The simFlight Network Forums

FSX doesn't "see" controller?

I had everything running great last night.  I carefully made a copy of my .ini as a backup (with a different name of course) so I would have a reference. 

I logged on to fly tonight from Paine Field WA, PNW NA to Port Angeles in a Twin Otter X and everything loaded fine. I could use my pan view fine as it is the only button on my TF Hotas X that is routed directly to FSX.  None of my other controls or buttons would work.  The only thing different that I can remember from my configuration last night is that tonight I was using FSFO V2 as a verbal checklist.

I am very frustrated.  I thought I had this wonderful addon finally dialed in.  If anyone has a chance to look at my log and ini files and see if they can deduce what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Slim

WDS_FSUIPC4_INI.zip

WDS_FSUIPC4_LOG.zip

I had everything running great last night.  I carefully made a copy of my .ini as a backup (with a different name of course) so I would have a reference. 

I logged on to fly tonight from Paine Field WA, PNW NA to Port Angeles in a Twin Otter X and everything loaded fine. I could use my pan view fine as it is the only button on my TF Hotas X that is routed directly to FSX.  None of my other controls or buttons would work.  The only thing different that I can remember from my configuration last night is that tonight I was using FSFO V2 as a verbal checklist.

I am very frustrated.  I thought I had this wonderful addon finally dialed in.  If anyone has a chance to look at my log and ini files and see if they can deduce what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Slim

attachicon.gifWDS_FSUIPC4_INI.zip

attachicon.gifWDS_FSUIPC4_LOG.zip

Software doesn't change on its own, and nothing touches settings you have made. I can't tell from the files you uploaded because though you called one "INI" and the other "LOG" they both contain the same identical LOG file!! Your settings are in the INI file.

However, you seem to have enabled all sorts of logging and the log does show plenty of inputs arriving from somewhere -- probably controllers. For axes is shows Mixture1 and Mixture2 inputs. After what appears to be a USB device reconnection (you were unplugging things and re-plugging them?), rudder and toe brake inputs. I'd guess that your controls are swapped.

The usual problems folks have is when they have multiple controllers connected and either don't keep them plugged in, so that each time they are reconnected in a different order they acquire a different ID, or you do some update to Windows which also changes the IDs.

The way around both problems is to always use joystick lettering so that FSUIPC can track the movements of the controllers. There's a chapter about this in the User Guide, listed in the contents.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Software doesn't change on its own, and nothing touches settings you have made. I can't tell from the files you uploaded because though you called one "INI" and the other "LOG" they both contain the same identical LOG file!! Your settings are in the INI file.  Sorry.  A mislabeling error. Correct files are attached.

However, you seem to have enabled all sorts of logging and the log does show plenty of inputs arriving from somewhere -- probably controllers. For axes is shows Mixture1 and Mixture2 inputs. After what appears to be a USB device reconnection (you were unplugging things and re-plugging them?), rudder and toe brake inputs. I'd guess that your controls are swapped.  It is true I unplug the Hotas X between sessions.  Occasionally with a malfunction I will unplug and plug it back in to verify a proper connection.  However if the log shows more than 2 or 3 plug ins during a session, something else is going on.

The usual problems folks have is when they have multiple controllers connected and either don't keep them plugged in, so that each time they are reconnected in a different order they acquire a different ID, or you do some update to Windows which also changes the IDs.  There really isn't a different order the way I interpret it.  The Saitek rudder pedals remained plugged in all the time and the Hotas X is plugged in at the start of an FSX session.

The way around both problems is to always use joystick lettering so that FSUIPC can track the movements of the controllers. There's a chapter about this in the User Guide, listed in the contents.

If this concerns the [JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes 

I have implemented it as you suggested in a previous support response.  If it addresses another item, I have not implemented it.

Pete

As always Pete, I appreciate your prompt and comprehensive support.

Slim

WDS_FSUIPC4_INI_2.zip

WDS_FSUIPC4_LOG_2.zip

Correct files are attached.

Okay.the log shows you using the DHC6, which is in profile "Twin Engine Turboprop" with only these axes assigned:

0=AX,256,D,7,0,0,0
1=AY,256,D,8,0,0,0
2=AR,256,D,47,0,0,0

i.e. the toe brakes and the rudder/slew combo. You have no assignments to your controller B for that profile, unlike the other profiles.

Pete