The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.80 for FSX

I'm working from memory here because I'm on my notebook, but I think that is correct for an unlicensed copy of FSUIPC. The other tabs - and hence their functionality - do not become available until the module is licensed.

Ian P.

I have a registered copy of FSUIPC 4.80. In trying to program individual buttons on my Saitek pro flight yoke the following occurs. When pressing buttons on the attached throttle quadrent, only 14,15,16,17 get sent to fsuips (verified with the logging function) buttons 18 and 19 plus all the buttons on the yoke do not register at all. The axis all register properly. If I use the Saitek software to test, all the buttons tick when selected. Please help!

I have a registered copy of FSUIPC 4.80. In trying to program individual buttons on my Saitek pro flight yoke the following occurs. When pressing buttons on the attached throttle quadrent, only 14,15,16,17 get sent to fsuips (verified with the logging function) buttons 18 and 19 plus all the buttons on the yoke do not register at all. The axis all register properly. If I use the Saitek software to test, all the buttons tick when selected.

FSUIPC can only see the same buttons as FS. So, does FS see the other buttons?

It sounds like you have some other software which is handling those buttons and preventing them coming through as normal Jpoystick buttons. The Direct Input interface in Windows used by both FSUIPC4 and FSX actually gets all 32 possible button indications in one 32-bit word, so it is not possible for it to only get a subset if the device and its driver are allowing them through.

BTW the current version of FSUIPC4 is 4.823.

Regards

Pete

FSUIPC can only see the same buttons as FS. So, does FS see the other buttons?

It sounds like you have some other software which is handling those buttons and preventing them coming through as normal Jpoystick buttons. The Direct Input interface in Windows used by both FSUIPC4 and FSX actually gets all 32 possible button indications in one 32-bit word, so it is not possible for it to only get a subset if the device and its driver are allowing them through.

BTW the current version of FSUIPC4 is 4.823.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete. Thanks for the quick response!

The last software I installed was FSinn and FS co-pilot. I did notice that part of he install included a copy of FSUIPC, which showed as later version installed. Do you think it's possible something got messed up here? I have tried removing and re-installing FSinn.

I'm going to upgrade to 4.823.

I did try running FSX on an older install, different drive, same hardware and 4.80 and it works properly, although looking at the with the logging function active, the same key presses yield the same results! That is only some of the keys show up on logging but the function is correct.

I never thought this would get so confusing...

The last software I installed was FSinn and FS co-pilot. I did notice that part of he install included a copy of FSUIPC

Really? I didn't think those programs used FSUIPC at all?

Do you think it's possible something got messed up here?

No. I don't see how anything can prevent buttons coming through the Direct Input interface except from some driver or other. Are you sure you have no Saitek software running?

I did try running FSX on an older install, different drive, same hardware and 4.80 and it works properly, although looking at the with the logging function active, the same key presses yield the same results! That is only some of the keys show up on logging but the function is correct.

In that case it is most certainly a driver for your hardware which is intercepting and interpreting the buttons itself, and only leaving a small set for user programming.

Regards

Pete

UPDATE: looks like some of my problem is due to running the Saitek profile software! I tried not enabling it and now all the yoke buttons are recognized by FSUIPC. The only problem I have left it seems is the ability to use the mode switch on the yoke. I found somewhere an insruction indicating a file in \windows\system32 (SaiD**.pro) needs to be removed. I did that but still don't see how to activate the mode switching. While logging button presses I see activating the mode switch yields different values with each mode change (8,9,10) but I'm unclear of how to use this to give me different key sequences by mode. Any suggestions??

I see activating the mode switch yields different values with each mode change (8,9,10) but I'm unclear of how to use this to give me different key sequences by mode.

The mode switch is simply a multi-position switch which is sending button numbers 8, 9 and 10 to indicate the different positions. You can either assign those button numbers as usual, or use conditional programming to make them select other functions on the other buttons. Conditional programming is covered in the Advance User's manual for FSUIPC.

There might be some examples already available from other users. Everyone does their own thing, though, so you may or may not find something that suits you. But do a search, and do check the User Contributions subforum. Also there's a program called LINDA which might help -- see the pinned thread at the top of this Forum.

Regards

Pete