The simFlight Network Forums

Rudders Setup

Hi Pete,

I have a pedal that has two separate pots for each of pedal.

How can I set the best feature "rudders"?

I tried to assign on the section Joystick Assignment for each potentiometer function Left and Right Rudder from -16,383 to 10,000 and then Left and Right Brakes from 10,000 to 16383 for each of the two potentiometers ... but they only operate the brakes ...

Can you explain how to set the best?

Simone

I have a pedal that has two separate pots for each of pedal.

Have you tried setting them to be one axis. Most such pedals have either a physical switch to change from twin controls (for car driving games) to a proper continuous axis (for rudder), or an option appearing in the Windows game controllers applet.

If neither applies it might get a bit complicated, but it can be done.

I tried to assign on the section Joystick Assignment for each potentiometer function Left and Right Rudder from -16,383 to 10,000 and then Left and Right Brakes from 10,000 to 16383 for each of the two potentiometers ... but they only operate the brakes ...

I don't really understand what you mean there. Show me the Axis assignments entries from the INI file. I would think that the two inputs to the rudder axis will conflict in any case, and they'd need to operate in different directions.

Regards

Pete

If neither applies it might get a bit complicated, but it can be done.

Here's how to do it (without the brakes as well -- not sure how you can use them for both, or at least not without writing a Lua plug-in to work it out).

Assign both pedals to the rudder. Then edit the INI file. You can do this without closing FS. Find the [Axes] section and the two lines which relate to the rudder axes just assigned.

Add this to the end of one of them:

,*0.5,+8192

and this to the other:

,*-0.5,-8192

It doesn't matter which way around at present. You'd need to check after ...

Go back to FS, go to the axes assignments tab and press the Reload button, then go to the Joystick calibrations and calibrate. One pedal should now operate 0 to +16383, or thereabouts, the other from 0 to -16383 or so. if they move the rudder the wrong way, re-edit the INI, reversing the two additions.

Calibrate with a reasonable dead zone with feet off or pressing slightly. When operating the rudder you'll only be pressing one of them at at time -- if you press both they'll conflict and the resulting rudder deflection will not be predictable. If you assign both via the "Direct to FS Calibration" method then FSUIPC will give precedence to the one with the largest divergence from 0.

Regards

Pete

thanks Pete,

in the rudder calibraation i have

Left: max value IN -16318 OUT -16383

min values IN -6784 OUt 0

Right: max value IN 66 OUT 0

min values IN 9856 OUt 16384

the INI:

[Axes]

0=2X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=2Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=2Z,256,D,36,0,0,0

3=2R,256,D,9,0,0,0

4=2U,256,D,23,0,0,0

5=2V,256,D,22,0,0,0

6=2S,256,D,10,0,0,0

7=3X,256,D,3,0,0,0,*0.5,-8192

8=3Y,256,D,3,0,0,0,*0.5,+8192

in the rudder calibraation i have

Left: max value IN -16318 OUT -16383

min values IN -6784 OUt 0

Right: max value IN 66 OUT 0

min values IN 9856 OUt 16384

Looks good.

how to assign dead zone?

Oh, you've not looked at the calibration instructions in the User Guide? There are numbered steps to good calibration. You just need to set the minimum position on each axis away from its real minimum, i.e. pressed a little. Same with maximum, release a bit.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

PEte,

now the rudders hsd the same values:

-16253 in max value and 3072 in min value.

What happen?

in the ini values are:

[Axes]

0=2X,256,D,1,0,0,0

1=2Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

2=2Z,256,D,36,0,0,0

3=2R,256,D,9,0,0,0

4=2U,256,D,23,0,0,0

5=2V,256,D,22,0,0,0

6=2S,256,D,10,0,0,0

7=3X,256,D,3,0,0,0,*-0.5,-8192

8=3Y,256,D,3,0,0,0,*0.5,+8192

Sikone

now the rudders hsd the same values:

-16253 in max value and 3072 in min value.

What happen?

You cannot have a minimum value higher than a maximum value!

Maybe it's a language problem? "Minimum" means "smallest" or "lowest". "Maximum" is the opposite -- highest.

Also, with numbers, NEGATIVE numbers are LOWER than positive numbers (because 1 - (-1) is +2, for example, showing +1 is higher than -1).

You can only calibrate with correct order, low to high, left to right in the display.

in the ini values are:

Why post your axis assignments? That's nothing to do with calibrations!

Pete

• 2 months later...

Pete,

my rudders have only 2 pots. 3X is for the left and 3Y is for the right.

So i try to set in this mode:

AXIS ASSIGNEMENT:

set for first LEFT RUDDERS 3X

1 _ choose rudders as normal axis:

2 _ in the right window i choose [1] from 16383 to 10000 LEFT RUDDER

3 _ [2] i choose LEFT BRAKES from 6000 to 3000 (leave on dead zone)

For the right rudder and brake same thing.

The problem is the brakes left and right work correctly

the right rudder ok but when i press left rudder work like the right.

Simone

my rudders have only 2 pots. 3X is for the left and 3Y is for the right.

"Only"? Proper aircraft rudders are normally a single pot, as it controls only one surface.

Do you mean the left and right work independently, like car driving pedals -- left brake, right accelerator (gas)?

set for first LEFT RUDDERS 3X

1 _ choose rudders as normal axis:

2 _ in the right window i choose [1] from 16383 to 10000 LEFT RUDDER

3 _ [2] i choose LEFT BRAKES from 6000 to 3000 (leave on dead zone)

Er. Hang on: you are trying to use one pedal for both rudder control and brake? Phew!

The problem is the brakes left and right work correctly

the right rudder ok but when i press left rudder work like the right.

Well obviously it must, if it is sending the same range of values. You need it to operate -16384 to 0 in the opposite direction. You can use the multipler on the axis assignment line in FSUIPC's INI file for this -- see the Advanced User's manual. Just add ,*-1

Pete

Now i need only to set the end of potentiometers the function: brakes left and right. HOW?

I thought you'd worked out a way to do that? I've never heard of using one axis for two such diverse functions, and I don't see how you can make it work properly. In order to press the brakes the rudder would have to first be fully deflected. If you wanted to press both brakes (which would be the normal case) you'd have to tell FS first to move the rudder both full right and full left. They'll be in conflict and the rudder will probably swing wildly until one of them won the battle.

I thnk you'd be far better off assigning buttons for brakes. But if you want to try axis assignment you must surely have noticed that you can make up to 4 axis assignments to each axis?

Pete

my intention was to assign for each pot a range for rudder a dead zone and when press full pedal a brake.

Probably is to use the right window of Axis assignement:

set rudder send to FS control: in 1 find a range where rudder work, in 2 assign a brake when pot are in max value.

Simone

my intention was to assign for each pot a range for rudder a dead zone and when press full pedal a brake.

Yes, I understood this. But how will you get the axis to the brake part without passing through the rudder operation? This is what I pointed out.

Pete