The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG 777 and Throttles

I currently use FSUIPC to calibrate my throttles.  I am having trouble with the T7.  Their manual suggest deleting the fsuipc ini file to fix.  I assume that would mean I would loose all my settings and I have many.

I was wondering if I could delete just those items that affect the throttle from the ini file rather than to delete the entire file.

Your thoughts?

thanks,

Brad

I just found your question posted in the Download Links subforum for some reason. It won't get answered there so I've moved it to the proper place, the Support forum.

I currently use FSUIPC to calibrate my throttles.  I am having trouble with the T7.  Their manual suggest deleting the fsuipc ini file to fix.  I assume that would mean I would loose all my settings and I have many.

I was wondering if I could delete just those items that affect the throttle from the ini file rather than to delete the entire file.

They always suggest such drastic things. I suppose they just can't be afford time to investigate and advise of the proper methods. Very few add-on aircraft makers really pay attention to those who find more sophisticated ways of simulating, as I only know too well as a full hardware cockpit user.

There are many ways to configure controls in FSUIPC and one of then is bound to work file.

In any case when using assorted different add-on aircraft in FS you should create Profiles for different needs. Each Profile can have different assignments, different calibrations and so on. you can even have a profile where you remove your throttle assignments. But note that if this means you are then assigning them in FS, be aware that FS assignments will conflict with any still left in FSUIPC no matter which aircraft you use.

The PMDG T7 is very new. I expect there will be postings here with the best solutions before long. It isn't something I'm going to be doing myself because PMDG aircraft just don't work with cockpit builds.

Regards

Pete

PMDG's other suggestion is exactly what you said, to set them in FSX and not use FSUIPC, which I find rather annoying.

They seem to work perfectly fine from FSUIPC if the Auto-Throttle switch is off, otherwise they get all wonky. Of course that's not really a solution, either.

I realize it should be on them, and I wish they'd fix it, but I suspect they won't. Is there any data I can provide for you Pete to at least figure out what's going on? I hate to burden you with looking at something that's not really your fault.

They seem to work perfectly fine from FSUIPC if the Auto-Throttle switch is off, otherwise they get all wonky.

It may simply be the way you are assigning or calibrating in FSUIPC.  Sometimes the calibration itself throws the A/T off because they may read the axis directly and then the calibrated value dsagrees.

If you told me how you've assigned and calibrated the throttles i might be able to suggest something. Either way there are these choices, still using FSUIPC only:

Assignment:

1. Assign to FS "Axis ThrottleN Set".

2. Assign to FS "ThrottleN Set"

3. Assign to FSUIPC Direct ThrottleN

Only in the last case there is it vital to actually calibrate in FSUIPC.  If you do calibrate in FSUIPC there are further options:

1. Normal, no options changed.

2. No Reverse Zone

3. No Reverse Zone with "UseAxisControlsForNRZ=Yes" set in the INI file (in the relevant JoystickCalibration profile if not wanted universally).

That gives 11 combinations to try (4 each for assignment methods 1 and 2, including no FSUIPC calibration,  and 3 for assignment method 3). One of those should work. Else there may be other ways yet to be determined, as was the case with the Aerosoft AirbusX (which needed L:Vars written to to control throttles!).

Is there any data I can provide for you Pete to at least figure out what's going on?

No, but the symptoms sound familiar. Don't you have the PMDG 737NGX or the Aerosoft Airbus Extended? I think one or the other of those had similar problems and solutions were found. It might be worth browsing a bit.

Regards

Pete

It may simply be the way you are assigning or calibrating in FSUIPC.  Sometimes the calibration itself throws the A/T off because they may read the axis directly and then the calibrated value dsagrees.

If you told me how you've assigned and calibrated the throttles i might be able to suggest something. Either way there are these choices, still using FSUIPC only:

Assignment:

1. Assign to FS "Axis ThrottleN Set".

2. Assign to FS "ThrottleN Set"

3. Assign to FSUIPC Direct ThrottleN

Only in the last case there is it vital to actually calibrate in FSUIPC.  If you do calibrate in FSUIPC there are further options:

1. Normal, no options changed.

2. No Reverse Zone

3. No Reverse Zone with "UseAxisControlsForNRZ=Yes" set in the INI file (in the relevant JoystickCalibration profile if not wanted universally).

That gives 11 combinations to try (4 each for assignment methods 1 and 2, including no FSUIPC calibration,  and 3 for assignment method 3). One of those should work. Else there may be other ways yet to be determined, as was the case with the Aerosoft AirbusX (which needed L:Vars written to to control throttles!).

No, but the symptoms sound familiar. Don't you have the PMDG 737NGX or the Aerosoft Airbus Extended? I think one or the other of those had similar problems and solutions were found. It might be worth browsing a bit.

Regards

Pete

I'll have to look at how I had it set, but I've tried every combination I can think of. I'll try some of the ones you listed, too.

Right now, to get it to work, I have it sending directly to FSX, but I hate that. I'm pretty sure it was 3/2 from above, but I can't say until I check the non-profile-specific options.

As far as the other craft, I never had any problems with the NGX that were throttle related, those were more the weird way they were doing mouseclicks in some areas (I have a problem in the T7 with the landing lights that's like that, but it's nowhere near as big a deal as not being able to use throttles).

Right now, to get it to work, I have it sending directly to FSX, but I hate that.

Using FSUIPC to send directly to FSX, you mean, i.e. option 1 with no FSUIPC calibration? Or do you mean not using FSUIPC at all?

Assignment direct, via option 3, is likely to be the worst for something which reads the axis controls itself because it would make FSUIPC read them and feed them into SimConnect at a lower priorty level Than they are likely trapping. In other words, FSUIPC is bypassing their traps. The most likely to work is assignment option 1 with no calibration.

Pete

Because it means I can't set up the reverses correctly. And because I have it set to calibrate with FSUIPC for every other plane, but now I have to undo that, too, because I had to turn on FSX controllers.

Basically because I want FSUIPC to handle everything.

Because it means I can't set up the reverses correctly. And because I have it set to calibrate with FSUIPC for every other plane, but now I have to undo that, too, because I had to turn on FSX controllers.

I think there's some severe misunderstanding here. Why turn on FSX contorllers if you are assigning in FSUIPC, as you said (Remember? You said "Option 1 with no calibration"? -- that's assignment in FSUIPC, as ALL the options I gave were, but to the FS Axis controls). I dudn't itemise any option involving assignment in FSX. All 11 combinations were in FSUIPC.

As for reversers, maybe you can't do it that way in the T7 (I dn't know), but with Profiles you can do it differently in each aircraft type in any case.

Pete

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood that. Right now, the throttles aren't being handles by FSUIPC at all because no options I tried worked with T7, and PMDG's answer was to just use FSX's.

Which means I can't set the reversers up with the throttles either, because FSUIPC is essentially "ignoring" the throttles.

Not to muddy the waters, but I use the Saitek Pro Yoke and Throttle, using FSUIPC to calibrate them. I've had my settings for the NGX working just fine, so I added the 777 Aircraft ID to my [Profile.NGX] section of fsuipc.ini and it works marvelously - including reverse, flaps, gear, and trim. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Jerry Post

Edited by Big_Duke

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood that. Right now, the throttles aren't being handles by FSUIPC at all because no options I tried worked with T7, and PMDG's answer was to just use FSX's.

Which means I can't set the reversers up with the throttles either, because FSUIPC is essentially "ignoring" the throttles.

Well I'm certain one of the options i listed will work.  And FSUIPC won't "ignore" anything if you tell it to handle it.

Not to muddy the waters, but I use the Saitek Pro Yoke and Throttle, using FSUIPC to calibrate them. I've had my settings for the NGX working just fine, so I added the 777 Aircraft ID to my [Profile.NGX] section of fsuipc.ini and it works marvelously - including reverse, flaps, gear, and trim. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Right. I wondered about that. It seemed unlikely for PMDG to do something completely different again. (Though saying that, it does seem that Aerosoft did something completely different between the Airbus X and the Extended version).

Regards

Pete