The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.921b WIN 8.1 FSX crash

Hi Pete!

Switching to "public" mode ...

It still crashes.

Here what you requested:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: fsx.exe, Version: 10.0.61637.0, Zeitstempel: 0x46fadb14
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FSUIPC4.dll, Version: 4.9.2.1, Zeitstempel: 0x52527a5c
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0001caf2
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1b78
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cec345c40ebaa2
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll
Berichtskennung: 188b24bc-2f39-11e3-bf43-c86000a44c87
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Standing by for whatever you request.

Cheers and THX!

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

It still crashes.

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FSUIPC4.dll, Version: 4.9.2.1, Zeitstempel: 0x52527a5c

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0001caf2

This is the entry point ("DLLStart") from SimConnect. So I believe what you are seeing is not specifically anything to do with Win8.1 but just the same SimConnect bug that affects some folks, where SimConnect's trust checking mechanism runs behind the execution part and the latter jumps into the start place which is not yet actually loaded.

Please see the FAQ subforum thread entitled fsx fails to run after fsuipc4 first installed. The title of that turned out to be a bit misleading. The problem is a timing issue and was accepted by Microsoft as a bug right since the original RTM release of FSX. They managed to reduce its frequency in SP1 and SP2 but were still trying to locate the thing when they got closed down.

Oddly, it affects some folks’ systems on almost every release, but most others never. If I could actually reproduce it even on one of my 6 FSX systems I might have a chance to devise a work-around, but it has never even happened once here – just as it hasn’t on many other’s systems.

The only answers I have ever come up with are all on the thread. However, If this problem is consistent on your system, perhaps I can use you to experiment with small changes in the start-up part (DLLMain). I can't do anything with DLLStart because the crash is actually in SimConnect's call to that routine. but DLLMain should be getting called by Windows' DLL loader before that.

As a start, I've emailed you a little updated version. See if it helps at all -- just a 1 second "sleep" in the DLLMain routine, to try to allow SimConnect to "catch up". If no joy I'll try 10 seconds (ugh) and if that helps, wind it down again. If delays here make no difference I can't really see anything else I can do at all ...

Regards
Pete

Hi Pete!

This regentry was the culprit!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Games\\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\\fsx.exe"="$~ IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll> WIN7RTM"

Removed it and we are running fine again.

(I have seen there is a similar hint somewhere else, but other entry!)

Cheers!

Stefan

Hi Pete!

This regentry was the culprit!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Games\\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\\fsx.exe"="$~ IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll> WIN7RTM"

Removed it and we are running fine again.

(I have seen there is a similar hint somewhere else, but other entry!)

Hmm. Isn't there something like that in that FAQ thread?

I wonder how it gets there? Maybe I should make the Installer remove that, if it is there?

Thanks for solving it, at least in your specific instance. I don't know if that applies to many or most.

Regards

Pete

Hmm. Isn't there something like that in that FAQ thread?

There's one other thread which mentions something similar as a solution:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/73502-fsuipc-access-violation/

The entry there is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

delete the key "C:\\Games\\FSX\\fsx.exe"="$~ RUNASADMIN IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll>"

so it seems pretty similar -- and it was also with Windows 8. It was written up in the FAQ subforum as thread "Possible solution for FSUIPC access violation".

Sorry, I should really have remembered that one.

I've now made the Installer delete any entries in that Registry Key mentioning FSUIPC. There shouldn't be any there in any case. Version 4.921f of the Installer is now up.

Thanks again,

Pete