The simFlight Network Forums

Conditional keypress

Hello!

The following applies to FSUIPC4, Version 4.921f and PMDG 737NGX.

What I'm trying to make happen is the following:

1. When I push and release a certain keycombination, I somehow declare to FSX that I've shifted to "HGS-typing mode".

2. The numpad on my keyboard now sends controls to FSX so that if I press Num 1, the the corresponding number is pushed on the HGS-panel in the NGX.

3. When I release the keycombination, pushing Num 1 will no longer do anything to the HGS-panel in the NGX.

I don't even have a sample of what I have done so far because I can't find any appropriate functions to do what I want to do.

Is what I want to accomplish even possible?

Best regards

Johan Nordqvist

The following applies to FSUIPC4, Version 4.921f and PMDG 737NGX.

You first need to update to a supported version -- 4.927a or later.

1. When I push and release a certain keycombination, I somehow declare to FSX that I've shifted to "HGS-typing mode".

I've no idea what that is. Do you know how to do that without using FSUIPC?

2. The numpad on my keyboard now sends controls to FSX so that if I press Num 1, the the corresponding number is pushed on the HGS-panel in the NGX.

Okay. Obviously I'd need to know what that is in the first place. How do you do it without FSUIPC?

3. When I release the keycombination, pushing Num 1 will no longer do anything to the HGS-panel in the NGX.

Which keycombination is that? You already pressed and released one combination. Do you mean doing the same thing again? i..e press and release?

I don't even have a sample of what I have done so far because I can't find any appropriate functions to do what I want to do.

You've done something already?

If you can explain what you actually need to do, i.e. what actual keystroke, mouse operations, or controls, are needed to do what you want to do, then perhaps we can work something out. but I don't know what the output of all these actions is intended to be, so i can't say how to achieve it!

Is what I want to accomplish even possible?

If it is possible using other methods, maybe, but you need ot say what those are.

Pete

Okay, I'll make a new attempt. What I want is that when I press and release, let's say Ctrl + Shift + H, I will then be able to enter data into the HUD setup panel on the pedestal of the NGX, using the numpad on the keyboard.

Here's an example:

1. I press Ctrl + Shift + H to enable numpad inputs to the HUD setup panel.

2. I press "+", num 1, num 0, num 0, num 0 on my keyboard which enters 1000 into the HUD setup panel. (the plus sign, will be connected to the RWY-button on the NGX panel)

3. I press Ctrl + Shift + H to disable numpad inputs to the HUD setup panel.

In other words, if I push any of the numpad keys without first pushing Ctrl + Shift + H to enable these inputs, nothing will happen.

All I've been doing so far, is reading about compound buttons and key assignments in the documentation provided along with FSUIPC.

Johan

Okay, I'll make a new attempt. What I want is that when I press and release, let's say Ctrl + Shift + H, I will then be able to enter data into the HUD setup panel on the pedestal of the NGX, using the numpad on the keyboard.

Here's an example:

1. I press Ctrl + Shift + H to enable numpad inputs to the HUD setup panel.

2. I press "+", num 1, num 0, num 0, num 0 on my keyboard which enters 1000 into the HUD setup panel. (the plus sign, will be connected to the RWY-button on the NGX panel)

3. I press Ctrl + Shift + H to disable numpad inputs to the HUD setup panel.

The trouble is that you don't actually say how this is done now. What actions do you do now which are different from that list?  There is no problem with pressing key combinations and keys in the way you want, but if those keys don't do what you want, what's the point?

I tried to explain this lack of information last time. You want key presses to do something, but it's that something I would need to know. How do you do that something at present?

In other words, if I push any of the numpad keys without first pushing Ctrl + Shift + H to enable these inputs, nothing will happen.

That would just be by having the Ctrl+Shift+H combination set a Flag, which is tested for the other actions. But flags and compound buttons are for button assignments, not keypresses.

And in any case, surely it should not be needed? Somehow whatever the keys do when you are doing it normally must be switching modes in any case, but until we know how and what that mechanism is there's no way to work out what you want to do.

All I've been doing so far, is reading about compound buttons and key assignments in the documentation provided along with FSUIPC.

Compound buttons are for buttons. You are using a keyboard. I suspect, at this stage, it would be better to read about the aircraft mechanism you are trying to use, and describing it here so I can understand what currently possible action you are trying to accomplish differently.

[LATER]

I've been trying to think how I might help even without knowing what the end result of the key assignments is intended to be.

Just purely on the subject of "conditional keypress", there are only two ways of doing that. either using a Lua plug-in program, or by setting a value into an FSUIPC offset (by assigning to an Offset Byte Set, or more likely in your case, Offset Byte Togglebits control with a parameter of, say 255), then have two key assignments for each of your NumPad keys, one testing the offset for non-zero and the other for zero. for example, suppose you used the free user offset x66C0, preceding the key assignment encoding in the INI by

B66C0=0

then a space, will make the key assignment only operate when 66C0 is zero.

B66C0!0

does the opposite. Thus you have two different key actions depending on 66C0 which you can reverse (0 to 255 to 0 etc) using your other key combination assigned to "offset byte togglebits" with offset x66C0 and parameter 255 (or xFF). Of course 66C0 needs to be zero to start with, but it will be unless you have something else already using it.

Regards

Pete

The way I currently set the HUD-panel, is by clicking on the buttons using the mouse. I'm not trying to make some code work, because I don't have a code at all at this moment. The reason I want to be able to use the numpad to program the HUD, is because I do some multi crew flights using one computer and two screens. (hence I wanna get as much as possible from the equipment I have)

I'll look at solving this using lua.

Merry christmas!

Johan