The simFlight Network Forums

Loading Config Files via FSUIPC

Dear Pete,

I use registered FSUIPC 4.837 with WideFS 6.972 on a network of 7 computers:

(1) ONE Server PC (Win7-64): FSX SP2, FSUIPC4, WidevieW Server, WideFS Server: 4 touchscreen monitors: used for Instrument panels exclusively

(2) FIVE Client notebook PC's (Win7-64): FSX SP2, FSUIPC4, WidevieW Client: used for Outside Scenery views exclusively: driving 5 widescreen monitors across 180 degrees fov.

(3) ONE Client PC (Win Vista-32): WideClient, Jeppesen Navigation Suite, Instructor Station: 2 touchscreen monitors: used for Jeppesen Nav Tracking and wx injection.

While flying from one scenery area to another, I often have the need to load/reload specific FSX configuration files (containing custom display settings) via the FSX Options/Settings/Load menu. I need to do this on each of the 5 Client computers in my setup which display the outside scenery views. I am wondering if there is any way to automate this task via an FSUIPC control, which could be activated on the Clients from the Server via transmission of a key command (using the program Input Director). Or at least a way of opening the FSX Options/Settings/Load menu on each of the Client computers via an FSUIPC control.

Thank you, as always, for your superlative program and ongoing support.

Warm Regards,

Chakko.

While flying from one scenery area to another, I often have the need to load/reload specific FSX configuration files (containing custom display settings) via the FSX Options/Settings/Load menu. I need to do this on each of the 5 Client computers in my setup which display the outside scenery views.

Ugh! Doesn't this destroy any sense of realism?

>> I am wondering if there is any way to automate this task via an FSUIPC control, which could be activated on the Clients from the Server via transmission of a key command (using the program Input Director). Or at least a way of opening the FSX Options/Settings/Load menu on each of the Client computers via an FSUIPC control. <<

I don't know of any way of loading that stuff except via the Menus. You can manipulate menus using Lua plug-ins, and you can trigger a Lua plug-in to do things by any number of ways. See the Lua plug-ins examples provided (in your FSUIPC documents folder) -- the Fuel737 and Payload737 examples manipulate the fuel and payload menu dialogues respectively, so should be a good start.

The main problem, if you want it to happen automatically on 5 separate FS PCs all together is how each determines now is the time to do a change to xxx. Obviously the FSUIPC's in each are not linked at all. Can WidevieW signal anything? Othwerwise I can only think that you trigger on something happening in the aircraft or the scenery -- Latitude/longitude? Or do you have any buttons connewcted to al 5 which can be used?

Regards

Pete

Ugh! Doesn't this destroy any sense of realism?

Yes, unfortunately it does, but my actions are driven by necessity. Even with the (Wideview-controlled) Clients dedicated to scenery and weather, without complex add-on aircraft or panels, the load in certain scenery areas is so heavy that I need to 'move the display sliders to the left' in order to avoid scenery freezes and stutters. Also, many scenery designers specify custom mesh and texture resolution settings for specific sceneries, for them to display correctly. Very often the departure, enroute, and destination scenery areas have different requirements.

>> I am wondering if there is any way to automate this task via an FSUIPC control, which could be activated on the Clients from the Server via transmission of a key command (using the program Input Director). Or at least a way of opening the FSX Options/Settings/Load menu on each of the Client computers via an FSUIPC control. <<

I don't know of any way of loading that stuff except via the Menus. You can manipulate menus using Lua plug-ins, and you can trigger a Lua plug-in to do things by any number of ways. See the Lua plug-ins examples provided (in your FSUIPC documents folder) -- the Fuel737 and Payload737 examples manipulate the fuel and payload menu dialogues respectively, so should be a good start.

Thank you for this lead. I will explore this option.

The main problem, if you want it to happen automatically on 5 separate FS PCs all together is how each determines now is the time to do a change to xxx. Obviously the FSUIPC's in each are not linked at all. Can WidevieW signal anything? Othwerwise I can only think that you trigger on something happening in the aircraft or the scenery -- Latitude/longitude? Or do you have any buttons connewcted to al 5 which can be used?

No, I wouldn't want it to happen automatically; I would want trigger it from the Server at a time of my choosing. It can be done via the program Input Director, which employs hotkeys and macros on the Server to send keypresses to the Clients (all 5 simultaneously if required) which could trigger an FSUIPC control locally.

Thanks and Regards,

Chakko.

Hi Pete,

I wrote up the following lua script, tested it, and it seems to work.

LoadCFG.lua

--Open Load Settings window to choose .CFG file

ipc.keypressplus(79,16,4) -- ALT O to (Options) with focus change

--Now in Options

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to second entry

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to third entry

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to fourth entry

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to fifth entry

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to sixth entry

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to seventh entry (Settings)

--Now on Settings

ipc.keypressplus(13) -- Enter to select Settings

--Now in Settings

ipc.keypressplus(40) -- Csr Down to second entry (Load)

--Now on Load

ipc.keypressplus(13) -- Enter to select Load

--Load Settings window should open

This was based on code picked up from your Fuel737.lua file. I am not quite sure what is meant by the 'focus change' (in my line 2) or whether that is at all necessary in this case.

Anyway, I am able to trigger this lua script on all my client pc's simultaneously using a hotkey/macro on the Server (via Input Director). Which is precisely what I wanted to do.

Thank you ever so much for your prompt help and advice, and your fantastic program.

Warm Regards,

Chakko.

I wrote up the following lua script, tested it, and it seems to work.

Good, well done.

I am not quite sure what is meant by the 'focus change' (in my line 2) or whether that is at all necessary in this case.

It forces focus back to FS in case it was elsewhere, that's all. Keystrokes go to the program with current keyboard focus.

Regards

Pete