The simFlight Network Forums

Control nulls or deadzones

I know this is very basic for experienced users but I just wanted to check my understanding of these values.

Can I manually edit the fsuipc4.ini to increase or decrease the nulls or deadzones in my controls? I found it tricky to consistently set them moving the controller. Here are my current settings:

Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380

Elevator=-16380,-512,512,16380

Throttle=-16300,16300

Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380

By increasing values 2 & 3 will I increase the deadzone?

Thanks.

Slim

Can I manually edit the fsuipc4.ini to increase or decrease the nulls or deadzones in my controls? I found it tricky to consistently set them moving the controller.

"Tricky"? How odd, when really that is the only way to get what you want. Adjust and test, interactively. Setting the numbers, which are really meaningless on their own, seems a rather strange way to want to proceed. Yes, you can, but I fail to see why.

Here are my current settings:

Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380

Elevator=-16380,-512,512,16380

Throttle=-16300,16300

Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380

Those are almost exactly the default settings, showing you've not actually followed the numbered calibration steps detailed in the user guide at all. Why not at least try doing what it says first?

Also, you will see, in the calibration tabs a part called "Slopes". You may well find adjusting the response curve to be a better way than simply having a wide dead zone.

Regards

Pete

"Tricky"? How odd, when really that is the only way to get what you want. Adjust and test, interactively. Setting the numbers, which are really meaningless on their own, seems a rather strange way to want to proceed. Yes, you can, but I fail to see why.

Those are almost exactly the default settings, showing you've not actually followed the numbered calibration steps detailed in the user guide at all. Why not at least try doing what it says first?

Also, you will see, in the calibration tabs a part called "Slopes". You may well find adjusting the response curve to be a better way than simply having a wide dead zone.

Regards

Pete

Yes I did experiment with the manual settings thru the controller. It was very hard to get the + and - values to match. The controller is spring loaded and always trying to center itself so I was working against that. I wasn't really looking for a wide dead zone just a reasonable one to take the "stick twitch" out of the controls. I am working with slopes as you have seen in the next post. Is -512, 512 considered a wide or narrow dead zone?

Best Regards,

Slim

Yes I did experiment with the manual settings thru the controller. It was very hard to get the + and - values to match.

Why do you want them to match? Most controller axes are a bit off centre, unless they have their own digital decoders.

Is -512, 512 considered a wide or narrow dead zone?

You have to view it as a proportion of the whole range. Some controllers only vary from -8000 to +9000 ir similar, in which case 1000 out of that is a fairly significant 6% of the range. If yours gives -16000 to +16000 or similar it is only 3%. But I'd be surprised if the dead centre position was exactly 0, so it wouldn't really make snse for the zone to be symmetric about 0.

The whole point of calibration is to make the control operate optimally for YOUR specific unit. The actual numbers aren't relevant, they are just the record of what it measures art the points you want to delineate.

Regards

Pete