The simFlight Network Forums

Question for Mr. Dowson

I have several panels I use in FS.

All are total freeware.

Is it legitimately fair and/or right that if any of those panels wish to connect to FSUIPC that you profit from another person's efforts as well? Since their panels are non-profit, under your current requirements you must still make money whether or not anyone else does.

Nothing personal, but I think that's taking advantage of those who choose to continue to offer things are no cost. As a panel designer, because of your new requirements I now go to great lengths to ensure I never, ever utilize your DLL. If I were making panels for profit, I could see reason for paying you... since, however, I make nothing from any panels I create... I see no legitimate reason for you to profit from my efforts.

You can, of course, choose to ignore this post... delete it... whatever. However, I truly want to know your justification for profiting off of those who make no profit.

Since their panels are non-profit, under your current requirements you must still make money whether or not anyone else does.

How come? Freeware has free access. I provide the keys free, by return, upon application.

You can, of course, choose to ignore this post... delete it... whatever. However, I truly want to know your justification for profiting off of those who make no profit.

There would be no justification whatsoever, if that is what I did. I would have no leg to stand on. It is evident that you haven't actually bothered to read much of what I've published about this. Perhaps you would care to peruse the documentation, such as that in the Announcements and stickies in this Forum, and maybe look at some of the threads below in which this misunderstanding has been argued at length.

I have no wish to ignore or delete messages which show legitimate concerns, and will gladly answer any such so that any others in doubt will also gain from the clarification.

If you wish free keys for any of your freeware works, merely apply to me at petedowson@btconnect.com as so many others have done already. I will send you a full guide with details of what I need to make the keys.

Regards,

Pete

Geez...not another one...what is this, the "Trollz-R-Us" forum?

Hey WarpD, is it fair that Microsoft profits by selling Flight Sim to every one who wants to use one of your panels? Is it fair that Microsoft gets to profit from selling the operating system that flight sim requires to run? Sure it's fair...if you don't want to pay them to reap the benefits of their work, then go find something else more to your liking and price range.

Pete's more than fair...he accredits...FOR FREE...legitimate freeware works that use his interface software. He sure doesn't have to, and with all the crap he takes from people that can't bother to read his policy before spewing forth with accusations and complaints, he'd be more than justified to just ask everyone that uses FSUIPC to pay for it. It's certainly his right...none of us have any claim to the fruits of his labor for free.

What's particularly annoying to me and I presume many others, is that you can't afford Pete the decency to have this discussion with him via private e-mail, rather than tossing this sort of accusatory rubbish out into a public forum. It might have saved you some much-deserved embarassment.

Mr. Scott,

First, the post wasn't directed at you, however it is an open forum so I suppose that necessitates you participating. However, if you don't like what I have posted... *shrug* it is your choice to read or not to read. It is not your choice to attempt to act as if you're "judge, jury, executioner" with regards to the post however. You're not an interested party. As far as email is concerned... I don't believe you bothered to use email to "flambe" me... is this a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality at work? Please take your desire to be a flaming troll elsewhere. Thank you.

Mr. Dowson,

Perhaps the problem is that most of us who are not "elite" members of the Pete Dowson fan club like Mr. Scott is... well, perhaps the information about FSUIPC isn't being put out quite so clearly.

First, I have your current FSUIPC on my system. It doesn't work with a single freeware gauge I have. None. Your current version's definitely been out long enough for these developers to obtain a "key"... so one must beg the question... Are all of these developers either too lazy and could care less if their gauges work any more... or perhaps the issue of licensing your FSUIPC isn't as clear as you think it is?

No information I have, including the documentation that came with FSUIPC provides a clear-cut indication that those of us who will NOT profit from our work get access to FSUIPC at no cost.

One last comment to the "airfarce"... your example of MSFS vs a panel is... well... amusing. Zero merit or validity as an argument... but amusing.

perhaps the information about FSUIPC isn't being put out quite so clearly.

Where? It certainly is here, and this is the only place I have time to maintain. I am busy full time working on FS software otherwise. What sort of "putting out" would you expect?

Are all of these developers either too lazy and could care less if their gauges work any more... or perhaps the issue of licensing your FSUIPC isn't as clear as you think it is?

Sorry, you will have to ask them. I cannot undertake to go out and locate all the delevopers who may or may not use FSUIPC. In fact it amazed me that there were many at all using FSUIPC from within panels in the first place, though I did make adequate provision for this.

Not only that, but I published information about all this when it was in its proposal phase, and got considerable feedback before FSUIPC 3 was first released.

If developers can manage to find the information they need to interface to FSUIPC in the first place, I'm sure that, if they wished, they would find their way to obtaining the free keys they could well be entitled to.

All developer information is intended to be in the FSUIPC SDK, of course, and I am working on it, but it is a long job double checking everything. Many developers do actually help in that process and I am very grateful to them for verifying which values are okay in FS2004, which have changed, and which no longer work. The latter I try to fix, if possible, in updates to FSUIPC, but checking the values is still only half done thus far.

No information I have, including the documentation that came with FSUIPC provides a clear-cut indication that those of us who will NOT profit from our work get access to FSUIPC at no cost.

Where do you expect it to be? It is up to you to go get information, not for me to search you out. I cannot do that. The whole system was described here in this forum from long before it came into being. It has been discussed at great length as you can see further down in the forum.

This forum was actually started back in April, and has been referenced in the documentation ever since then.

Of course only user documentation is supplied with the downloadable FSUIPC. Development information is available from me, as it always has been. When the updated SDK is available, it will all be in there, but meanwhile developers interested in FS2004 have been asking me for details, not just of this registration system, but also of additions, changes and so forth, for FS2004. This is a continuing and on-going process.

I try to help clarify all the details through the Announcements and Stickies at the top of this forum, and, as I said, the forum is referred to in my documents as well as in the Schiratti Dowson page.

If you want free access keys, please apply to the email address I already told you about and I will send you full details by return. If you don't, then I don't really see much point in further continuing this discussion. You obviously feel agrieved about something, though I cannot see why your anger is directed at me and my software, but now it is time for you to either go your own way, as you promised, or to make use of the amenities I can provide. It is up to you.

Regards,

Pete

"WarpD"

You'd find thousands of members in any Pete Dowson fan club, a group which I would be proud to call myself a member. Clearly, you have no clue how much he's given to the hobby for many years now. Ask around. Once again, you embarass yourself. It surely is my choice to point that out, whether you like it or not.

The MSFS analogy is a clear parallel. My 13-year-old son had no problem understanding it. Sorry you're not able to grasp it.

It speaks volumes about Pete that he's still offering to help you obtain free accreditation even after your hostile initial volley (all while hiding behind a pseudonym).

"WarpD"

You'd find thousands of members in any Pete Dowson fan club, a group which I would be proud to call myself a member. Clearly, you have no clue how much he's given to the hobby for many years now. Ask around. Once again, you embarass yourself. It surely is my choice to point that out, whether you like it or not.

The MSFS analogy is a clear parallel. My 13-year-old son had no problem understanding it. Sorry you're not able to grasp it.

It speaks volumes about Pete that he's still offering to help you obtain free accreditation even after your hostile initial volley (all while hiding behind a pseudonym).

Could not of said it better myself Bob........ :)

Anthony....