The simFlight Network Forums

Achieving control smoothness

Hello Pete

Not really a major issue but I find myself fighting with the controls on approach and landing after A/P disconnection

and was simply wondering if you have any tips for achieving smoothness with regard to the rudder,brakes and aileron.

Is there anthing else in FSUIPC other than the usual calibration window that I could adjust/change to improve how these controls react.

I have read about different values in axis assignments etc but don't fully understand how it all works.

Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions, much appreciated

Alan W

Not really a major issue but I find myself fighting with the controls on approach and landing after A/P disconnection

and was simply wondering if you have any tips for achieving smoothness with regard to the rudder,brakes and aileron.

Why aren't they smooth? Do you have old dirty controls, or a poor power supply?

Have you made sure you have no conflicting assignments, like in both FS and in FSUIPC? You can use either but not both. And don't enasble Filtering in the calibration -- that's only for really bad devices or power supplies

If you really mean they are too sensitive for you, not that they are jerky or spiky, then try using the 'slopes' facility in the calibration tab to flatten the response a bit around the central position, and don't calibrate with as much of a null central zone. This doesn't really apply to brakes, though. with toe brakes you should leave a good dead zone near the feet off position so you can use the rudders without inadvertently braking too.

I have read about different values in axis assignments etc but don't fully understand how it all works.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean there. Different assignment methofs, in FS or in FSUIPC, are really mostly intended to allow folks to handle different add-on aircraft methods. Generally the most efficient method for normal (default and simpler addon) aircraft is to use the "direct to calibration" assignments, as those use the most direct path.

Regards

Pete