The simFlight Network Forums

Hi everyone,

Over the pas few weeks/months, I have been building an overhead panel for my simulator. I purchased FSUIPC to help assign commands to the toggle switches I wanted to use. I thought the the mouse trapping technique would be easiest. I just have a single issue. I fly many different planes with different panels. I want to be able to be able to use my overhead in every aircraft I fly without having to create a new file or keep changing the commands every time. Is there any way that I could "save" a mouse macro file? So I could load the "level D" file and have all the switches assigned and then switch to the iFly 737 and load the iFly file and have all the switches assigned.

I know this may sound confusing. If needed, perhaps I can explain this in another way.

Thanks.

Ben

You posted your support question into the User Contributions forum, by mistake, i assume. That's for folks providing solutions not posing questions or problems. I've moved it here, to the Support Forum, for you.

I just have a single issue. I fly many different planes with different panels. I want to be able to be able to use my overhead in every aircraft I fly without having to create a new file or keep changing the commands every time. Is there any way that I could "save" a mouse macro file?

Macro files are saved, they ARE files in your FS Modules folder!

I suspect that what you really want is to have your assignments switched when you switch aircraft. That's what the original "aircraft specific" assignments and calibration facilities were for, now pretty much getting superseded by the easier-to-use Profile faciliities. All your assignments can be different for every aircraft or every class of aircraft, as you wish. This is the main reason that most folks purchase FSUIPC in the first place!

Mulltiple macro files are no problem. You create one or more for each aircraft. You can assign to any control in any one in each aircraft or profile.

Maybe you somehow missed all this in the User Guide?

Regards

Pete

Its a pleasure to talk with you, Pete. I read the section in the guide again and still don not quite understand it.

Say switch 1 is assigned to navigation lights in the 737. In the "buttons and switches" tab, I can see the switch is assigned to the Macro file I made with the 737. I want to assign that same switch to navigation lights in the 767. Right now, I would have to create a new MACRO file and assign each switch to the same function, just in a different panel. So when I want to go back to the 737, I will have to go through every switch. I would like to be able to save a folder "737" where if I load it. all my switches are assigned to their respective controls. Then, all I would have to do is load the "767" folder where all the switches are configured for a 767.

Perhaps another, potentially easier way would be if FSUIPC was able to detect the panel and link which MACRO file uses that panel.

I apologize if this is explained in the Users Manual. I don't completely understand it.

Thank you very much

Ben

You have to make the macros yourself and assign them individually for every aircraft you own (not all aircraft support macros anyway), FSUIPC cannot do it for you automatically, it has no clue what functions exist in your addon aircraft and it has no clue what switch or button you want to assign said function too.

You only have to do these assignments once per aircraft type/developer etc, FSUIPC will automatically use those assignments again next time you use said aircraft, as long as you have set them up previously of course. Have a look in the manuals at the sections explaining PROFILES and how you assign them to the aircraft you own.

Say switch 1 is assigned to navigation lights in the 737. In the "buttons and switches" tab, I can see the switch is assigned to the Macro file I made with the 737. I want to assign that same switch to navigation lights in the 767. Right now, I would have to create a new MACRO file and assign each switch to the same function, just in a different panel. So when I want to go back to the 737, I will have to go through every switch. I would like to be able to save a folder "737" where if I load it. all my switches are assigned to their respective controls. Then, all I would have to do is load the "767" folder where all the switches are configured for a 767.

It isn't done by folders. Why make it so complicated? In the assignments Tab in FSUIPC, look near centre top. There's a checkbox labelled either "Aircraft specific" or "Profile Specific". When you check that then EVERY assignment made in that Tab is specific to that Aircraft or that Profile. Every specific assignment is set for you automsatically when that aircraft is loaded.

I'd recomment using Profiles, so if it doesn't already say "Profile specific" (which has been defaulted in recent releases only) you'd need to change the "UseProfiles" line in the INI file to say "Yes" before loading FS.

Perhaps another, potentially easier way would be if FSUIPC was able to detect the panel and link which MACRO file uses that panel.

FSUIPC has always detected the aircraft loaded (NOT the panel, the Aircraft), and it has always consequently loaded specific keyboard, button, axis and calibration data to suit that aircraft. You simply have to tell FSUIPC that the assignments are specific before you make them! It is easy -- it is the most used facility in FSUIPC, and the reason most folks purchase it. Please please please read a little more carefully. There's a whole Chapter on Profiles, and it is listed in the Contents! I cannot understand how you could possibly miss these important facilities! :sad:

Pete