The simFlight Network Forums

FSX see it, FSUIPC doesn't

It's intermittent, but at times FSUIPC doesn't  see the joystick. However, when I check in FSX, the joystick is there.

What might cause this? The only way to get it back, is to unplug and replug the usb cable.

tony

Not sure why FSX sees it and FSUIPC doesn't -- it is almost always the other way round. Are you using Windows 8? Because it seems that's a common problem in Win8 and Win8.1.

Doesn't FSUIPC see them again when you enter the FSUIPC options? Unless you've told it not to rescan, it should pick them up again there. It rescans automatically when you unplug and plug in too.

Check the properties of all the USB hub controllers listed in the Device Manager. You should make sure that Windows power management for them is turned off -- it defaults on, and devices "go to sleep".

Regards

Pete

I am using win7 64. In FSX\options\controls  the joystick is present. In FSUIPC the rescan button is grayed out, or at times it simply does not pick it up.

To be clear, in FSX the joystick works perfectly. In FSUIPC things look crazy.  I did clear some registry entries related to joysticks, but this should not make a difference.  Do you think that a reinstall might make sense?

tony

I am using win7 64. In FSX\options\controls  the joystick is present. In FSUIPC the rescan button is grayed out, or at times it simply does not pick it up.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You only need to use the Rescan to make it find another joystick axis once it has seen one. If you are not seeing any why is the Rescan relevant?

To be clear, in FSX the joystick works perfectly. In FSUIPC things look crazy.

What does "look crazy" mean?

I did clear some registry entries related to joysticks, but this should not make a difference.

Well, FSUIPC depends entirely upon Registry entries to relate Windows Joystick API device numbers (0-15) to the actual DirectInput devices.

When FSUIPC scans for devices and identifies them in the Registry, it updates the joystick names section of the INI file with the numbers, names and GUIDs of each device it finds. Are yours there? If so then it the registry should be fine. If not, then that's the problem. To be sure it is actually setting those, however, delete the existing section and let it build again (don't delete the letter assignment lines if you are using joystick letter assignments).

Do you think that a reinstall might make sense?

A reinstall of what? Windows, FS or FSUIPC? I don't think the latter two can make any difference. Maybe unplugging then deleting the devices from the Device Manager, then re-booting and plugging them in again might get them re-registered.

If you add the following to the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file then it will log details of exactly what it is doing and seeing:

Debug=Please

LogExtras=x200008

Regards

Pete