The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Fsuip & AvPlan EFB

Hi and thanks for the effort,

I have arrived here because I have just installed FSUIPC4 as a means of getting FSX to talk to AvPlan on my iPad. X Plane on the same computer already communicates with the iPad very well.

I have FSX running in Win 8.1

I have both the PC and the iPad in the same network

But they don't get on!

I've followed all of the instructions on downloading and installing FSUIPC, the LUA script and I've made the required adjustments, but there is no output received by the iPad.

I have not yet registered FSUIPC4.

I've configured Plan G to receive position data from FSUIPC4 as a test of the installation and that part works ok. I can see myself moving in Plan G.

I've interpreted this to mean that FSUIPC is sending out the GPS data to Plan G, but it isn't sending it to Avplan. So, do I need to register to get the data to go out on the network, or should this already be working? I'm willing to buy and register, but I want to be sure that I don't have some other  gremlin preventing it from working, before I do.

Thanks

VH-DUX

I've interpreted this to mean that FSUIPC is sending out the GPS data to Plan G, but it isn't sending it to Avplan. So, do I need to register to get the data to go out on the network, or should this already be working? I'm willing to buy and register, but I want to be sure that I don't have some other  gremlin preventing it from working, before I do.

Except for the GPSout facility in the Registered install, which sends standard NMEA sentences out on a serial port, FSUIPC does not "send out data" (it's up to interfacing applications to read it across a defined interface). And there is no networking code at all in FSUIPC itself, only in the WideFS purchasable option, which in any case only talks to the WideClient program on Networked PCs, not to iPads and the like.

You mention a Lua script. I'm not sure whose or what that is, and I have never heard of "AVplan" so I don't know what it uses, but Lua plug-ins for FSUIPC only work with a Registered install in any case.

So, sorry, I cannot advise you. Best to seek help from AVplan's author's or support.

[LATER]

I googled AVplan and FSX and found out what it is you needed. I think you just need to purchase and register FSUIPC, because the Lua script from Jason Beringer does the rest. You just need to edit the FSUIPC INI file to get the main Lua plug-in loaded, eg, from an [Auto] section.

AVPlan looks interesting, but am I right in guessing that it doesn't really provide much for those not flying in North America?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the answers. You've given me confidence to purchase and register FSUIPC. I'll do that soon.

The AvPlan EFB I am playing with is much more than you found. It provides planning and in-flight info for Australia, and what amazes me, is that it includes all, and I mean ALL Australian WAC, VNC and other maps, and profiles for a multitude of planes too. The maps automatically change from one to another as you move or zoom, and the aircraft profiles provide al of the weight and balance info, including a means of tailoring it all to suit a particular aircraft. I have found it extremely valuable, and it worked with X Plane immediately, too. I'll let you know more when I've got it working with FSX, and I've profiled a Jabiru.

VH-DUX

The AvPlan EFB I am playing with is much more than you found. It provides planning and in-flight info for Australia, and what amazes me, is that it includes all, and I mean ALL Australian WAC, VNC and other maps, and profiles for a multitude of planes too. The maps automatically change from one to another as you move or zoom, and the aircraft profiles provide al of the weight and balance info, including a means of tailoring it all to suit a particular aircraft. I have found it extremely valuable, and it worked with X Plane immediately, too. I'll let you know more when I've got it working with FSX, and I've profiled a Jabiru.

I didn't find anything much about Europe, though, which is where I fly.

I used to use Jeppesen FlightMap on a PC, linked to FSUIPC's GPSout facility. Very nice, but too expensive to keep updated. I'd love to have the Jeppesen stuff on my iPad, but that's silly money, obviously aimed at airlines not to ordinary hobbyists.

Regards

Pete