewall blocking something.

Almost certainly.

Cheers!

Luke

Well Pete. I think I'm beating a dead horse

And have you been doing that continuously since my last answer four days ago?

and i have a working network, which i do, and lets pretend I don't have bad hardware or corrupt software issues.Which I don't, Pretend that Brenden is a VERY good computer tech and a find young man to boot.

If you can pretend all that you must also be able to pretend everything else works splendidly. So why post here for a pretend system?

Surely you shouldn't need to pretend such stuff. He or you could actually read the documentation as I suggested, rather than merely search through Forums, as you said he did.

What do you think could be the problem could be?

This shows you didn't even read my last reply, where I clearly said:

"If you want help with my products I need to see the logs from my products -- the WideServer.log from the FS PC and the WideClient.log from the Client PC. That's why such logs are produced, so you can help me help you!"

What is the point in my replying and asking for more information, if you ignore it, then come back days later talking about dead horses and pretensions?

Would my Computer system specifications help. Very high end multy core Win7.

No, all that's irrelevant. Providing you are using Windows XP or later on all systems -- I can't support Windows 2000, NT, Me, 98, 95 or earlier. Not with current versions anyway.

Were just trying to figure this out.

You aren't helping me help you though, are you? Wouldn't it be better if you got the person who you say knows what he's doing talking here, rather than relaying things so awfully slowly and with no useful information the way you are doing it at present?

Regards

Pete

• 2 years later...

Up front, I don't have much money and whenever possible, I try to make things work that are free. I recently was given an "old" computer that is a 64 bit computer. I removed Windows XP 32 bit and installed Windows XP 64 bit to take advantage of the RAM. When this happened, I lost the IPX and thus, Wideview2000 (which was free years ago). Also, I run FS9 because my older computers couldn't handle FSX coupled with all the work on gauges and aircraft through the years. Wideview2000 works for FS9 under Windows XP 32 bit! I never tried it with FSX but it might since, I believe, it accesses FSUIPC. Back to 64 bit: So I searched the Internet trying to find out about IPX and it's been removed from Windows 64 bit OS's apparently. I came across another smart individual that made a "wrapper." I don't really know what "wrapper" means but in any case, it's called "IPX wrapper." My main computer, the 64 bit is connected to a tablet that I use as my EFB, using Windows XP 32 bit. IPX wrapper has to be in the same folder as Wideview2000 and started first, then run Wideview2000. Both computers must use the IPX wrapper to work. One thing I have not been able to figure out as I did in the past is be able to run Wideview2000 on a 3rd computer. The old way, using the main computer was to have Wideveiw running as a server on ports 8000 and in a seperate folder, run on port 8001, maybe not necessary but it works. I then had the clients running on ports 8000 and 8001 respectively. And then I had my corner views as well. I have not been able to do that with the IPX wrapper - yet... Hope this helps. Days later, I did get IPX wrapper to transmit to multiple ID sockets (I previously called ports) but it's too jerky for the corner views to be enjoyable along with the EFB. Somewhere on the Internet, I stumbled across a program called FSManager 2.85 (looking for a moving map). It allows LAN and so, I use IPX wrapper to drive the corner views on one 32 bit computer and FSmanager to handle the EFB on a different 32 bit computer. Note that for some odd reason, the programmer did not want it to work past 2005. Someone else made a dll that takes care of that as well.