The simFlight Network Forums

Need an example please

Hello, could you please give a short example of how to make a dx button press in FSUIPC's UI send a virtual key (say, F15) to FSX? Of course, I have no problem with FSUIPC sending real keyboard keys and I know where the virtual key code list is in the manual (FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf page 17-18).

Many thanks,

Dirk.

Hello, could you please give a short example of how to make a dx button press in FSUIPC's UI send a virtual key (say, F15) to FSX? Of course, I have no problem with FSUIPC sending real keyboard keys and I know where the virtual key code list is in the manual (FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf page 17-18).

Sorry, what do you think the difference is between a "virtual key" and a "real key"? FSUIPC only knows how to send keycodes. "Real keys" can only be sent by real keyboards, keyboard emulators, or low level driver-like monitors which hook into the keybaord system low down enough to fool Windows.

What's a "dx button" BTW. Do you mean a "joystick button", i.e. one recognised by FSUIPC's button assignments tab?

Regards

Pete

Yes, Pete I meant to program a press on a joystick button that would send F15 key to FSX in FSUIPC interface. If I were to send any key F1-F12 to FSX that would be easy as I would just press a corresponding key on the keyboard in the corresponding FSUIPC's window in the GUI. But I'd like to send a virtual keystroke not existing on the keyboard (from F13 to F24).

Thanks,

Dirk.

Yes, Pete I meant to program a press on a joystick button that would send F15 key to FSX in FSUIPC interface. If I were to send any key F1-F12 to FSX that would be easy as I would just press a corresponding key on the keyboard in the corresponding FSUIPC's window in the GUI. But I'd like to send a virtual keystroke not existing on the keyboard (from F13 to F24).

Just assign the button to an existing key using the GUI, then change the keycode in the INI file line to the keycode for the key you don't have. You can do this without closing down FS. In the buttons tab just press the reload button to get the change loaded.

That's probably the easiest way. An alternative is to assign the button on the FS control side of the assignments tab, using the "Key press & release", "Key press/hold", and/or "Key release", as you wish. You use the keycode with shifts encoded in the parameter.

Regards

Pete

Just assign the button to an existing key using the GUI, then change the keycode in the INI file line to the keycode for the key you don't have. You can do this without closing down FS. In the buttons tab just press the reload button to get the change loaded.

This is a very elegant way. I should have guessed it myself. :)

Thanks!

Dirk.