The simFlight Network Forums

"Dev" Keys

Rhysa

I am relatively new to programming with FSUIPC. With the new keys scheme, I have found there is little opportunity for someone to learn and play around with FSUIPC.

If its possible I think it would be great to have some kind of "dev" keys that allowed an application to access FSUIPC for a short time after the build date. Im thinking something where you have a generic key where the company name is, say, "Dev" and has an expiry date to prevent misuse, requiring a change of key periodically. But make it so that the application can only access FSUIPC for 24 hours after the last modification date of the exe. Therefore it would require the application to be rebuilt and therefore resetting the 24 hour period. Therefore in theory it could not be distributed and only useful to a developer. Then when the application was ready to be released an application for a proper key could be made.

This is only a suggestion, and it may (most likely) have flaws, so take it for what u will.

I am relatively new to programming with FSUIPC. With the new keys scheme, I have found there is little opportunity for someone to learn and play around with FSUIPC.

Why not just pay for a User key for FSUIPC, just as you would pay for a compiler or other development tool? I do provide the SDK and full support for free, though I must admit I am a bit late coming out with the FS2004 update for the SDK. Still, if you do have any programming questions fire away.

If you then produce an application for distribution, you'd apply for an access key for it then -- not for access on your own system, but on other, unregistered users' systems. You can easily test the program access key system by temporarily removing your FSUIPC.KEY file, making your own FSUIPC unregistered, so there is no preoblem either way.

Regards,

Pete

A few weeks ago, after receiving some very detailed and comprehensive support from Pete on a programming issue, I found myself thinking what excellent value FSUIPC registration had been. I don't think I've ever seen a product with better support than this. It then dawned on me, ironically, that the support was not part of what I'd paid for anyway!

As a developer, I'd really suggest that FSUIPC is a small price to pay for the superb support you'll get in this forum, should you come across any problems at all.