The simFlight Network Forums

Now here's a weird problem

I am currently experiencing a problem with my mother board in that it occasionaly loses a USB connection (frustrating I know and am awaiting a replacement from the supplier). It is apparently a known problem with the asus p8z68-v pro gen3 motherboard :???:

I use FSUIPC as sole means of axis assignment and calibration (FSX enable controllers is set to off).

The weird part is that the USB port will re-connect to my yoke and throttle (immediately) but the only way I can make them active again in FSX is to open FSUIPC and then close it again - thats all that is required to 're-connect' the yoke and throttle to the sim

Is there a setting/switch/auto-connect functionality I can implement/program to stop me having to 'reload' FSUIPC to enable the controllers? As an interim measure - things happen s..l..o..w..l..y around my part of the world :mrgreen:

Many thanks

The weird part is that the USB port will re-connect to my yoke and throttle (immediately) but the only way I can make them active again in FSX is to open FSUIPC and then close it again - thats all that is required to 're-connect' the yoke and throttle to the sim

FSUIPC re-initialises and re-scans all joystick devices on first loading and each time you visit the Options -- though there is an option in the INI file to stop the latter occurring, in which case it only occurs when you press one of the reload buttons (in Buttons or Axes. options).

Is there a setting/switch/auto-connect functionality I can implement/program to stop me having to 'reload' FSUIPC to enable the controllers?

No. Really it can't be done. Certainly not automatically, because FSUIPC has no way of knowing that your USB device is failing to send changes.. And any user-selectable option would effectively be the same as going in to the Options and out, as it has to clear down all the assignments, re-scan all of the devices, and reload the assignments from the INI file. The assorted activities using the buttons and axes would have to be suspended, somehow, whilst this was happening, so it would still need to come up with a modal message box or something whilst it was doing this.

I assume you've already turned off Windows power management on al the USB hubs etc listed in its Device Manager? Having that enabled is the usual cause of your problem. I've never heard of a built-in fault like that on a motherboard.

Regards

Pete

I assume you've already turned off Windows power management on al the USB hubs etc listed in its Device Manager? Having that enabled is the usual cause of your problem. I've never heard of a built-in fault like that on a motherboard.

You know what Assumptions are Pete :mrgreen:

But that being said - in this case the assumption was 90% correct.

You can disable power management via the Device Manager in Windows - but it resets itself once you boot since Win7 follows the Power settings and re-enabled mine. Changing the Advanced Options in the Power Management solved the problem

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Pete - I don't know what the flightsim world will do without Pete Dowson!!!!!!!