The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Key assigment

Hi

Is there a selectable option / keystroke from the dropdown list in FSUIPC to assign a button to sync the hdg bug on the current hdg and also the same for the CDI on the VOR. It would be a very useful facility.

Thanks for any help.

Barrie

[Moved from FAQ subforum to the Support Forum so it can be answered]

Is there a selectable option / keystroke from the dropdown list in FSUIPC to assign a button to sync the hdg bug on the current hdg and also the same for the CDI on the VOR. It would be a very useful facility.

I don't know. 99% of those listed for assignment are FS controls, listed from the list provided by FS in its Controls.DLL. Have you tried any? I can see both Ap hdg hold and Ap panel heading hold. I don't think they do the same thing, though it may depend on the aircraft. There are also on, off and set versions of these.

If there isn't one to do the job it would be an easy short Lua plug-in to implement it.

Pete

You would need to pass the current aircraft heading to the proper
OBS or VOR so it would take either a small XML gauge or a Lua script
to do it, I think.

Here is the XML code for setting the various available KEY events:

(A:Plane heading degrees magnetic,degrees) (>K:VOR1_SET)
(A:Plane heading degrees magnetic,degrees) (>K:VOR1_OBI)
(A:Plane heading degrees magnetic,degrees) (>K:VOR2_OBI)
(A:Plane heading degrees magnetic,degrees) (>K:HEADING_BUG_SET)

Here is a sample XML gauge to set the OBS1. Just change the "55"
to the code for the key you would like to use.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Gauge Name="B17G Flare Control" Version="1.0">

<Keys>
    <On Key="55">   <!-- Key 55 is 7 on the main keyboard -->

</On>
  </Keys>

</Gauge>

Here are ther FSUIPC4 offsets for the various functions. You could
use a Lua script to read in the aircraft heading and write it out
to the offset you wish to set.

VOR1_OBI_DEC  65662  
VOR1_OBI_INC  65663  
VOR1_SET      65716   <------ Sets OBS 1
VOR2_OBI_DEC  65664  
VOR2_OBI_INC  65665  
VOR2_SET      65717   <------ Sets OBS 2

Using offsets to obtain the Plane heading degrees magnetic,degrees you would need to
read two offsets and subtract the magnetic variation:

0580  4  Heading, *360/(65536*65536) for degrees TRUE.
02A0  2  Magnetic variation (signed,  –ve = West). For degrees
        *360/65536. Convert True headings to Magnetic by  subtracting
        this value, Magnetic headings to True by adding this value.

Using XML is much simpler!

Paul

You would need to pass the current aircraft heading to the proper

OBS or VOR so it would take either a small XML gauge or a Lua script

to do it, I think.

If it is only to set the AP heading then I just tried.

As I said, to set the AP heading hold there are two controls: Ap hdg hold and Ap panel heading hold. So, I tried both (as in fact I thought the OP might)..

Ap panel heading hold just sets the AP heading hold on or off. It doesn't change the heading itself.

Ap hdg hold sets the AP heading to the current heading, and sets the hold action on.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Wow, druid! What is the purpose of "syncing" the current heading to the CDI (this is sort of taken care of by the autopilot's NAV or LOC button under certain conditions) !? This is my understanding of VOR receiver operation: Only proper interpretation of the CDI/OBS and heading will provide meaningful information. It's perhaps the best thing that the VOR transmitters are being phased out for the more user-friendly GPS but until then...  A Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) is a combination of a VOR receiver and heading indicator (as long as it matches the magnetic compass' heading) and is a great way to give a "bird eye's" view. One must keep in mind that the VOR receiver, with a valid signal, only "knows" what radial it's on - that is all it can "know" - period! Again, only proper interpretation of the OBS, CDI and heading can provide valuable information. For example, the only time that the heading could match the CDI centered would be 1) The aircraft would be located on the exact radial that the OBS is set. 2) And the aircraft is actually heading in the same direction set by the OBS and there is no wind. With a "FROM" flag showing, this would then indicate that the aircraft is flying outbound from the VOR transmitter. If the CDI was centered and the aircraft's heading was 180 Deg. opposite of the OBS setting, then the aircraft would be located opposite of the radial selected, provided there was no wind.   With a "TO" flag showing, then the aircraft would be inbound to the VOR transmitter. In particular, if you were instructed by ATC to track inbound on a particular radial, you would not want the heading and CDI (OBS) to be in "sync." If wind is present (depending on its magnitude and direction), and the CDI was centered, then the heading could not match the OBS and should not match if tracking the assigned radial. In addition, if you were instructed by ATC to intercept and either track inbound or outbound on a particular radial, again, heading should not match the OBS (...at least until on the outbound radial and no wind). Given the above understanding, how could "syncing" CDI and heading be useful?