The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS for a beginner in networking

Pete,

After reading WideFS User's Guide for 5 times I just came to sad conclusion that I didn't fully understand it.

I am not experienced in networking. And I believe I lack some basic understanding of how it all is going to work.

Please find time to guide me.

Purpose: to make FS Commander installed on Toshiba laptop working with FSX on HP desktop. Both on Win 7.

What I did:

- bought respective FSUIPC and WideFS;

- installed WideFS on desktop; installed FSC as suggested: C/WideFS and C/FSC;

- placed .dll to modules' folder in FSX;

- with kind assistance of guys from Microsoft Russia I fixed issues with establishing workgroups and network. Now laptop's workgroup sees FSX (though it is llibrary FSX). Desktop's workgroup also "sees" folder on laptop.

And here I got stuck. What is going to happen next?

In FSX I see flashing "WideFS is waiting for client".

Where should I start to make it work?

I would be grateful for your word.

Regards,

Nicholai Ivanitsky

Moscow

Russia

After reading WideFS User's Guide for 5 times I just came to sad conclusion that I didn't fully understand it.

Why do you need to read it all and understand it all. There is only really a couple of pages you need to read. But 99% of users simply install it, register it, enable it, and use it. It is almost entirely self-configuring, especially if you use the same version of Windows on each PC.

I am not experienced in networking.

I'm afraid there is really nothing in any WideFS document to help you get a Network working. That's a pre-requisite. And I do not know enough to help with Network problems. You need to get your Network working beforehand.

- with kind assistance of guys from Microsoft Russia I fixed issues with establishing workgroups and network. Now laptop's workgroup sees FSX (though it is llibrary FSX). Desktop's workgroup also "sees" folder on laptop.

What I did:

- bought respective FSUIPC and WideFS;

- installed WideFS on desktop; installed FSC as suggested: C/WideFS and C/FSC;

- placed .dll to modules' folder in FSX

Er. WHAT "dll" exactly did you place into the FSX modules folder? The only one of mine you need should already be there -- FSUIPC4.DLL. That's installed there by the Installer. There's no other you need.

Have you put Wideclient.exe onto your client and run it? Without a client to talk to, how do you think the server, in FSUIPC4, can talk to it?

Pete

Pete, thanks for your answer.

Apparently the system does work as primary computer (in FSX) says "1 client connected".

So I believe Wideclient.exe is onto my client and run.

I will read the manual again.

As to FS Commander. When I open data base program in FSC it suggests to give path to FSX.

And all options are inside non-FSX computer.

Apparently the system does work as primary computer (in FSX) says "1 client connected".

So I believe Wideclient.exe is onto my client and run.

Okay, that's good. You must have actually run wideclient.exe then - it doesn't run itself (unless you put it into Windows' "start up" folder! ;-)

I will read the manual again.

No need. If it connects it is working.

As to FS Commander. When I open data base program in FSC it suggests to give path to FSX.

And all options are inside non-FSX computer.

That part is nothing to do with WideFS. The program is asking for the path to your FS installation so that it can read files. You need to meet those sorts of requirements by sharing folders and giving the correct network paths to the program. I can't help with that, it is an FS Commander problem. I'm pretty certainly it must be covered in the FSC manual, but if not you need to go to FSC support. Sorry, but I don't know the program.

Regards

Pete