The simFlight Network Forums

Toe Brakes

Greetings,

I've done some searching here but found nothing specific to my issue. Here are the details...

FSX Acceleration

A2A Mustang, only

CH Pro Pedals

All axis assignments through FSUIPC

Toe brakes are assigned and operating properly..... almost.

Press left toe brake, left brake

Press right toe brake, right brake

Press both and they negate each other.

I can apply one exclusively but as I apply the other they seem to "sum up" in some weird mathematical equation to equal no toe brakes.

I have checked the behavior in many other addons (even other A2A addons) and there is no problem. With the Mustang... frustration.

I am even able to visibly see this because the toebrakes are animated on the rudder pedals on the model. When combining left and right toe brakes (straight ahead stop), they depress to full brakes at about half deflection of each pedal then then start to release as the brakes are fully depressed. Pressed individually, they go to the floorboards as they should.

Help!

Press left toe brake, left brake

Press right toe brake, right brake

Press both and they negate each other.

I can apply one exclusively but as I apply the other they seem to "sum up" in some weird mathematical equation to equal no toe brakes.

I have checked the behavior in many other addons (even other A2A addons) and there is no problem. With the Mustang... frustration.

If it was the same with all aircraft I would say that you had the pedals in some strange mode, but if it is with just one add-on aircraft I'm afraid the only way to get it sorted out would be to ask their support.

Regards

Pete

BrakeReleaseThreshold=75

Set to 0... can't disengage parking brakes by pressing toe brakes any more but honestly that is not a big deal. Actually, it prevents unwanted PB release.

BrakeReleaseThreshold is there to allow the parking brake to be automatically released with dual brake pressure, as happens in Boeings and many light aircraft. It shouldn't result in a decrease in the pressure being applied to the toe brakes thenmselves. That's a fault of the add-on model you are using.

You could just leave the default setting alone and set the zero value in the [JoystickCalibration] section for the one aircraft or profile affected. In current FSUIPC versions it is already automatically disabled for Airbus's in any case (they don't exhibit this action) -- though this only occurs if the ATC Type in the Aircraft CFG file begins with "Airbus".

Pete

Yes, I know how they are supposed to work. To be quite honest, my flight instructor didn't like it when I released the brakes in that manner. He insisted hold the lever, apply pressure to brakes and ease the lock off.

When you say set zero, what exactly do you mean? I fiddled with the mins and maxes in the calibration tab and that still didn't have the desired effect.

BTW, the solution posted was actually attributed to you on the A2A forum.

Yes, I know how they are supposed to work. To be quite honest, my flight instructor didn't like it when I released the brakes in that manner. He insisted hold the lever, apply pressure to brakes and ease the lock off.

Yes, that's how it works -- I think the "lock" is merely a mechanical device to hold the pressure, and pressing the pedals relieves the tension on that. I have the parking brake on the 737NG cockpit operating this way. But by default FS doesn't work like that, It does release the parking brake when you press "brakes" (eg the '.' key), but when you have toe brakes it doesn't do it, which is why it was added (by request, actually) to FSUIPC.

When you say set zero, what exactly do you mean?

As you said, I was merely quoting you, viz:

"BrakeReleaseThreshold=75

Set to 0"

I was pointing out that this parameter can be used seaparately for each aircraft or profile. If it appears in the separate [JoystickCalibration] section for that aircraft/profile it overrides the general setting for that aircraft/profile only. This change is in the recent versions (4.86).

BTW, the solution posted was actually attributed to you on the A2A forum.

Oh, right. I don't remember. I expect I just suggested trying it in a process of elimination. ;-)

Pete