The simFlight Network Forums

Linked Controls in FSUIPC

Dear Pete,

I am a recently retired American Eagle Embraer Regional Jet captain (July 2011), who is now relegated to doing most of my flying on my desktop PC, although I have gotten some SNJ time with my credit union money, but at $800 US per hour I can't afford much! I am recreating my real life flying and my passion for warbird flying as much and as accurately as possible in the VC world and I have a question regarding FSUIPC as to whether or not it would enhance my experience. I have a specific question that I would like to ask. I have tried a few other people but no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. Before asking here I was wondering if we might exchange emails rather than posting here. If that is okay let me know and we can exchange addresses. If that is not convenient for you we can continue here. I only ask as I am new at posting and email is a more comfortable fit for me. The question requires a somewhat lengthy introduction and I am not sure whether there is a character limit in the posts. I will check back here later and tomorrow also for your reply. By the way I have spent quite a bit of time in the UK. London is my all time favorite city. I also go to Duxford every year for the Flying Legends show, and have had the great good fortune to get to know Eric Brown while in couontry.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you can clear up this issue for me.

Cheers,

Wayne Hinton

Before asking here I was wondering if we might exchange emails rather than posting here. If that is okay let me know and we can exchange addresses. If that is not convenient for you we can continue here. I only ask as I am new at posting and email is a more comfortable fit for me.

Sorry, no. I only support via this Forum, unless what you have is confidential for some reason.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

Okay, here goes. I have a large library of commercial and freeware aircraft add ons to FSX. These are all 1930s-1940s warbird types, including single-engined fighters, and both twin and four-engined bombers, as well as my old twin-engined Embraer Regional Jet. I have a total of four Saitek Throttle Quadrants and am currently using one unit with the three axis (ailerons/elevators/rudder) currently assigned for single-engined operation. I know that these units may be linked together by changing out the colored control knobs and reassigning the various axis to fly two or four-engined aircraft. What I want to know is once I switch my original unit to a multi-engined configuration with other units and reassign all of the axis for the particular airplane I want, when I switch back to a single-engined plane will the simulation recognise this and automatically pick up the original three axis assignments? Or do I need to go back and manually reset them? And Then do I need to keep doing this each time I switch from a single to a multi-engined aircraft? Basically I am asking if there is a way to save the Throttle Quadrant axis settings for each aircraft I select soi I don't have to keep redoing them each time I fly. I don't know if this can be done in the Settings/Control function of FSX for multiple aircraft. If not, is this something I could do with FSUIPC? I would similarly like to save control settings (sensitivity/null points) for all of my warbirds, since these would vary from a single-engined fighter like a P-51 to a four-engined bomber like a B-17, and again I don't know if once set manually the simulation would recognise the settings from a selected aircraft and make an automatic adjustment.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Wayne Hinton

Basically I am asking if there is a way to save the Throttle Quadrant axis settings for each aircraft I select soi I don't have to keep redoing them each time I fly. I don't know if this can be done in the Settings/Control function of FSX for multiple aircraft. If not, is this something I could do with FSUIPC?

You can't do it with FS, but it is one of the main uses of FSUIPC. You assign aircraft to Profiles, and each Profile retains assignments and calibrations for all axes, buttons and keypresses. FSUIPC automatically loads the correct profile when you change aircraft.

It sounds like you haven't yet become an FSUIPC user. You know you can install it and study the supplied documentation before purchase? You'd need to purchase a registration to do what you want, though.

If you just want to read documentation without installing it, you'll find it downloadable in the Documentation thread in the Download Links subforum. I think the version there might be a little out of date, but not a lot will have changed in the area of your interest.

Regards

Pete