The simFlight Network Forums

Hello! I'm a registered user of FSUIPC4 and have a new toy - an AV8OR Ace EFB (Electronic Flight Bag).

I saw on one formum thread that someone was able to connect the handheld version of this EFB via the GPSOUT function. The problem I'm having is that when I activate GPSOUT in any way/shape/form, it hangs FSX. Sometimes it hangs while I'm in FSUIPC, sometimes when I exit FSX and, if I manage to do both of those, the next time I fire up FSX.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Devon

I saw on one formum thread that someone was able to connect the handheld version of this EFB via the GPSOUT function. The problem I'm having is that when I activate GPSOUT in any way/shape/form, it hangs FSX. Sometimes it hangs while I'm in FSUIPC, sometimes when I exit FSX and, if I manage to do both of those, the next time I fire up FSX.

It sounds like you have it configured to address a port which has a bad or corrupt dribver. You don't say anything about any details of how you are configuring it. GPSout, unless configured to send the data over a Network via WideFS, simply sends data to the Windows Serial API, designed for COM devices. What then happens is completely dependent on the driver for that device. GPSout doesn't care about that side of things, it only shoves data out the door.

Pete

That's all I'm hoping it will do :razz: . At the moment, though, I'm staring at the GPSOUT panel in FSUIPC Options and Settings. I unchecked the "use" box and tried to exit. 5 minutes ago.

When I am able to get the GPSOUT box to function, I try to set the COM Port my GPS Dongle is set up with (COM4). When I wrote my original post, I was able to see a few COM ports in the GPSOUT drop-down, but now (after re-installing FSX and FSUIPC4) the drop-down for COMMs is greyed-out. If I click on "use comm" or "use name", there is a long delay before either responds.

I have also tried to edit FSUIPC config with the correct settings (Sentences, baud, comm4, etc) to no avail. I am using the settings there that I use when I connect a bluetooth WAAS receiver to my AV8OR (works GREAT).

The situation is that this is a new nav toy and I want to get used to it in a cockpit environment before I fly a new plane from Oregon to Arkansas.

Thanks!

Devon

That's all I'm hoping it will do :razz: . At the moment, though, I'm staring at the GPSOUT panel in FSUIPC Options and Settings. I unchecked the "use" box and tried to exit. 5 minutes ago.

When I am able to get the GPSOUT box to function, I try to set the COM Port my GPS Dongle is set up with (COM4). When I wrote my original post, I was able to see a few COM ports in the GPSOUT drop-down, but now (after re-installing FSX and FSUIPC4) the drop-down for COMMs is greyed-out. If I click on "use comm" or "use name", there is a long delay before either responds.

All this most certainly sounds like faulty driver installations. The delays and omissions are because the enquiries made through the Windows API to ascertain what devices exist, and to get information about them, is causing hangs in those lower levels. I suggest you go to the Windows device manager and tell it to remove all serial port devices, then re-boot and get them freshly installed, hopefully with updated and working drivers. If the problem is down to corruption in your registry this may also help to clear that.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...