The simFlight Network Forums

Extinguishing an LED

Pete

I have a Kory type switch in my electrical panel that connects the APU generator when it's been started. There are two LEDs in the switch -- AVAIL and ON. To illuminate the AVAIL LED I'm using APU Generator Active Flag (ofset 0B52). When I press the switch to connect the APU the ON LED illuminates but the AVAIL needs to extinguish. How can I achieve this?

Thanks

Alan

I have a Kory type switch in my electrical panel that connects the APU generator when it's been started. There are two LEDs in the switch -- AVAIL and ON. To illuminate the AVAIL LED I'm using APU Generator Active Flag (ofset 0B52). When I press the switch to connect the APU the ON LED illuminates but the AVAIL needs to extinguish. How can I achieve this?

Sorry, I don't know how you are achieving the first part. There is no LED controlling interface in FSUIPC, so i assume you are talking about some other software. How am I supposed to know what it is and how it works? And in any case if you can light an LED surely you can extinguish one too? Else things will stay lit forever after.

regards

Pete

Sorry, I don't know how you are achieving the first part. There is no LED controlling interface in FSUIPC, so i assume you are talking about some other software. How am I supposed to know what it is and how it works?

regards

Pete

Pete

I don't understand that comment because otherwise we couldn't turn lights on and off in our sim. Offset 0B52 (APU Generator Active) is listed in the FSUIPC offset table and it's a read only offset. It is active when the APU is running. Ideally an offset for APU Generator Inactive would work but I don't see it. There is APU Generator Off but then that turns the APU off which is not what I want -- I just need some way of "canceling" offset 0B52.

Thanks

Alan

I don't understand that comment because otherwise we couldn't turn lights on and off in our sim. Offset 0B52 (APU Generator Active) is listed in the FSUIPC offset table and it's a read only offset. It is active when the APU is running.

You asked me how to turn an LED off, NOT about any offsets!. I don't know how your LEDs are connected nor how you are turning them on or off, so why ask me how to turn one off?

Ideally an offset for APU Generator Inactive would work but I don't see it. There is APU Generator Off but then that turns the APU off which is not what I want -- I just need some way of "canceling" offset 0B52.

If you are asking about an offset then you really need to say so, not ask how to turn an LED on or off!

By "cancelling" 0B52, what do you mean? That offset shows the state of the APU Generator -- whether it is ACTIVE or not (i.e. on).

I think you have it all mixed up. Surely your "AVAIL" light is not related to the status of the Generator, but the status of the APU -- when the APU is fully running but the generator is Off, the AVAIL light should be on. When you turn the generators on, or the APU off, then the AVAIL light should go off. The APU is fully running when offset 0B54 (a 32-bit float) is 100% (actually, best use >=99% as it never quite gets to 100% -- 99.999 is the highest I've seen it).

Both 0B51 and 0B52 are set when you operate the Generator switch if the APU is running. One shows the switch position, the other whether the generator runs. (This is with the default 738).

BTW the APU generator switch turns the APU generator on or off, not the APU itself as you state.

Please do ask the question you actually want answered next time. I would save a couple of days I'm sure! I'm not good at reading between the lines ;-)

Pete

Pete

Sorry for the obfuscation :???: Yes -- I did mean APU generator I guess I was too economical with my words. :???: If I set the light to ON with offset 0B52, can I then use offset 66C0 (and set the bit to 0) when the switch is in Down (On) position to turn the light OFF or will the presence of 0B52 always keep it ON?

Thanks

Alan

If I set the light to ON with offset 0B52

Hold on a moment. As I said, I think you have the logic of this all wrong in any case. The AVAIL light is nothing to do with 0B52, except insofar as when 0B52 is non-zero, the AVAIL light should be off. The AVAIL light is surely based on the state of the APU, not the generator. It is on when the generator is off but the APU is running. It tells you when to press the Generator switch. At least this is most certainly the case with a 737. I've no idea with other aircraft, but if you are turning the LED on when the Generator is on, I can't see why you'd want to turn it off when the generator is still on. What do YOU think the AVAIL light is telling you?

... can I then use offset 66C0 (and set the bit to 0) when the switch is in Down (On) position to turn the light OFF or will the presence of 0B52 always keep it ON?

Again you are asking questions which are 100% related to how you are dirving the LED, which you never explained and cannot be done by FSUIPC which has no LED output drving facilities.

I get a very strong feeling you don't read all of my replies, otherwise you'd have surely seen the logic i think you should be using.

Pete

I think there is miscommunication going on here (or at the least on my part for which I apologize) so let me start over. I am solely referring to the APU generator. In my Lear45 I can start the APU generator from the APU panel on the center console. I have an APU switch on my MIP electrical panel that has two LEDs in it and one lights up to say AVAIL when the APU is running. According to the aircraft manual the aforementioned switch can then be pushed to disconnect the aircraft from its batteries and connect the APU to the aircrafts electrical system at which time the second LED in the switch illuminates ON to show that the APU is now powering the aircraft and the AVAIL light is then extinguished.

As I said I used offset 0B52 (APU Generator Running) to illuminate the AVAIL light and now need an offset to extinguish it when the APU switch is pushed to the on position which is why I asked about the offset 66C0.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Alan

n my Lear45 I can start the APU generator from the APU panel on the center console. I have an APU switch on my MIP electrical panel that has two LEDs in it and one lights up to say AVAIL when the APU is running. According to the aircraft manual the aforementioned switch can then be pushed to disconnect the aircraft from its batteries and connect the APU to the aircrafts electrical system at which time the second LED in the switch illuminates ON to show that the APU is now powering the aircraft and the AVAIL light is then extinguished.

Yes, exactly. All of that is just as in the 737, and as I said to you.

As I said I used offset 0B52 (APU Generator Running) to illuminate the AVAIL light

But that is your problem! That is plain wrong! The APU generator running does actually mean the APU generator is running, not just "available". How many more times do I have to tell you? You just said clearly yourself, above, that "two LEDs in it and one lights up to say AVAIL when the APU is running"! Which is EXACTLY correct. The AVAIL light says the APU is ready to drive the generator, NOT that the generator is running!!!!

Hope that makes sense.

You do not read what I write, and you do not even read what you quote from the aircraft manual. If you did you'd know the answers, as i have given them to you already.

I cannot keep doing this with you. You seem to have a regular habit of not reading what is written, either here on in the arcraft manuals you refer to. Please do try harder to pay attention. It is very frustrating for both of us! :-(

Pete

Pete

I did read the aircraft manual which says this:

When the green AVAIL light appears on the APU GEN S/I (the switch/indicator in the electrical panel) the APU generator can be used. Depressing the APU GEN S/I sends a discreet signal to the GCU which connects the generator to the aircraft electrical distribution system. Once the generator is connected the green AVAIL indication will extinguish and a white ON indication will illuminate.

This is exactly what I described in this thread as I wrote

In my Lear45 I can start the APU generator from the APU panel on the center console. I have an APU switch on my MIP electrical panel that has two LEDs in it and one lights up to say AVAIL when the APU is running. According to the aircraft manual the aforementioned switch can then be pushed to disconnect the aircraft from its batteries and connect the APU to the aircrafts electrical system at which time the second LED in the switch illuminates ON to show that the APU is now powering the aircraft and the AVAIL light is then extinguished.
To which you replied
Yes, exactly. All of that is just as in the 737, and as I said to you.
I took that to mean you understood what I meant. But then you wrote
The APU generator running does actually mean the APU generator is running, not just "available".and all I really don't know how to make myself more clear.

You confused me when you started referring to the APU and generator as if they were separate entities.

The AVAIL light says the APU is ready to drive the generator, NOT that the generator is running!!!!
Per the manual the AVAIL light indicates that the APU Generator is available to power the electrical system.

All I was asking for was a way to turn the AVAIL light off when connecting the APU with the APU GEN S/I switch as per the aircraft manual maybe using offset 66C0 .

Regards

Alan

I did read the aircraft manual which says this

There's no need to quote that. I know this stuff.

You confused me when you started referring to the APU and generator as if they were separate entities.

Why? Do you think the APU IS the generator? The APU is a small jet engine used to provide both bleed air and electrical power. You have to start the APU and when it is running properly (which takes some seconds) you can swutch on the generator. you do not switch on the generator until the AVAIL light comes on which says the APU is ready to drive it.

Per the manual the AVAIL light indicates that the APU Generator is available to power the electrical system.

Exactly! As i've now said several times. you are STILLnot reading what I write!!!!

Your problem is that you are lighting the AVAIL light when the generator is ON, which is certainly incorrect.

All I was asking for was a way to turn the AVAIL light off when connecting the APU with the APU GEN S/I switch as per the aircraft manual maybe using offset 66C0 .

I've given you the answer. Drive the AVAIL light ON when the APU is ready and the generator is OFF. Turn the AVAIL light off when the APU is off or the generator is on. Simple. And i've said it twice before.

This thread is getting really stupid. You ignore everything I say and simply repeat things which you don't even appear to read yourself. You accuse me of not understanding what you are saying, but it is you who don't understand what you are saying! I try my utmost to help, but you persist in ignoring everything. It is futile to continue. I give up.

This is not the first time this has happened, and I am not wanting it to happen again, so in future I will leave any messages from you for someone else to answer. Maybe they'll have enough patience to suffer your refusal to read their answers properly. Good luck!

Pete

Pete

You are totally missing the point here. I'll say this just one more time and if you choose to answer or not -- that's your choice. In the context of this discussion of the Lear45, the APU generator is running. I don't care if in the sequence of the APU system the APU starts and then then the APU generator is started -- it's immaterial -- the APU generator is running and power is available. We have established that the APU is running and the generator is providing power -- okay. Now the GCU tells the pilot that there is APU power available by illuminating the AVAIL light and the pilot now pushes the APU GEN S/I switch to connect the APU that is running and producing power to the electrical system. According to Bombardier -- who I'm sure know how their systems operate, the AVAIL light is extinguished and the ON light is lit. What part of that sequence don't you understand?

Could someone who understands this sequence please let me know how to extinguish the AVAIL light?

Thanks

Alan

You are totally missing the point here. I'll say this just one more time and if you choose to answer or not -- that's your choice. In the context of this discussion of the Lear45, the APU generator is running. I don't care if in the sequence of the APU system the APU starts and then then the APU generator is started -- it's immaterial -- the APU generator is running and power is available. We have established that the APU is running and the generator is providing power -- okay. Now the GCU tells the pilot that there is APU power available by illuminating the AVAIL light and the pilot now pushes the APU GEN S/I switch to connect the APU that is running and producing power to the electrical system. According to Bombardier -- who I'm sure know how their systems operate, the AVAIL light is extinguished and the ON light is lit. What part of that sequence don't you understand?

My last answer. I understand all of it, as I already said. But 0B52 is the indicator which says the generator is ON and supplying power. You should not use that to light the AVAIL light as I keep saying. By the time 0B52 is set the AVAIL light should be out. The AVAIL light only lights when the APU is running and ready to supply power once you operate the generator switch. Using the generator switch status to light it is wrong. Use the APU RPM as I said.

I keep explaining this but you persist in repeating the same thing. You are right in that the operation is as you say, but you are interpreting it and the offsets incorrectly. You are the most obstinate person I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, and you ignore everything I tell you so that's it.

BTW, the only thing that's different in the FSX Lear45 implementation is that the APU switch not only starts the APU but also the generator. You CAN switch the generator off afterwards (using the off control or offset 0B51), and that's probably the only time you'd ever see any "Avail" light light, because if the APU on and APU generator on switches are both turned on together there's never otherwise a time for AVAIL, which simply means the APU is ready to supply power when you need it. There's no AVAIL light I see in the FSX implemntation in any case, and for good reason it seems.

Good night and good bye.

Pete