The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG NGX SDK variables as FSUIPC4 offsets

Hi Pete,

I have started to modify an IOCP Client C++ module I got from lekseecon.com in order to connect my OpenCockpits modules to the NGX plane.

After some time struggling with this approach, I now see this will a huge development task and at the same time I'm more and more believing that a solution based on FSUIPC4 offsets and LUA scripting will be much

easer to implement, but then I need the NGX SDK variables to be connected to FSUIPC4 offsets.

In order to decide which way to go I wonder if you now have heard from PMDG regarding the EULA concern you had and if you still are planning to make the NGX variables available as FSUIPC4

offsets.

rgs,

Roar

In order to decide which way to go I wonder if you now have heard from PMDG regarding the EULA concern you had and if you still are planning to make the NGX variables available as FSUIPC4 offsets.

I've already implemented it and tested it here, and it works fine -- quite efficient in fact. But I cannot release it until I have the legal part sorted. According to Ryan at PMDG it's gone up to big boss Robert Randazzo for his decision, but I think he must have referred it to his lawyers. Maybe they will allow, maybe not. I don't understand why there should be a problem, but I can't take the risk I'm afraid. I can't afford legal actions against these folks and extradition from the UK to the USA to sit in a prison for two years awaiting trial, as happened recently to another poor old man like me, just isn't something I would look forward to!

Regards

Pete

I can't afford legal actions against these folks and extradition from the UK to the USA to sit in a prison for two years awaiting trial, as happened recently to another poor old man like me

Dont worry Pete

They say it is not so bad to be prisoned these days. Many people are even allowed to bring their computers when they are in the "slot".

Most important is that you release software before you go to prison...

Just kidding.

been watching for a while, and really hope this works out well. Following this with great interest .

Ivar H.

extradition from the UK to the USA to sit in a prison for two years awaiting trial, as happened recently to another poor old man like me, just isn't something I would look forward to!

You are right Pete. I've seen that poor man on television, arriving at Heathrow airport, leaving his wife behind...

I hope these lawyers understand what FSUIPC is all about, it's rather technical stuff ... ;-)

at the same time I'm more and more believing that a solution based on FSUIPC4 offsets and LUA scripting will be much

easer to implement, but then I need the NGX SDK variables to be connected to FSUIPC4 offsets.

I don't think so Roar. The best way forward for SIOC users would be a lekseecon like solution, meaning a direct connection between the SIOC Server and the SDK. No involvement of FSUIPC. With the lekseecon solution the user only has to deal with SIOC variables, not with FSUIPC offsets and not with lua scripts.

• 4 months later...

'I've already implemented it and tested it here, and it works fine -- quite efficient in fact. But I cannot release it until I have the legal part sorted. According to Ryan at PMDG it's gone up to big boss Robert Randazzo for his decision, but I think he must have referred it to his lawyers.'

Hi Pete

Has there been any more news on the above?

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for this. I confess I don't often update, I'm using 4.8

But when you are hoping or expecting a new facility, or think you've found a new bug, isn't the best thing to do first to check for updates? ;-)

Do I use the full installer from schiratti.com/dowson?

There or the one here in the Download Links subforum. They both point to the same thing in any case.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

hi Peter,

I use the USB_Servos board from OPENCOCKPITS with any functions. All that works fine with a standard aircraft; but, when i use a PMDG model, some functions will not work. I know it is a OFFSET problem.

now ... i need to know the new OFFSET for the FLAPS control lever (PMDG737 model)

In your List "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX from Peter L. Dowson, April 2012, by permission of PMDG, Revised 7th April 2012"

i cannot find that.

Can You tell me what i have to use ?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks and greetings Juergen

Edited by DL3FY_Juergen

now ... i need to know the new OFFSET for the FLAPS control lever (PMDG737 model)

In your List "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX from Peter L. Dowson, April 2012, by permission of PMDG, Revised 7th April 2012"

i cannot find that.

PMDG only provide information read-outs in their data, not controls. he flaps control is a control sent to FS, assigned to your flaps lever.

Can You tell me what i have to use ?

Use the FS flaps controls, as usual. What do you use for other aircraft? Where do "servos" come in when operating flaps?

Regards

Pete

hi Pete,

thanks for prompted answer. Hope your holliday whas nice.

I think i have not good enought explayned what the situation here is. I will given now more informations ... that whe can clearified the

situation.

No.1: the Servo-stearing for FLAPS-indication.

This is now working also correct for a normal aircraft AND for a PMDG-model. The OFFSET is the same for both: but ... there was a

significant difference. I have solved this differences by compled new values for the PMDG-model.

No.2: stearing from external the control lever for the FLAPS. This is my problem

I use one of the 4 INPUTS of the USB_Servo board for external stearing the FLAPS control lever. The values goes then over this SIOC line to the Fsx

Var 0100, name fflaps, Link FSUIPC_INOUT, Offset $0BDC, Length 4 // Valor de Flaps

So, the FSX with a standard model (B737 or others) works fine with this ... and the FLAP lever in the cockpit following the inputs

from the potentiometer.

Now: When i use then a PMDG model, the lever in the cockpit is dead ... no function ... and shows no effects from the potentiometer anymore !-

I think ... it is a OFFSET problem ... like decribted in No.3.

No.3: SPEED-switch-off function ( MCP from OPENCOCKPITS ).

For a AUTOTHROTTLE-function (build with a SERVO as a actuator coupled to a potentiometer)... I using for a normal aircraft the OFFSET with this SIOC-line

Var 0030, name switch_Servo, Link FSUIPC_IN, Offset $07DC, Length 4 // Autopilot airSPEED hold

... but, with a PMDG model selected, the function does not work ...

NOW: I have found in a another SIOC routine this OFFSET =>>$66F2 ...and i use it now for the PMDG model ( this OFFSET is not shown in Your "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX" ).

Var 0030, name switch_Servo, Link FSUIPC_IN, Offset $66F2, Length 1 // PMDG-SPEED

... and, it works fine !

It whas a OFFSET problem. That's the reason that i think No. 2 is based on the same thing

I hope that I could properly express my problem in the English language and hope for understanding.

greatings Juergen

No.1: the Servo-stearing for FLAPS-indication.

This is now working also correct for a normal aircraft AND for a PMDG-model. The OFFSET is the same for both: but ... there was a

significant difference. I have solved this differences by compled new values for the PMDG-model.

I think the only difference is in where in the 0-16k range the changeover occurs from one position to another. There are positions which work for both -- I had to work them out in order to provided the flap detents calibration facilities in FSUIPC.

I don't understand your terminology though. What do you mean by "servo-stearing" (do you mean "steering"). Why would servos come into flaps setting?

NOW: I have found in a another SIOC routine this OFFSET =>>$66F2 ...and i use it now for the PMDG model ( this OFFSET is not shown in Your "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX" ).

It is nothing to do with FSUIPC. The offsets read from the PMDG NGX for READING of values finish at 661F. You have something else running which is setting or reading 66F2. All the range 66C0-66FF is available for general use by other programs, none of those are set or read by FSUIPC.

And I say again, because you did not understand nme before it seems, the offsets listed in "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX" are for reading, not writing. They are read-outs, not controls. The controls are by numbers, as listed in the PMDG NGX SDK header file.

It whas a OFFSET problem.

You misunderstand still. If 66F2 works for you to set the airspeed then it can only be because some other program or plug-in you are also running is reading that and sending it on to the PMDG aircraft using the correct control. There is no other way I know.

That's the reason that i think No. 2 is based on the same thing

I hope that I could properly express my problem in the English language and hope for understanding.

Apart from your use of "servos" for flaps, which i don't understand (servos are little motors used under digital or sometimes analogue control to move things like levers, wheels or pointers)., I did understand your question, and I still do. i think that you need to use the controls to control the PMDG 737NGX. You can of course use offsets to send controls -- 3110 is used to send any control, by number, with a parameter in 3114.

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...

Dear Juergen,

I see that you suceeded to get the flaps indicator working (Opencockpits), could you share your ssi file or txt for Sioc. I am trying with no success under the PMDG 737NGX.
Thank you in advance.

Dear Pete, what he describes is using variables output for the position of the flaps from 737NGX to feed them to a servo controller card that will move the needle of the flap indicator which is driven by a mini servo. It is a pre made panel from Opencockpits that you control via a servo i/o card also from them. I am having same problems, it works with standards planes but no with pmdg 737ngx. I tried the following offsets: $0BE0, $0BRC, and from offset mapping:

6568    8          FLT32 x 2        MAIN_TEFlapsNeedle[2]

Any ideas?

Thank you, Luis

Dear Pete, what he describes is using variables output for the position of the flaps from 737NGX to feed them to a servo controller card that will move the needle of the flap indicator which is driven by a mini servo. It is a pre made panel from Opencockpits that you control via a servo i/o card also from them. I am having same problems, it works with standards planes but no with pmdg 737ngx. I tried the following offsets: $0BE0, $0BRC, and from offset mapping:

6568    8          FLT32 x 2        MAIN_TEFlapsNeedle[2]

Sorry, none, except that you'd probably need to calibrate the needle position to suit the numbers you get.

Regards

Pete