The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG NGX Flaps - Anyone got them working?

I know PMDG does not recommend using FSUIPC with the NGX. However, I know that many people are in fact successfully using FSUIPC with this bird. Personally I am able to use it fine for spoilers, throttles (as long as I don't calibrate throttles axes within FSUIPC), reversers, gear and a number of button pushes. I however am not getting the flaps to work well.

I have assigned an axis on one of my Saitek quadrants to the flap axis as a normal FSX axis. I've tried using detents, straight axis calibration and so forth. However, I do not get the flaps to smoothly progress. Typically, I find that the flaps don't retract fully using this axis, flaps 2 or 5, flaps 15 are skipped and I don't get all the way to flaps 40 at the end of the range.

So, has anyone gotten this working? Would using the direct axis control work (I don't truly understand the difference between direct and normal FSX axes yet)? If anyone has them working, please share how you did it. Thanks for any help.

I have assigned an axis on one of my Saitek quadrants to the flap axis as a normal FSX axis. I've tried using detents, straight axis calibration and so forth. However, I do not get the flaps to smoothly progress. Typically, I find that the flaps don't retract fully using this axis, flaps 2 or 5, flaps 15 are skipped and I don't get all the way to flaps 40 at the end of the range.

All that sounds like poor calibration, or insufficient resolution of the axis values for differences to be noticed. If you are assigning in FS make sure the null zone is minimum and the sensitivity is maximum.

Would using the direct axis control work (I don't truly understand the difference between direct and normal FSX axes yet)?

I assume you are talking about assigning in FSUIPC. FS controls assigned in FSUIPC are sent to FS and act just like controls assigned in FS itself. If you calibrate them in FSUIPC this is done by FSUIPC then intercepting them, not knowing whether they were assigned in FS or FSUIPC. Assigning "direct to FSUIPC calibration" assumes you are calibrating and by passes the bit where they are first routed through FS. In general this is more efficient and gives better results, but some add-on aircraft then don't work correctly because they like to see the controls as coming from FS.

Regards

Pete

Hello,

As you addressed your post to 'anyone' I may be able to encourage you to keep trying. I am currently building a TQ for the PMDG 737NGX . I have not got to the flaps build yet, but I can report that I have calibrated both engine throttles and synced them through FSUIPC4. To date they work just fine. I have set micro switches for thrust reversers , idle , TO/GA and AT Disconnect and all work fine to date. I really can't say I've had any issues to date using FSUIPC4 and the PMDG 737NGX.

All the best,

Ed