The simFlight Network Forums

Calivration problems CH throttle quadrant

I'm having some trouble calibrating my CH throttle quadrant. The numbers at top of the range, as well as the bottom of the range differ quite a bit, but I guess calibration should solve this. I set the levers all the way up and set the top levels and turned the levers down to idle and set the bottom levels, but when I go back to the virtual cockpit, both levers are in the same idle setting when all the way down, but once I push them upwards, the right lever is a little behind on the left one. This happens in all aircrafts.

I also notice that the idle position of the right lever isn't steady, it keeps jumping a little, which is also visible in the virtual cockpit, where the virtual lever is jumping up and down slightly.

How can I calibrate my levers so they both have the same steady range?

I have a similar problem with an apparent malfunction in my throttle quad.   I'm using the latest version of FSUIPC to control the the inputs from my CH rudder pedals, yoke and throttle quad to my various simulations running in FSX under Win 8.1.  All the throttle axes work smoothly except for the Y axis.  No matter how I calibrate and re-calibrate the Y axis on the throttle quad, inputs are not smooth across its range of movement.  The input of this axis jumps around.  Small movements cause large inputs compared with the other axes.  The Y axis creates variable inputs even when it's fully closed.  I suspect that the potentiometer of this axis is bad but I'm not sure how to verify this or how I go about correcting the problem without buying a complete new throttle quad.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

James M Driskell

I'm having some trouble calibrating my CH throttle quadrant. The numbers at top of the range, as well as the bottom of the range differ quite a bit, but I guess calibration should solve this. I set the levers all the way up and set the top levels and turned the levers down to idle and set the bottom levels, but when I go back to the virtual cockpit, both levers are in the same idle setting when all the way down, but once I push them upwards, the right lever is a little behind on the left one. This happens in all aircrafts.

I also notice that the idle position of the right lever isn't steady, it keeps jumping a little, which is also visible in the virtual cockpit, where the virtual lever is jumping up and down slightly.

How can I calibrate my levers so they both have the same steady range?

Nothing in software can really cure jitter, though it can be smoothed somewhat using the Filter ("F") option in the calibration. It is normally caused by poor power or dirty or worn pots in the controls. Larger movements would more likely be down to bad connection, bad wiring, or interference with other assigned controls.

The Filter option will slow down responsiveness somewhat -- an unfortunately side-effect of any smoothing.

Except with something like the digital thrust control in Airbuses, It is quite normal in real aircraft for throttles not to be exactly aligned for the same power settings. However, if you really want them lined up to save effort, you could use the sync options provided in FSUIPC's calibration for exactly this purpose. With this you choose a number of points along their movement to line up to, so that the calibration is done to a matching "curve" (series of straight interpolations really).

Regards

Pete