The simFlight Network Forums

Relocating FSUIPC text window

kmw

Hi,

is it possible to relocate the starting position of the fsuipc text window?

I have set coordinates and sizes for all my panels in various aircraft, and I would like to do the same for the fsuipc window, so that it always starts in a designated place.

But it seems that the coordinates get re-written every time fsx starts.

regards

Keith

is it possible to relocate the starting position of the fsuipc text window?

I have set coordinates and sizes for all my panels in various aircraft, and I would like to do the same for the fsuipc window, so that it always starts in a designated place.

But it seems that the coordinates get re-written every time fsx starts.

regards

Keith

What do you mean by the "FSUIPC text window"? The multiline one has positions which get saved by FS in Flights, so you simply need to save the flights. If you mean the single line window at the top then I don't think that's saved by anything, not repositionable except manually. But it might be. Save a flight with it displayed and see if there's a section for it. All the Window things are saved in sections like

[XXX Window]

Undocked=False

ScreenUniCoords=500, 400, 7192, 441

UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0

so can have dfferent sizes and positions according to docking state.

Pete

Yes I meant the multiline one. I know its position gets saved with an fsx save, but by altering coordinates in an aircraft panel I can predetermine the location of all windows even without a save. In relation to fsuip, I have found that I can do this with the undocked window via its ini file, but the docked window always reverts to the original default coordinates, and that is what I was trying to change.

But not to worry, if I simply undock it, it immediately appears at the coordinates I have designated.

BTW I can confirm, if you can quickly save a flight while a single line message is visible, it does save their position as well :)

Thanks for the reply, I am impressed to see you have returned and have gone through every post with replies !

Regards,

Keith

Yes I meant the multiline one. I know its position gets saved with an fsx save, but by altering coordinates in an aircraft panel I can predetermine the location of all windows even without a save. In relation to fsuip, I have found that I can do this with the undocked window via its ini file, but the docked window always reverts to the original default coordinates, and that is what I was trying to change.

Hmm. Strange. What about when it is saved? I'll check the FSUIPC INI method here, maybe tomorrow.

Pete

Here's the section as I have it edited:

[Window.Radar Contact]
Docked=920, 730, 330, 194
Undocked=920, 730, 330, 194

If I make fsuipc.ini a read only file, then these lines are preserved. But the fsuipc multi line window still appears in its default position, so editing the 'docked' line does not have any effect on the start position.

If I undock it, it immediately appears at my chosen coordinates.

So having it read-only makes it work when undocked, which is a reasonable solution, though I'm not sure if I am upsetting anything else by making it read-only ?

It's no big deal, I just thought I would ask as I like to set up my commonly used aircraft with set default positions for all windows/panels, so they are correctly set even without a flight being saved. One reason I did this is when using Air Hauler for example, the save function does not work, as Air hauler places the aircraft itself and takes no notice of the previous window positions.

Cheers

Keith

LINDA has a facility built into it which will save your undocked window positions and restore them automatically the next time you undock them, it doesn't care what the saved flight has in it. It can even remove the window frames from the undocked panels (and the main FSX window if you want) too so it looks like they do in full screen mode.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/424-linda/

So having it read-only makes it work when undocked, which is a reasonable solution, though I'm not sure if I am upsetting anything else by making it read-only ?

Only that you won't be able to have any FSUIPC options or assignments etc saved when changed.

I've not had time today, but I'll have a look at why the docked position isn't saved and restored when I do get time. It is on my list.

Pete