The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC & Throttle Assignments

Hello folks,

I've assigned my Saitek X52Pro Throttle for three assignments in FSUIPC - Idle / Max / Reverse and it's working fine.

I've noticed, BEFORE I made the assignments, and when flying (PMDG 737NGX) and using AP & AutoThrottle, you could move the throttle lever on the Saitek Yoke and it would not

affect Auto Throttle and speed assignment...which "me thinks" is normal since the AP and AutoThrottle have control.

With the new assignment in FSUIPC, and flying in mode as above, if I move the Saitek throttle, it moves the throttles in the cockpit, thus changing speed, then the plane will revert back to the Auto throttle speed as assigned......I don't think this is correct? Am I missing a step is FSUIPC?

Thanks so much and have a blessed day.

Tom

Hello folks,

I've assigned my Saitek X52Pro Throttle for three assignments in FSUIPC - Idle / Max / Reverse and it's working fine.

I've noticed, BEFORE I made the assignments, and when flying (PMDG 737NGX) and using AP & AutoThrottle, you could move the throttle lever on the Saitek Yoke and it would not

affect Auto Throttle and speed assignment...which "me thinks" is normal since the AP and AutoThrottle have control.

With the new assignment in FSUIPC, and flying in mode as above, if I move the Saitek throttle, it moves the throttles in the cockpit, thus changing speed, then the plane will revert back to the Auto throttle speed as assigned......I don't think this is correct? Am I missing a step is FSUIPC?

I don't use the PMDG aircraft myself, but I think this is because the NGX coding only takes note of the regular FSX "axis throttleN set" controls. This is unfortunate because those controls offer no possibility of a reverse zone, unlike the "ThrottelN set" controls used by FSUIPC's reverse-idle-forward calibration.

One answer I've read from others is to use the "no reverse zone" option in FSUIPC calibration and set the "UseAxisControlsForNRZ" option to "Yes" in the relevant [JoystickCalibration] section in the INI file. This would mean finding another way of engaging reverse, such as either a reverser lever or a button programmed to send Throttle decr controls, as is common for the buttons on full-back positions on the Saitek Throttle Quadrants.

Another possibility is to use the FSUIPC-added assignable controls for "throttles off/on/toggle" to disconnect the throttles when the A/T is engaged. You should be able to program that to operate with the A/T switch, either via dual assignment or macro, or even using a Lua plug-in to read the relavant NGX offset.

Regards

Pete

This thread seems appropriate to the question I have to ask. Apologies if I should be starting a new thread.

I have a purpose built throttle assembly for a jet with two throttles, and each throttle has it's own thrust reverser lever.

I've read the FSUPIC User Guide, but not quite sure how to set these up in FSUIPC (I prefer to do that than work in the FSX menu).

I've pressed rescan and can confirm that each of the four throttles is showing a signal. For (say) throttle no 1, I then check the top left box and get the scroll down menu. From there I can see throttles 1 - 4, so presumably i select one of those. Now do I just press "OK", and then do a rescan for the next throttle ?

For the thrust reversers, do I just select Throttles 3 then 4 ? How do I get increasing reverse thrust to be simulated ?

How is the level of thrust for each lever selected ?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but one has to start somewhere !

I've pressed rescan and can confirm that each of the four throttles is showing a signal. For (say) throttle no 1, I then check the top left box and get the scroll down menu. From there I can see throttles 1 - 4, so presumably i select one of those. Now do I just press "OK", and then do a rescan for the next throttle ?

First, it would be best to read the axis assignment chapter in the User Guide. Pressing 'OK" will close the dialogue, no need to do that before assigning all - and calibrating too.

As further clarificationThere are three ways of assigning them -- two of them "to FS control", which presents you with the same controls as FSX uses -- Axis throttleN set controls which would be just like assigning in fS9 or FSX, and ThrottleN set controls which are like assigning in FS95, FS98 or FS2000 -- and one via "direct to FSUIPC calibration", which is more efficient because it avoid messages going to and from FS each time you move the throttle.

Different methods suit different add-on aircraft, depending upon how they were coded.

For the thrust reversers, do I just select Throttles 3 then 4 ?

No. I would have thought it obvious that throttles 3 and 4 are the 3rd and 4th throttles. There are 4 engined aircraft you know!

How do I get increasing reverse thrust to be simulated ?

FSUIPC provides separate reversers for each engine. You would have seen these listed if you'd read the User Guide. I shouldn't need to repeat it all here.

How is the level of thrust for each lever selected ?

Calibration. That's what it is for!

Sorry if this is a basic question, but one has to start somewhere !

The "somewhere" you should start is reading the documentation. It is all there

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, I think I have a better handle on this now. I prefer the "direct to FSUIPC calibration" based on what you said here and in the guide about efficiency.

One thing I'm still unsure about - how to be sure that the axes are not being assigned in FS itself. You said "the best way is to disable FS's joystick facilities altogether then program all buttons and axes in FSUIPC". That's what I want to do, but how do I disable in FS altogether ?

cheers

Thanks Pete, I think I have a better handle on this now. I prefer the "direct to FSUIPC calibration" based on what you said here and in the guide about efficiency.

One thing I'm still unsure about - how to be sure that the axes are not being assigned in FS itself. You said "the best way is to disable FS's joystick facilities altogether then program all buttons and axes in FSUIPC". That's what I want to do, but how do I disable in FS altogether ?

In FSX? Options-Settings-Controls: Uncheck "Enable Controllers".

In FS9 I think there's a "disable joystick" entry in the settings menu.

Pete

Hello Pete,

Just an update - on the original thread - PRIOR to FSUIPC assignments of Throttles & Reverse, (referencing only PMDG 737NGX) -

I had a slider on the X52 assigned for "reverse thrust" and it worked well. I wanted to use your program for the throttles and use the detent for reverse thrust..........as it is

so much for precise. It worked as I stated, but with the AutoThrottle giving grief when I touched the throttle... but there was also another issue .... I could be flying and all of a sudden P3D would just stop as if you had used the "pause sim button"....would last 3 to 8 seconds, and then continue as if nothing happened. This behavior would last the entire flight and happen 1or two times per minute....with another 3 to 8 second pause. I did "not" get any indication in the menu bar that P3D "had stopped responding"....again, just as if I had hit the "p" to pause sim. I also looked at task manager when this happened and memory and cpu resources were in the mid range, so not a cpu or memory lockup.

OK - sorry for the discertation...."me thought" that maybe the FSUIPC with throttle assignments was interferring with the auto throttle etc........In summary, I went into FSUIPC and

took out the throttle assignments in the calibration. Restarted P3D and the pausing is still happening. I looked at the FSUIPC log file and didn't see anything.

Is there a possibility that I could have messed something up.

Up until the work with the FSUIPC, I haven't had a lockup or issue for months...no changes or additions in software and all has been well.

I printed out a copy of the manual and going through that tonight for starters.

I just want some advice concerning FSUIPC and the pauses? a yes or no.

Thanks so much for all of your help and patience with some of us.

Tom

Just an update - on the original thread - PRIOR to FSUIPC assignments of Throttles & Reverse, (referencing only PMDG 737NGX) -

I had a slider on the X52 assigned for "reverse thrust" and it worked well. I wanted to use your program for the throttles and use the detent for reverse thrust..........as it is

so much for precise. It worked as I stated, but with the AutoThrottle giving grief when I touched the throttle.

The wel-known way to deal with that is use the NRZ (no reverse zone) calibration and set the "UseAxisControlsForNRZ" option. The only other way is to use the FSUIPC control to disconnect the throttles when the A/T is engaged.

Is there a possibility that I could have messed something up.

Not in FSUIPC. It sounds like the pausing is related to either a hardware driver (sound or joystick or video maybe), or possibly a virus checker in the background. Regular 3-8 second lockups when nothing responds are almost always down to low levels modules like that.

Regards

Pete