The simFlight Network Forums

Is it possible to limit the of an axis so that in its lowest physical position is above a specific value?

Noel

I've assigned one of the Saitek throttle quad levers to a mixture axis control.  I'm trying to figure out how to configure it in AXIS ASSIGNMENTS if when the lever is physically in the lowest position it will not activate a cutoff to kill the engines but I can't seem to figure out how if that's possible.  I have looked at the FSUIPC owner .pdf and couldn't see instruction on how to do that or even if it's possible.

Thanks in advance,

Noel

You should be referring to the Advanced Users Guide PDF as well as the Lua Library PDF.

That is where the information for doing most everything resides :)

To do what you want to accomplish sounds like all you need to do is scale the output such

that the instead of a range of say 0 to 100 you wind up with  an output range of 5 to 100.

When you assign an axis, in the FSUIPC.ini file the assignment has the min and max values

that were set in the FSUIPC calibration. You edit those values with notepad to have a

higher minimum output for the axis. That would be very easy to accomplish and test.

Another approach would be to use a small lua script to read the axis input and scale it

before sending it to the mixture offset.

Paul

You should be referring to the Advanced Users Guide PDF as well as the Lua Library PDF.

That is where the information for doing most everything resides :)

To do what you want to accomplish sounds like all you need to do is scale the output such

that the instead of a range of say 0 to 100 you wind up with  an output range of 5 to 100.

When you assign an axis, in the FSUIPC.ini file the assignment has the min and max values

that were set in the FSUIPC calibration. You edit those values with notepad to have a

higher minimum output for the axis. That would be very easy to accomplish and test.

Another approach would be to use a small lua script to read the axis input and scale it

before sending it to the mixture offset.

Paul

Yes, maybe directly editing will be the path, as I don't see anything in the interface to do it.  Here it is in the adv user guide:

Additional parameters to scale input axis values

Axis values assigned in FSUIPC4 can be arithmetically adjusted before being passed onto FSUIPC4 calibration (or to FS via FS controls). To do this you assign the axis as normal, then edit the FSUIPC4.INI file. Find the axis assignment there, in the relevant [Axes] section, and add one or both of these parameters to the end:

,*<number> to multiply the axis value by <number>. This can be a fraction, such as 0.5 (to divide by 2), and it can be negative, to reverse the axis direction.

,+<number> or -<number>

to add or subtract a number (an integer, no fractions) to or from the value.

If both parameters are given, the multiplication must come first, and is performed first. The resulting value is constrained to be in the range -16384 to +16383.

As an example, if the normal input range of an axis is -16384 to + 16383 and you only want the positive half, but need to still use the whole of the lever movement:

,*0.5,+8192

would be added to the assignment. The *0.5 changes the range to -8192 to +8191, and then adding 8192 gives 0 to +16383.

After editing, just tell FSUIPC to reload the axis assignments (a button on the Axes page). You won't see the results there, but you will in the calibrations. 

A bit of a puzzle why this wasn't added to the user interface as to me it does seem like it might be quite useful, but a least it's possible to do.

BTW, it looks like one get get their PhD in FSUIPC digesting the Adv User Guide--lots of technical detail there!

Thanks,

Noel

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a puzzle why this wasn't added to the user interface as to me it does seem like it might be quite useful, but a least it's possible to do.

Judging by the feedback, the user interface is already too complicated for many otherwise intelligent users, so making it more complicated for something very seldom needed is not at all warranted.

This is the problem of a general toolkit. A specific tool to do a specific job is easy, but a generalised one which can be used by anyone to do almost anything gets complicated. This is exactly why I stopped adding facilities via either the user interface or INI file editing and provided the Lua plug-in script way of allowing anyone to add anything they can imagine, with only the need to learn a little programming first.

Pete

Judging by the feedback, the user interface is already too complicated for many otherwise intelligent users, so making it more complicated for something very seldom needed is not at all warranted.

Pete

That's funny Pete.  No, the idea is not to make it more complicated, it would be well, you know.  Thanks, I found a more elegant solution in the built in calibration routine.

Cheers