The simFlight Network Forums

rudder and throttle axis slopes

I am beginning to make profiles and fine tune them for specific aircraft. In the case of the P51 the middle part of the throttle response is very critical. You can go from 40" to 70" of manifold pressure with a small movement of the throttle controller. If I wanted to have less sensitivity in the middle of the throttle axis is that a positive or negative number?

Also tweaking rudder response, I would like more control movement at the extreme ends of the rudder pedal travel. If I understand pgs. 48-49 of the User guide, that seems to me to be a positive value slope. Did I interpret that correctly?

Thanks.

Slim

I am beginning to make profiles and fine tune them for specific aircraft. In the case of the P51 the middle part of the throttle response is very critical. You can go from 40" to 70" of manifold pressure with a small movement of the throttle controller. If I wanted to have less sensitivity in the middle of the throttle axis is that a positive or negative number?

Sorry, I can't remember what sort of numbers they are offhand. I always thought the graphical display was clearer -- a flatter centre indicates less control response in that area. Just choose a suitable curve. You can easily try them in any case -- that's what it is all about. Set something and try it.

Also tweaking rudder response, I would like more control movement at the extreme ends of the rudder pedal travel. If I understand pgs. 48-49 of the User guide, that seems to me to be a positive value slope. Did I interpret that correctly?

If you flatten the central area the extremes have to be steeper in order to cover the same range. The two go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

But again, what is wrong with trying things?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Of course nothing is wrong with "trying things". It's just that said experimentation can be more productive if you have the basic concepts clearer in your mind. Otherwise assumptions of results may be flawed or incorrect. I fairly well understand the X, Y, and Z axes slopes from sensitometric curves in photography but I was just trying for clarification on the throttle axis. For decreased mid-range sensitivity would that be a positive or negative value?

Best Regards,

Slim

Of course nothing is wrong with "trying things". It's just that said experimentation can be more productive if you have the basic concepts clearer in your mind. Otherwise assumptions of results may be flawed or incorrect. I fairly well understand the X, Y, and Z axes slopes from sensitometric curves in photography but I was just trying for clarification on the throttle axis. For decreased mid-range sensitivity would that be a positive or negative value?

I don't know offhand without loading FS and adjusting a slope to be flatter in the centre then looking at the number shown. I can only suggest that if numbers are so important to you, that you do this yourself! I don't remember numbers as I don't think they are as important as the actual effect, the performance..

Regards

Pete