The simFlight Network Forums

WideCLient FS98 - Waiting for a Connection....please help!

Dear Community,

I have been trying for days on end to get WideFS to work, but I am at the end of my tether now, and I do hope you kind folk are able to help or point me in the right direction as I am rapidly loosing interest.

My apologise for my first epic sized post, but I have searched the forums first and not found what I am looking for yet. I shall be as detailed as possible because I have probably missed some minute detail or step somewhere, despite thoroughly reading the accompanying *.PDF's with WideFS and FSUIPC.

My problem: "WideClient FS98 - Waiting for a Connection" & "C:\FSXWideClient\Initial.LUA": not found"

About me: I am an I.T. Professional so I do have a fair grasp of networking and Windows (although I am no 'cody' in any way). I am a 'noob' to FSX and the online flight sim world.

My dear friend who has many years experience with FS9 has been trying to guide me through this, but is also flummoxed. (He has WideFS over his 5+ PC FS9 WinXp setup for a full size B777 mock-up and never had a problem).

Note: All software is genuine and successfully registered.

My (budget concious) setup:

FSX PC:

Brand new UK Spec HP P6-2046

Win7 Home Premium 64bit...run as Administrator with all pre-installed junk & anti-virus removed

Two loggins, one for FSX, one for daily use

No internet browsing has or will be used on it unless absolutely necessary (to help keep things clean)

AVG Free...disabled (or removed) for FSX

FSX Gold Edition with Accelerator pack installed to C:\FSX

i5-2320@3GHz, 8Gb, 1Tb, GTX550 Ti Di with NVIDIA 285.62 Drivers & Asus Smartdoctor

Tweaks:

TweakPrefetch: Prefetch-Boot only, Superfetch-Boot only

I have used this following guide to a point, I have not wanted to meddle with the CMD and Optimise Reg functions as this PC is still to be used for daily use on the second loggin i.e. Photoshop, Video editing etc. I have also decided to be very carefull with regard to disabling any Win Services. http://stevenairspac...for-fsx-fs2004/

All changes have been fully documented so that if need be, I can return to the Win7 Default Settings.

Client PC

Samsung NC110 laptop

Win7 Starter 32bit...Run as Administrator, all junk removed, lots of legit SW, well maintained.

One loggin as Administrator

AVG Free...disabled (or removed) for WideFS

WideFS7 installed to C:\FSXWideClient

Atom N550@1.5GHz, 2Gb

Tweaks:

None, simply good house keeping, upto date drivers etc

Objectives:

To run WideFS over Wi-Fi network (not recommended I know), but have tried LAN to same negative effect.

Network & Config:

ALL UAC/Firewalls/Anti-virus either turned off or removed. Everything run as Adinistrator where appropiate.

Full Public/Home file sharing access allowed...even experimented without passwords etc.

Successfully networked via Win7 managed Home or Work groups....I have also confugured via specific IP....all to same negative effect: "Waiting for a Connection"

I have confirmed full file sharing access between both computers regardless of Home, Work or Public profiles... despite on method of networking configuration/setup.

I have been firing up WideFS on the laptop, then loading FSX> in the dropdown menus>addons>FSUIPC it shows that I am registered to Wideclient and FSUIPC. Yet Wideclient is still saying "Waiting for a Connection" on the laptop and the FSX PC says "...WideServer:waiting for clients" above the FSX dropdown menus. I do not yet have any other addons installed. I intend to have Fsbuild, REX, Pegasus, Servinfo, FSINN, Activesky, Teamspeak & Navigraph to start off with, as recommended by my friend.

The following means very little to me as I am not a 'cody' but this is where I suspect you kind people will be able to diagnose my problem.

Wideclient config file on laptop says:

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=14,0,886,560

Visible=Yes

ServerName=SR71

Protocol=TCP

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

[sounds]

Path=C:\FSXWideClient\Sound\

Device1=Primary Sound Driver

Device2=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Wide client text doc gives me:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.86] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 21/01/12, Time 14:14:19.012: Client name is NOSTROMO

2777 Attempting to connect now

2840 LUA: "C:\FSXWideClient\Initial.LUA": not found

3105 Trying TCP/IP host "SR71" port 8002 ...

3105 ... Okay, IP Address = 115.xx.xx.xx

5133 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

5133 Ready to try connection again

6178 Attempting to connect now

64382 Trying TCP/IP host "SR71" port 8002 ...

64382 ... Okay, IP Address = 115.xx.xx.xx

96425 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

96425 Ready to try connection again

.....this then repeats in a seemingly continous cycle.

Note: due to my precautious nature I have not disclosed the IP address.

OK...so if anybody is able to enlighten me to what I am doing wrong, please do tell. I am feeling like an idiot as nobbody else seems to have a problem with this....and I have spent too much time trying to get something that should be straight forward to work.

...Or am I being a complete retard and need to load some addons too before Wideclient will connect?

Thank you for reading.

Please help!

Kindest regards,

Peter

My problem: "WideClient FS98 - Waiting for a Connection" & "C:\FSXWideClient\Initial.LUA": not found"

Waiting for a connection just means what it says, and not finding INITIAL.LUA is normal unless you really do have a plug-in to run as soon as WideClient is started, which is not usual.

Full Public/Home file sharing access allowed...even experimented without passwords etc.

Successfully networked via Win7 managed Home or Work groups....I have also confugured via specific IP....all to same negative effect: "Waiting for a Connection"

I have confirmed full file sharing access between both computers regardless of Home, Work or Public profiles... despite on method of networking configuration/setup.

file sharing is completely irrelevant for WideFS connections as it doesn't use any shared files, it just talks over the working LAN.

3105 Trying TCP/IP host "SR71" port 8002 ...

3105 ... Okay, IP Address = 115.xx.xx.xx

Why have you obliterated the most important part, the IP address?

Note: due to my precautious nature I have not disclosed the IP address.

But a LAN IPaddress is local to your LAN, no use to anyone else at all. And most folks have the same set in any case.

Is the obliterated address that of your Server? I don't think it is -- it is probably the address of your ISP. I could have checked it for you if you hadn't obliterated it.

Here's an extract from a document talking about LAN addresses:

These reserved IP addresses can be used, over and over again, on tens of thousands of LANs throughout the world.

to 192.168.255.255

to 172.31.255.255

to 10.255.255.255

There is another range of IP addresses that don't appear on the Internet and are reserved for private networks:-

169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255

As you see, NONE of these begin "115". I really don't think your Server has an IP address beginning 115, do you?

OK...so if anybody is able to enlighten me to what I am doing wrong, please do tell. I am feeling like an idiot as nobbody else seems to have a problem with this....and I have spent too much time trying to get something that should be straight forward to work.

The problem of routers not providing your Server address but that of your ISP has been experienced by a number of folks and is discussed in a well perused FAQ subforum thread entitled:

WideFS Server names translating into incorrect IP addresses

You could also have read the part of the WideFS user guide where it explains how to set your own IP address and protocol in the Wideclient INI file. It's in the section about configuring your network, and has a red emboldened subtitle imploring you to read it!

Regards

Pete

Dear Mr Dowson,

Thank you for your incredibly fast response.

....and warm welcome :(

I have had enough today anyway....spent 9-10 hours reading and implementing all of your PDF's to the T....and the above advice...faffed with IPs, loaded Addons and have not achieved a simple goal......started to think Windows somewhere had a glitch so format and reinstalled all with Win7 Ultimate.....to no avail...starting to think I have mispent £35 of my hard earned cash as I really can't see why it is not working...I am missing something but I do not know what. Will give it another go tomorrow before trying to withtand the urge to throw my whole computer setup out of my window and use it as a nice bonfire.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Peter Halverson

I have had enough today anyway....spent 9-10 hours reading and implementing all of your PDF's to the T....and the above advice...faffed with IPs

What was the hidden IP address? What is your Server's IP address? What did you end up putting into the WideClient.INI file as a result of all this research?

I was advising you what to do based on partial information. If, as I believe from the partial IP address you provided, your router is providing the wrong IP address, then the way around it is EITHER to recongifure the router so it works correctly OR, probably easier, just tell WideClient the server IP address and Protocol you want to use. There's only about one or two paragraphs to read for that, and i pointed you exactly to them.

Will give it another go tomorrow before trying to withtand the urge to throw my whole computer setup out of my window and use it as a nice bonfire.

Well, it's your choice, but if I were you I'd consider providing a little more information, and perhaps rather than reading upteen irrelevant things just following the advice provided?

Pete