The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC installer not installing FSUIPC for FS2002 (FS8) and earlier

Hi Pete,

Is it just my computers or has the checking for versions of FS prior to FS2004 (FS9) been removed from the FSUIPC installer? The reason I ask is that unless there is an alternative way to install the current release of FSUIPC (such as access to an unpackaged FSUIPC.DLL file - without an installer) then the only workaround is to first install FS2004 (FS9), install FSUIPC to it, then copy the DLL file to the modules folder in FS2002 (FS8), then uninstall FS2004 (FS9). This seems to me to be a bit of a long workaround path. Is there some simpler way to install FSUIPC to these earlier versions of FS?

Regards,

Joshua Robertson - Creator of FS Real Time

3D Softworks Design Studios

http://www.3dsoftworks.net

Is it just my computers or has the checking for versions of FS prior to FS2004 (FS9) been removed from the FSUIPC installer?

The reason I ask is that unless there is an alternative way to install the current release of FSUIPC (such as access to an unpackaged FSUIPC.DLL file - without an installer)

There's an unpackaged version in the Download Links subforum. There nearly always is. But then you don't get all the extras -- the documentatin in particular. You can get a slightly outdated version of the documents in a separate ZIP in the Download Links subforum, and also the complete up to date Lua plugins package.

then the only workaround is to first install FS2004 (FS9), install FSUIPC to it, then copy the DLL file to the modules folder in FS2002 (FS8), then uninstall FS2004 (FS9). This seems to me to be a bit of a long workaround path. Is there some simpler way to install FSUIPC to these earlier versions of FS?

Not these days. Earlier versions of the Installer used to find them from their Registry entries. But I stopped doing that automatically because the current versions may not work correctly in anything before FS9 -- I am not able to do retrospective testing on those any more like I used to. I advised users a while back to retain their older versions of FSUIPC for that, preferably before FSUIPC3 (so without registration or signature checks). I think you'll find that neither Documentation nor Installation Guide make any mention of anything before FS9 these days.

I changed the Installer because folks who were updating their FS9 version also had the FS8 etc versions changed too and actually lost the last working version they had in consequence. It was safer to disable the automatic update for those.

If you really don't have FS9 installed you may only need to name any file in the FS8 (or other) folder as "FS9.EXE" and point to it when requested. I think that should work, though it may not like the version number. However, beware the fact that current versions of FSUIPC may not work in all aspects. I'm afraid I don't recall which.

Regards

Pete

PS: I don't really know what I'm still even supporting that 10 year old FS9 program! I wish it weren't still so popular! ;-)

I'm able to find unpackaged beta versions of FSUIPC in the Download Links subforum. That's not entirely what I was hoping to have to use. I was hoping there'd be access to the same version as what's tucked away in the installer. Perhaps as a convenience, would it be possible for future releases to include the FSUIPC.DLL file alongside the Installer package and have it be in the same zip file?

Regards,

Joshua Robertson - Creator of FS Real Time

3D Softworks Design Studios

http://www.3dsoftworks.net

PS: I know the feeling... FS Real Time's still fully supported all the way back to FS98! Ancient by todays standards! lol

I'm able to find unpackaged beta versions of FSUIPC in the Download Links subforum. That's not entirely what I was hoping to have to use. I was hoping there'd be access to the same version as what's tucked away in the installer.

3.999z3 is almost identical to 3.999z2. What's the problem? And it isn't a Beta, but an interim update -- merely an additional parameter in the Lua library function ipc.display.

In fact I won't be making ANY new updates to FSUIPC3 itself, but interim updates may occur from time to time to keep the Lua plug-in area compatible. Both FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC3 have the same code for this. I should probably separate it out into its own DLL, but it gets messier and the size of it really doesn't warrant that.

Perhaps as a convenience, would it be possible for future releases to include the FSUIPC.DLL file alongside the Installer package and have it be in the same zip file?

No, I'm not making the ZIP bigger than it needs be. And there should not be any need. Please see my last reply.

Pete