The simFlight Network Forums

FSIUPC and CH Throttle Quad Calibration Issues

Just purchased FSUIPC (and CH Eclipse Yoke and Throttle Quad). I purchased FSUIC as I have been unable to successfully calibrate the Throttle Quad in FSX (Windows calibration aplication) or when using the CH Control Manager. FSX, Control Manger, device manger all recognize/lisd the device, but attempts to calibrate the quad have been unsuccessful. I read all of the instructions with FSUIPC...yet when attempting to calibrate the throttles, props and mixture controls, FSUIPC doesn't respond to commands either. I have unchecked "enable controllers" in fs and so on. Windows 7 Home Premium.

I assume that I must be missing something. (BTW, when I have attempted to calibrate the quad in fsx, when checking in flight mode the mixture and prop controls work perfectly...not the throttles...when to moved to max they move rearward and move eratically).

...when attempting to calibrate the throttles, props and mixture controls, FSUIPC doesn't respond to commands either.

What is the version number of the FSUIPC you are using?

How are you assigning and calibrating? There are several different methods for assignment and the subsequent calibration will vary. Did you not try simply letting FS do the assignments and using FSUIPC for calibration?

Please also specify the aircraft. If it is an add-on aircraft then don't -- use one of the default aircraft first, to get things sorted.

If the CH manager still running? I'm not sure how that gets along with FSUIPC. Most folks use only one or the other I think. Your best bet for advice on CH devices is Bob "Stickworks" Church. Try http://www.ch-hangar.com.

Regards

Pete

The latest version; purchased and downloaded on October 1 2012. Used a default aircraft...that is the Beech 58. I had deleted the CH Control Manager application before I started with yours. I read what was available/written by Church. Yes I used FSX for assignments (as I had finished before attempting to calibrate). I suspect that either I am doing someting incorrectly or that the device itself may be defective since your application doesn't "see" it and I had the same issue with CH Control Manager. However, FSX "sees" it; just won't calibrate the throttles.

Thanks, Randy

The latest version; purchased and downloaded on October 1 2012.

Version numbers are more useful. Latest version with installer is 4.853, latest version DLL available is 4.858

I suspect that either I am doing someting incorrectly or that the device itself may be defective since your application doesn't "see" it and I had the same issue with CH Control Manager. However, FSX "sees" it; just won't calibrate the throttles.

It sounds very suspiciously like hardware, maybe just the particular USB connection. Have you tried a different socket?

FSUIPC4 uses exactly the same method of finding and reading axes as FSX, so I don't understand the distinction there. Maybe FSUIPC is actually seeing the device itself - check the FSUIPC4.INI file, in the [JoyNames] section FSUIPC lists all joystick-type devices it finds. It is probably finding the device, just like FSX, but neither sees any action (or perhaps inconsistent action) on the axis itself. That could be a broken wires, a bad USB socket, or a failed device itself.

Regards

Pete

version 4.8.00 (only verson identity I could find). No devices are listed under JoyNames with devices plugged in. Again, FSX recognizes both devices and responds to movements and buttons. Doesn't make a difference when I switch the devices to different USB ports. It doesn't seem like a broken wire or USB port issue as FSX is responsive.

Randy

version 4.8.00 (only verson identity I could find)

4.80 is now VERY old and I cannot possibily support it!

What do you mean by "only version identity" you could find? It is displayed in the main Tab in the FSUIPC options, on screen in FS, it is shown in the Properties of the DLL if you right-click on it and select Properties-Version (same as nearly all programs and modules), it is displayed in the Log file it produces every time it is run, it is placed into the [General] section of the INI file -- and the main release number is shown at the the top the User Guide, and in the Installation documentation, and, in separate updates, in the changes document. All these ways you give you a proper version number!

No devices are listed under JoyNames with devices plugged in.

If no devices at all are listed, and you have some recognised by FSX, then either FSUIPC is not running or it is an extremely old version of FSUIPC dating well before the 4.800 you say you think it might be! It sounds like something you've installed has wrongly placed its own version.

I suggest you download the current installer version, 4.853, and run it, then run FSX, then close it down, then find and paste here the FSUIPC4 Installer log file, the FSUIPC4.log file, and the FSUIPC4.INI file. Then I should be able to see what on Earth you have going on, or at least make a start!

Regards

Pete

Okay, your question about version made my go back to the simflight (simMarket) email confirmng my purchase, with the key, and a link to the download. So they pointed me to an old version. When I searched for the latest version I found the latest version :). So I downloaded that, installed it and now both the yoke and throttle quad are listed under JoyNames. Obvously I was sold the wrong version. The key still worked for the reinstall. So, now I will try again to calibrate the quadrants within FSUIPC4. Please spend no more time on this, unless I am unsuccesssful. Either way I will write a new post to let you know.

Thanks again, Randy

Pete, I was able to assign axis' in FSUIPC and eventually calibrate throttles 1 and 2 identically...after many tries. However after renabling the controls in fsx, the throttles stll react eratically and when moved to max they immediately move rearward and then kinda' bounce around. I see the same behavior when returning to the "flight" but before renabling the controls in fsx settings. The prop and mixture controls continue to work perfecly. I have had to assign the 2 axis' one at a time...then to the calibration screen and then back to assign the next axis and back to calibration. I have selected direct to FSUIPC calibration in most instances. I tried direct to fsx in one or two instances with the same result. I cleared the axis assignments for the 2 throtlles in fsx before working in FSUIPC.

Sorry to be a bother about this. I have returned to flight simulation after 5 or 6 years of absence. Back then I had Flight Link hardware but sold it all when I had major life changes. Now I am just getting back into it by buying the CH Eclipse Yoke and Throttle Quadrant as a less expensive reintroduction. I hadn't anticipated any issues frankly. I'm a Vietnam veteran, ex-helicopter pilot (6 years) and kinda' love liivng room flying now that I am old and feeble :)

I am retired and have the time to fool with this and want to figure it out. Your help is greatly appreciated. And here are the requested files:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.853 by Pete Dowson *********

Running inside FSX on Windows 7

Module base=5C520000

User Name="Randy Kautto"

User Addr="rdkautto@gmail.com"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

32 System time = 02/10/2012 15:39:18

32 FLT path = "C:\Users\Randy D. Kautto\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

78 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

110 FS path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

562 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

562 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

562 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok

562 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

562 Trying to use SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07

3105 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

3105 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

3105 FSUIPC Menu entry added

3230 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

3230 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

15944 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR

62604 System time = 02/10/2012 15:40:20, Simulator time = 18:39:23 (22:39Z)

62619 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"

66176 Starting everything now ...

892435 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

899798 Weather Mode now = Theme

899798 C:\Users\Randy D. Kautto\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Previous flight.FLT

1724669 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 26 secs = 19.8 fps

1900654 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 57 secs = 19.9 fps

2913803 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 37 secs = 19.8 fps

3609005 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 37 secs = 19.9 fps

4051752 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 62 secs = 19.8 fps

4395360 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 59 secs = 19.9 fps

4411131 System time = 02/10/2012 16:52:49, Simulator time = 18:39:21 (22:39Z)

4411131 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Average frame rate for running time of 370 secs = 19.8 fps

G3D fix: Passes 26543, Null pointers 0, Bad pointers 0, Separate instances 0

Memory managed: 172 Allocs, 172 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

[General]

UpdatedByVersion=4853

History=80T0I592OHGN7ZJW1SM7I

MouseWheelTrim=No

MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1

JoystickTimeout=20

PollGFTQ6=Yes

BlankDisplays=No

FixControlAccel=No

FixMachSpeedBug=No

DeleteVehiclesForAES=Yes

VisibilityOptions=No

OneCloudLayer=No

CloudTurbulence=No

CloudIcing=No

GenerateCirrus=No

SuppressCloudTurbulence=No

MaxIce=-4

MinIce=-4

UpperWindGusts=No

SuppressWindTurbulence=No

SuppressWindVariance=No

WindTurbulence=No

TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0

TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40

SuppressAllGusts=No

MaxSurfaceWind=0

WindLimitLevel=200

WindDiscardLevel=400

WindAjustAltitude=No

WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000

SmoothBySimTime=No

WindSmoothing=No

WindSmoothness=2

WindSmoothAirborneOnly=Yes

PressureSmoothness=0

TemperatureSmoothness=0

DisconnTrimForAP=No

ZeroElevForAPAlt=No

ThrottleSyncAll=No

WhiteMessages=No

ShowPMcontrols=No

SpoilerIncrement=512

MagicBattery=No

RudderSpikeRemoval=No

ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No

AileronSpikeRemoval=No

ReversedElevatorTrim=No

ClockSync=No

ClockSyncMins=5

ClearWeatherDynamics=No

OwnWeatherChanges=No

TimeForSelect=4

LoadFlightMenu=No

LoadPlanMenu=No

PauseAfterCrash=No

BrakeReleaseThreshold=75

SaveDataWithFlights=No

ZapSound=firework

ShortAircraftNameOk=No

UseProfiles=Yes

EnableMouseLook=No

AxesWrongRange=No

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

AxisCalibration=No

DirectAxesToCalibs=No

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes

SuppressSingleline=No

SuppressMultilineFS=No

AxisIntercepts=No

DontResetAxes=No

InitDelay=0

GetNearestAirports=Yes

WeatherReadFactor=2

WeatherRewriteSeconds=1

CustomWeatherModify=No

SimConnectStallTime=1

LuaRerunDelay=66

Console=No

InitDelayDevicesToo=No

MouseWheelMove=No

AutoScanDevices=Yes

OOMcheck=Yes

FSVersionUsed="Microsoft Flight Simulator X",10.0.61637.0

SimConnectUsed=10.0.61259.0

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

0=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT

0.GUID={7774E560-0AEE-11E2-8001-444553540000}

1=CH ECLIPSE YOKE

1.GUID={2A7BB260-0A4F-11E2-8001-444553540000}

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,10

[AutoSave]

Next=1

Interval=60

Files=10

SaveOnGround=No

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

[GPSout]

GPSoutEnabled=No

Port=COM0

Speed=4800

Interval=2000

PosTo6Decimal=No

SimModeIndicator=No

Sentences=

[GPSout2]

GPSoutEnabled=No

Port=<none set>

Speed=4800

Interval=2000

PosTo6Decimal=No

SimModeIndicator=No

Sentences=

[WideServer]

WideFSenabled=Yes

[sounds]

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\

Device1=Primary Sound Driver

Device2=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

[JoystickCalibration]

AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes

ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes

ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes

ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

ApplyHeloTrim=No

UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

FlapsSetControl=0

FlapDetents=No

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

SteeringTillerControl=0

MaxSteerSpeed=60

Throttle1=-16384,-16384,-16384,-16384/32

Throttle2=-16384,-16384,-16384,-16384/32

[Profile.Beech Baron 58]

1=Beech Baron 58 Paint1

[Axes]

0=0X,5565,D,9,0,0,0

1=0Y,7542,D,10,0,0,0

Randy

Pete, you are going to yell at me. I took a break on this for a few minutes and was just looking at the CH Eclipse Yoke, which of course has built in throttle, prop and mixture levers (which I don't use). The problem was that the yoke throttle was conflicting with the quadrant throttles. When I deleted the yoke throttle assignment within fsx settings, it solved the problem. Now the quad throttles respond perfectly. I need a check up from the neck up! Now I am sure that I will be able to calibrate more precisely within FSUIPC. At any rate this was a learning for me...I should have thought of this from the beginning and it probably explaians why others are having a problem with the quad throttles...seems to be a common problem from what I have been reading and no one suggested this solution. It is so obvious it didn't occur to me I guess.

Cheers, Randy

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

0=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT

0.GUID={7774E560-0AEE-11E2-8001-444553540000}

1=CH ECLIPSE YOKE

1.GUID={2A7BB260-0A4F-11E2-8001-444553540000}

Throttle1=-16384,-16384,-16384,-16384/32

Throttle2=-16384,-16384,-16384,-16384/32

[Axes]

0=0X,5565,D,9,0,0,0

1=0Y,7542,D,10,0,0,0

I quote above just some relevant lines from the INI file.

First, FSUIPC does see both devices and records them in [JoyNames] as it should. How was that not occurring before?

Second, those calibration lines show you are setting "no reverse zone", which is fine, but the calibtation values are all the same (-16384) so no throttle changes will have any effect.

Third, the [Axes] section shows silly values like 5565 and 7542 for the "delta". you shouldn't mess with the Delta unless you are technically proficient and know what you are trying to do with it. The Delta is the smallest change which will be acted upon. It is normaly 256, but can be reduced for well-behaved axes, but large values like that means your throttles will be virtually ineffective.

Best to delete the INI file and start again, to avoid hassle with these bad settings.

Pete, you are going to yell at me. I took a break on this for a few minutes and was just looking at the CH Eclipse Yoke, which of course has built in throttle, prop and mixture levers (which I don't use). The problem was that the yoke throttle was conflicting with the quadrant throttles. When I deleted the yoke throttle assignment within fsx settings, it solved the problem.

I thought you said you'd disabled controllers in FSX and were using FSUIPC assignments? Do NOT mix them. Either use FSX or use FSUIPC for axis and button assignments otherwise you are very likely to get conflicts.

no one suggested this solution.

I think you'll find quite the opposite. Look at the tutorials knocking around. Most users of FSUIPC disable controllers completely in FS and advocate this quite strongly. If you don't, then it is best to do all your assignments in FS, not in FSUIPC. You can still calibrate axes in FSUIPC -- assignment and calibration are two separate things.

If you leave FSX controllers enabled, and just delete the individual assignments be aware that FS can automatically reassign the axes and buttons without asking you. This happens if it ever ses the joysticks as "new" connections, which may occur simply because of a USB glitch or power variation. This is why it is safer to disable them completely.

BTW, in general, using FSUIPC only for assignments, it is usually perfectly okay to have multiple assignments for the same action, such as throttle. FSUIPC only processes changes in the input, so providing the axes aren't jittering, or you have them parked in a "dead zone", or their jitter is less than the "Delta" value I mention above, they don't interfere. Dead zones, especially at the idle (or centred) position, are always a good idea for this reason, and also so that you can always be sure of getting a true idle even allowing for variation in axis output (temperature, humidity, voltage, and aging all vary the read-outs to some extent).

When assignments are made to exactly the same functions from two different controllers, and providing these assignments are "direct to FSUIPC calibration", FSUIPC arbitrates between the incoming values, favouring the one with the most deviation from "normal" (idle for throttle, centred for control axes). This makes such assignment useful when building a dual control setup, pilot + copilot.

Regards

Pete

Hi Randy,

Since you said it would calibrate the CH controller from within FS, I'm assuming you're using the 64-bit version of Vista or Win7. That just sends you to the Windows calibration applet and if you calibrate the Quad from there, the calibration data interferes with the CMs ability to do much of anything. It should only be calibrated from the CH calibration applet. With the 32-bit versions of the OS, it popped the CM applet, but with the 64-bits they changed something and that doesn't work anymore. It applies to the CH Eclipse, too.

You need to clear the calibration data for the quad completely to "0"s. You can do it from the Windows applet, start the calibration from within FS so you get the Windows applet, then proceed as if you were going to calibrate. Early on you'll get the option to "Reset Defaults" on the calibration data. Click that, it will clear the data, and then exit the Windows routine without calibrating as gracefully as possible.

The other option is to clear all the calibration data. There's a utility on the Logitech WingmanTeam site:

http://www.wingmanteam.com

called "ClrCalib.exe". You need to disconnect all your controllers, run the utility and then plug things back in, and you'll need to recalibrate the non-CH stuff from Windows. Don't calibrate the quad from there, though. Open the GUI from the desktop and do it from there.

I don't really know if that's all of your troubles, but it causes some very strange operation with the CH devices and it won't work until you do that.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

P.S. for Pete.....

I'm playing with the data below HIDClass, DX gets the data from HIDClass of course and passes it along to FS. There's no reason that FSUIPC and the Control Manager would even be aware of each other, I'm just creating virtual sticks. The calibration problem is the only one I'm aware of, and that only in FS9/FSX and the 64-bit Versions of Vista and Win7. The main reason for using it in FS really is usually the calibration. It knows enough to center the rudder, set the value at the detents, that kind of thing too, but nothing I'm aware of in FSUIPC should be affected.

- Bob

Pete and Bob, thanks so much for taking the time to help. I'm learning. Pete I was totally focused on the quad issue and ignored the yoke, which is why I didn't think about a throttle conflict as I don't use the yoke throttle. My bad!

Randy

P.S. for Pete.....

I'm playing with the data below HIDClass, DX gets the data from HIDClass of course and passes it along to FS. There's no reason that FSUIPC and the Control Manager would even be aware of each other, I'm just creating virtual sticks. The calibration problem is the only one I'm aware of, and that only in FS9/FSX and the 64-bit Versions of Vista and Win7. The main reason for using it in FS really is usually the calibration. It knows enough to center the rudder, set the value at the detents, that kind of thing too, but nothing I'm aware of in FSUIPC should be affected.

I see. That's good to know. Thanks!

Pete

Hi Pete, Hi Bob, and anyone reading this.

I have to say with W7 64 bits I ran with tremendous difficulties with ch products (fighterstick, prothrottle, propedal). For exemple it is mentioned that I do not have to use ch manager, but without that, devices are not recognised.

I read interesting stuff here that I will try (thanks for the explanation Bob).

Currently to have the latest version of fsuipc working, I have to use ch manager with direct mode (otherwise nothing is recognized). I am also using a lua file from Tripod for VRS FA-18 button/some of the axis assignments.

I am currently stuck at getting the microstick of the ch throttle work for displaying radar cursors but I have to follow one other advice (to check the raw box) and of course what is mentionned in this topic.

The thread is at vrs forum.

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8996&start=15

In my opinion it is not at all easy with W7 64bit and ch products with FSX